Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Even though I live in NJ I am in PA from time to time and have a CC permit. I'm looking for something to carry but also stash for home protection too. I've handled a few compact 9's but I'm hung up on whether to get something with a safety or not. Any suggestions or opinions are appreciated.

Thanks,
John

·
Registered
805 Posts
What have you shot in the past? I prefer a gun with some sort of safety, but really dislike thumb safeties. The trigger blades i do not consider a safety. I prefer guns that with a full grip the gun is ready to go and by placing your thumb on the rear of the side/hammer the gun will not fire even if something gets in the trigger.

·
Registered
29,827 Posts
Safeties are a non-issue.

If you prefer them, get a pistol with one. Train with it.

If you don't like them, don't get a pistol with one. Train with it.

I think a lot of people who don't like them don't want to take the time to ingrain taking the safety off into their presentation.

I would say, get the pistol you want/like and shoot accurately, and don't fret the safety--IF you are willing to take the time to properly learn it.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I currently have XD 45 and Ruger SP101 .357. I'm aware of it on the XD and aware of the heavier trigger pull of the Ruger.

·
Registered
8,632 Posts
That's a preference thing. No answer is correct or incorrect, but as Cuda said, train to familiarize yourself with whichever type you decide. If you plan to have multiple CCW's, keep it consistent. I personally prefer no safety, but only because I carry a Glock on duty and train with it often.

·
Registered
665 Posts
It's all in finger control. Keep your finger off the trigger until one is ready to shoot. I usually carry a J frame SW revolver, but when I'm carrying my Ruger LC9 I leave the safety off. I like a fitted holster without straps and safety OFF. I try to be consistent in my carry guns. It is a very bad habit to carry different guns all the time. Many years ago, I used to switch carry guns a few times a month, which is a very bad thing to do. I used to keep different guns all around my business, I never used the safeties, because in the event of an emergency, one may forget to swipe the safety to the firing position.

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
The only really effective safety is the one between your ears.

4 Rules of Gun Safety

1. A gun is ALWAYS loaded.
2. Keep your finger off the trigger until you are aimed and ready to shoot.
3. Do not point the muzzle at anything you do not want to KILL.
4. Be sure of your target and the background before you shoot.

Practice, practice, practice!

·
Registered
338 Posts
Buy what ever hits your fancy, a pistol is only as safe as the person handling it, Are you new to pistols? If so be sure to take a safety course its fairly expensive but well worth the money spent, I have owned Four 45 1911 pistols in my lifetime but now have carried an XD40SC for the past Six years and feel safe and comfortable carrying it with a round chambered. I suggest shooting an IDPA course al least Six times a year. However here's a warning, IDPA is addicting Heh.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts