Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All, I discovered a valuable safety tip this afternoon concerning my Springfield Armory XD-s 3.3, .45 ACP, (my CCW-EDC), and wanted to share it with whomever it may concern as a safety heads up...

The back story is, the XD-s grip by itself can be painful to shoot with for any length of time. It has a very aggressive "waffle" style mesh engraved into the handle. To alleviate some of the pain I installed a set of Talon Grips, (a rubberized decal), and the felt recoil in this area got better but the Talon Grips did not stay intact for long. They began to peel off at the backside of the grip after a couple of hundred rounds over a period of time. So I then installed a Pachmyr "Slip-On Tactical Grip Glove". Which I seem to really like much better than the Talon (decal) Grips as far as overall feel goes. I've had the Pachmyr's on my XD-s for about two weeks now. I haven't been to the range with them yet.

This afternoon I field stripped the XD-s to do weekly clean-up, wipe down and lube. When I put the XD-s back together I began to go through the routine function checks, with the gun still unloaded, and I discovered that the gun fired with the grip safety not engaged, or so I thought. Now the XD-s has a trigger safety and a grip safety, both of which have to be engaged at the same time for the gun to fire. In this case when I squeezed the trigger with out my palm pressing in the grip safety the gun fired...it's not suppose to do that!

What was causing this to happen is the Pachmyr grip had crepted it's way upward on the gun's grip just enough to hold the grip safety lever in, in the engaged position allowing the trigger to fire during my function checks. When I reset the Pachmyr grip back below the grip safety lever all returned to normal. Yikes... I don't want to have to keep checking to see if the Pachmyr grip has relocated itself enough to engage the grip safety while I'm carrying it in the holster.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do about this right now but I wanted to share this to all who have an XD-s or similar gun with this type of a Pachmyr grip on it.

·
Registered
230 Posts
That is definitely a shortcoming of these grips - they can move while shooting. It's annoying, but I still use them on the 45, because they make it so much more comfortable to shoot. I don't like the grip safety, but as long as it's there, I prefer it to work, so I make sure the grips haven't slipped up when the gun goes in the holster.

For the xds 9, I just use mountain bike tire tubes to reduce the waffle palm effect. They don't give much padding, but on the 9mm they work well for me.

·
Registered
4,383 Posts
I truly liked the feel of the Pachmayr Grip Glove, but I tired of dealing with it slipping so for now it isn't on my XDs 45.

Removed the one from My Sig P220 Carry also,but for different reasons.

·
Registered
162 Posts
This afternoon I field stripped the XD-s to do weekly clean-up, wipe down and lube. When I put the XD-s back together I began to go through the routine function checks, with the gun still unloaded, and I discovered that the gun fired with the grip safety not engaged!? Now the XD-s has a trigger safety and a grip safety, both of which have to be engaged at the same time for the gun to fire. In this case when I squeezed the trigger with out my palm pressing in the grip safety the gun fired...it's not suppose to do that!

What was causing this to happen is the Pachmyr grip had crepted it's way upward on the gun's grip just enough to hold the grip safety lever in, in the engaged position allowing the trigger to fire during my function checks. When I reset the Pachmyr grip back below the grip safety lever all returned to normal. Yikes... I don't want to have to keep checking to see if the Pachmyr grip has relocated itself enough to engage the grip safety while I'm carrying it in the holster.
Emphasis mine...

Just because YOU think the grip safety isn't engaged because your hand isn't gripping is certainly doesn't mean that it's not... YOU put that grip sleeve on, and it was YOU who enabled a properly functioning grip safety.

In this case when I squeezed the trigger with out my palm pressing in the grip safety the gun fired...it's not suppose to do that!

I'm not sure what I'm going to do about this right now but I wanted to share this to all who have an XD-s or similar gun with this type of a Pachmyr grip on it right away.
It did exactly what it was designed to do.

Take it off.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Take it off.

That's what I wish Springfield would do with the grip safety - take it off. Glocks are perfectly safe without them.

As for the Pachmayr grip on my xds 45, I will not take it off - It's not that hard for me to use safely and it makes the gun much more pleasant to shoot.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's what I wish Springfield would do with the grip safety - take it off. Glocks are perfectly safe without them.

As for the Pachmayr grip on my xds 45, I will not take it off - It's not that hard for me to use safely and it makes the gun much more pleasant to shoot.
Thanks Carl for your feedback...

Like I said in the OP I haven't shot my XD-s since installing the Pachmyr grip on it. I hope to as soon as my job will give me an opportunity for some time off. But I do like the way it feels when handling. I'm sure it will feel better when shooting! So for now I'm not taking mine off either, at least not until I've shot with it. Just have to be mindful of the Pachmyr not creeping up over the grip safety again...but thats what we're good at, staying vigilant ;)

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I truly liked the feel of the Pachmayr Grip Glove, but I tired of dealing with it slipping so for now it isn't on my XDs 45.

Removed the one from My Sig P220 Carry also,but for different reasons.
Thanks for your input Heathen, I can understand how you felt with having the Pachmyr grip slipping on you. Today was the first time I noticed it on mine. But I'm going to keep it on for now until I've shot with it, then we'll see what's next...

