Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished putting my Spikes lower together and have a few questions.

First, while going from safe to fire, it is not smooth. It feels like there is a detent between the two. It functions fine. Is this normal on a new build? I tried my friends and it was smooth but his gun is 10-15 years old.

Second, is it normal to NOT be able to go to Safe if the hammer isn't cocked? On mine, the lever won't turn to safe unless the hammer is cocked. This seems odd to me.

Scott

·
Registered
219 Posts
i know it is normal that it wont turn to safe if the hammer isnt cocked but as far as the safty not beeing smooth that might be something the gets better with a little use but i am not for sure.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Both normal. The selector travel will smooth out a little with use, and you cannot safe the rifle if the hammer isn't cocked.

·
Premium Member
3,826 Posts
With profound respect, a stick safety MAY NOT be normal. Have you put the buttstock on yet? Does your build have a rifle or carbine stock?

Pull the safety and look at the spring detent groove. There should be just two (2) notches, one for "safe" and the other for "fire" It IS AR-15?

Look at that pesky brass colored detent thing. Was it installed backwards? Don't ask how I know this. Is the spring correct?

It's possible to get those tiny springs confused. Again, don't ask...... You might have a casting flaw, but unlikely. Most likely wrong parts.

Use thicker oil on the detent groove. It should NOT yet have a bronze streak from the detent, but may later. You may have to install the stock

To properly seat the safety spring and detent, or with a CAR, just place the flat steel cap on the receiver end to test your sticky safety.

If excessive force is employeed on the safety when the hammer is down, it's possible to ding/crimp either the safety or trigger. Checks those too.

Anyway, the safety should work just fine, even when brand new. Yeah, the hammer needs to be cocked for everything to work. HB of CJ :) :) :)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have not installed the stock (M4 style). It will be here on Tuesday. It is a AR15. The safety is not "sticky" as much as it feels like there is a pronounced stop between safe and fire.

None of the directions I read said anything about using oil or any lube for that matter. Hell, I probably looked at 15 different assembly directions. Did I miss something?

Open to all suggestions. And thanks.

Scott

·
Premium Member
3,826 Posts
Nah, you didn't miss anything. Yes, it is easy to read lots of different "assembly directions" Problem is, is is POSSIBLE the "directions" are just guidelines, not specific as to model, parts imployeeed, experience, etc..

You can fake your safety group into thinking it's installed with the stock attached. CAR type build. Cool. Just install the safety with the detent and spring in that tiny hole in the rear of the receiver and use any flat

convenient surface to hold it in all the way. A thick book comes to mind. You need to have the full tension of the safety spring to properly check out the safety swing function. Easy to do. Oh, the hammer and trigger

group will need to be installed with their springs also. With everything buttoned up, work the safety back and forth several times. Yeah, cock the hammer first. Don't dry fire the hammer. It tears up the lower.

It's possible the safety is just a very tight fit in the lower and what you are feeling is the slight dimensional interplay beteen the lower and safety diameter. This is normal and will work out as described by others.

With the hammer cocked, place the safety on "SAFE" and see how much trigger travel you have. You ideally should have NONE! Just a little bit is probably OK, but if you have a lot of creep, it means one of two things.

First is that there is some problem with either the trigger or safety. In either case, the hammer should not fall, which would mean DANGEROUS parts. We are trying to figure out why your safety is sticky or balky.

Who made the safety? Most times we don't know. Dimensional problems do occur. Some kits are better than others. Be sure to lube up the safety all over. Too much won't hurt. Good luck. HB of CJ :) :) :)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not sure whom made the LPK. It was purchased from Spike's along with the lower.

Tried as you suggested. Cock the hammer, switch the lever to safe. Little if no movement...maybe 1/16-1/8" at best. Does not fire. Doesn't fire at any position except fire.

I'll try installing the detent spring tomorrow. Thanks for the help.

Scott

·
Banned
6,667 Posts
You can fake your safety group into thinking it's installed with the stock attached. CAR type build. Cool. Just install the safety with the detent and spring in that tiny hole in the rear of the receiver and use any flat
convenient surface to hold it in all the way. A thick book comes to mind. You need to have the full tension of the safety spring to properly check out the safety swing function. HB of CJ :) :) :)

Where did you come up with this baloney ? :p

All that detent/spring is holding pressure against is the rear take down pin.

The detent and spring for the safety selector is held in by the pistol grip NOT the rear take down detent/spring. ;)

·
Premium Member
3,826 Posts
smackay, mvician, I'm afraid I just screwed up royally. mvician...thank you. I stand corrected. No, it's worse than that, I really need to fall on my sword here. AUGHHHH! I hate getting old. Ah man.

I screwed up. Confused the pistol grip with the rear take down pin. I gave out the wrong dope to an AR-15 builder with a problem. Well heck. After reading the balonie post (and mvician...you were too KIND!) I began

thinking about what I posted, then went back and READ my own post and guess what. mvician is correct. I'm wrong. What's more funny is that

I had to go next door (quite a ways) and ask Hannah if I could look at HER CAR-15. She wipped it out from beneath HER bed in no time and I quickly understood my confusion. Except for confusing the take down pin with

the pistol grip everything is fine. Forget what I said about the stock cap thing and just shove the pistol grip home compressing the safety spring. Everything else applys except where I had it wrong. HB of CJ :) :) :)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Still not sure exactly what the problem is. I took off the pistol grip and removed the safety lever. At first glance, nothing. Looking closer, I noticed a casting seam right between the two detents. A very slight seam. I was at work and didn't have much in the way of files. I tried emory cloth and pretty much removed the ridge. Put it back together and tested. A little better but not entirely corrected. I will try later with a small flat file.

Thanks for the info. Being very new to AR platform, I looked at the takedown spring, detent, and pin. Couldn't figure out how it had anything to do with the safety system. No harm, no foul.

Scott

1 - 13 of 13 Posts