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
I ordered 4 Pachmyr grip sleeves last summer. I absolutely love how they feel when shooting. I put em on a FS M&P 9/ a M&P 22/ a XDm9 and my XDs 9. After about 30 rounds in each gun they slipped around and all over. As soon as the guns got hot/slip city! Made me sick as I loved the feel . It was in August and if course hot out.
I then ordered the Talon Black Rubber for the XDm and XDs. Cleaned my grips good with alcohol and pressed on the Talons. Approx 10,000 rounds on those two pistols and carry one or the other daily. No peeling but if they do I'll order more. Good cheap grip tape!
I still like the feel of the Pachmyr though.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I ordered 4 Pachmyr grip sleeves last summer. I absolutely love how they feel when shooting. I put em on a FS M&P 9/ a M&P 22/ a XDm9 and my XDs 9. After about 30 rounds in each gun they slipped around and all over. As soon as the guns got hot/slip city! Made me sick as I loved the feel . It was in August and if course hot out.
I then ordered the Talon Black Rubber for the XDm and XDs. Cleaned my grips good with alcohol and pressed on the Talons. Approx 10,000 rounds on those two pistols and carry one or the other daily. No peeling but if they do I'll order more. Good cheap grip tape!
I still like the feel of the Pachmyr though.
Thanks Rico for your feedback! To be honest with you this is what I'm concerned about happening. Considering the recoil the XD-s puts out will have a tendency to twist the Pachmayr grip around the gun grip while shooting. I'll give it a try but I may end up putting Talon Grips back on or the PRP grips. I agree with you, the Pachmayr's do feel great on the XD-s!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Just for the record, your talon grip probably came off because you didn't heat it post install. I have the same grip on my xds and it looks like it's melted into the grip. Not a hint of budging or pealing.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
942 Posts
i have only seen a picture of the pachmayr xds grip sleeve unmounted so i do not know if cutting back the grip safety area on the grip sleeve to give you a little more room....
also an old trick for grip sleeve is spraying hair spray on the the inside of the grip sleeve slide it it in place and let it dry thoroughly .... the hairspray acts as a lubricant when wet and a light adhesive when dry.....

oh ps post a picture if possible please....

·
Registered
230 Posts
i have only seen a picture of the pachmayr xds grip sleeve unmounted so i do not know if cutting back the grip safety area on the grip sleeve to give you a little more room....
also an old trick for grip sleeve is spraying hair spray on the the inside of the grip sleeve slide it it in place and let it dry thoroughly .... the hairspray acts as a lubricant when wet and a light adhesive when dry.....

Here you go. Getting the grip on is not a problem. They go on in seconds, no straining, no bleeding knuckles. The tradeoff is they can move when you shoot.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
I have the same grip on my xds and it looks like it's melted into the grip. Not a hint of budging or pealing.

Same here! I could probably peel it off if I tried but 200 rounds in and mine has no hint of peeling off.

Good post as you've brought it to everyone's attention of a possible issue with these types of grips.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Here you go. Getting the grip on is not a problem. They go on in seconds, no straining, no bleeding knuckles. The tradeoff is they can move when you shoot.

i personally would not use them.
however there seem to be plenty of room to trim more around the GS.... and then with the adhesion of the hair spray it should stay in place.

m4carbine... can you please verify this.... Slip on grips are bad news from a retention standpoint and have gotten people killed. please give a reference to this happening not just an i read it on the internet.

·
Registered
4,383 Posts

Yeah,I tried using hairspray with the Grip Glove, didn't last. As I stated above,I removed it. In the event I ever decide that I want to install another one, I'll use Elmer's Contact Cement for a permanent solution.

(Now what is a bald man supposed to do with this can of hairspray ? Guess it's destined to be "range trash".) :lol:

·
Registered
143 Posts
I have Talon Grips on my XDs and my XDm and both work fine. I found during installation that a hairdryer just doesn't seem to get hot enough but using a heat gun did the trick for me.

Do a trial fit and trim the excess so that there isn't any overlap. That helps a lot.

Clean the surfaces with and don't spare the alcohol then after install heat the Talon Grips as hot as you can get them.WEAR GLOVES. The heat make the glue react and STICK. Press the grips into all the crevices and you're good to go.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Great pix Carl!

Really shows the location of the Pachmayr relative to the grip safety, good job!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just for the record, your talon grip probably came off because you didn't heat it post install. I have the same grip on my xds and it looks like it's melted into the grip. Not a hint of budging or pealing.

That could be true Boss'...

I did use a hair dryer on the final installation step but it could of been not hot enough to really make the glue set up.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Same here! I could probably peel it off if I tried but 200 rounds in and mine has no hint of peeling off.

Good post as you've brought it to everyone's attention of a possible issue with these types of grips.

Thanks 15Shot, just trying to be of some help to others with an issue I discovered I had, that's all...

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have Talon Grips on my XDs and my XDm and both work fine. I found during installation that a hairdryer just doesn't seem to get hot enough but using a heat gun did the trick for me.

Do a trial fit and trim the excess so that there isn't any overlap. That helps a lot.

Clean the surfaces with and don't spare the alcohol then after install heat the Talon Grips as hot as you can get them.WEAR GLOVES. The heat make the glue react and STICK. Press the grips into all the crevices and you're good to go.
Thanks gzigoris, this is most likely why mine began peeling off on the rear of the gun grip. I used a hair dryer and probably didn't get it hot enough...live and learn...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts