Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I m fun of XD(m) but still greedy on safety.
XD(m) would be perfect if it comes with 1) thumb safety (standard safety requirement for most of the security forces), 2) Springfield's famous Integrated Locking System (ILS) and moreover 3) decocking switch.
Please share any one found any or all of these safety measures are in your requirement.
King

·
Registered
678 Posts
The only safety you need is between your ears. Use it well and it will not fail you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I m fun of XD(m) but still greedy on safety.
XD(m) would be perfect if it comes with 1) thumb safety (standard safety requirement for most of the security forces), 2) Springfield's famous Integrated Locking System (ILS) and moreover 3) decocking switch.
Please share any one found any or all of these safety measures are in your requirement.
King
De-cocking lever on a striker fired weapon? Huh

One of the reasons that I bought my XDSC for a CCW was because it did not have a manual safety lever.

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
De-cocking lever on a striker fired weapon? Huh

One of the reasons that I bought my XDSC for a CCW was because it did not have a manual safety lever.
Ditto and ditto.

Also welcome "Scropian", why don't you take the time to head over to the New Members section and introduce yourself.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I do not own any gun. But given by office on duty. now have to use old browning one.
The reasons why I m talking on these three measures is:
1) Thumb safety - which is, by law, needed by our agency. The one of the clauses says that the firearm MUST have manual safety. {for those who may not need it, can keep it ON all the time}
2) the ILS - hopefully it is useful to make it unusable while not in use especially unauthorized person. As we need to return the firearm after the service to the weapon store and not sure that someone may touch my gun. {For those who may not need it can keep it ON all the time too}.
3) Decocking switch - there are many conditions that we encounter to be ready but end up without firing any round. so i think it is the easiest way to de-cock (something like P99 or Magnum Research's MR Eagel FA.) with that switch. {I think it is useful for many guys like me but, of course, I do not have any chance to touch any XDm yet so not sure the best decocking way of it but observe from other threats that decocking seem to be a bit fuzzy}.

·
Registered
249 Posts
There is no way to decock a XDm unless you pull the trigger. I think your only solution is to not purchase a XDm or carry it without a round in the chamber, which IMO is not a good idea.

Why you would want to carry a weapon around with a manual safety on and it decocked is beyond me.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
As a tried and true 1911 guy from way back; I once thought as you do. I now own three xd pistols, and am over the thumb safety requirement.

Just use your head and don 't let anything other than your finger get through the trigger guard.

·
Registered
22,574 Posts
Your trigger finger and your brain are the safety.

·
Registered
4,999 Posts
I have never seen a decock on a striker-fired single action (or any single action firearm-excluding SA/DA). It would not make sense because there's no external hammer to use to cock it again.

Any time there is a round in the chamber, the striker is cocked & ready to go.

I can understand wanting a thumb safety, though I have no desire for one.

with the ILS, are you talking about the Smith & Wesson ILS? If so, I don't like that at all.

·
Registered
249 Posts
He's talking about the ILS on the Springfield 1911s. It sounds like everything he wants points toward the 1911 platform except the decocking switch.

·
Registered
4,999 Posts
He's talking about the ILS on the Springfield 1911s. It sounds like everything he wants points toward the 1911 platform except the decocking switch.
Oh ok. I didn't know SA had done that to their 1911s (I don't like imported 1911s). I'm glad the xds don't have it. I don't know where it would go, since XD doesn't have a mainspring housing like the 1911.

·
Registered
110 Posts
By old Browning pistol are you talking about a Hi-Power? If so, fix her up. Hi-Powers are fantastic guns. You can get plenty of aftermarket or replacement parts to make it one great weapon.

·
Registered
5,718 Posts
By old Browning pistol are you talking about a Hi-Power? If so, fix her up. Hi-Powers are fantastic guns. You can get plenty of aftermarket or replacement parts to make it one great weapon.
agree they are fantastic, but they do not have OPs number three need for decock switch. They do have a half cock (actually more like quarter), but that is not a switch and if user slips hammer with finger on trigger gun will go bang.

·
Premium Member
30,891 Posts
If one of the OP's drivers is more capacity than a 1911 platform, plus the afore-mentioned safety devices, he'd be better off looking at Sigs SA/DA. More capacity plus all metal construction and the decocker, but no external 'thumb' safety. I don't know that you can get all three items (thumb safety, ILS and decocker) all in one weapon. Seems like design over-kill.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Wait, the Taurus PT92 fits those needs. Thumb safety, decocker, and a lock(a "security system" that uses a little key to lock the slide).

I know, I know, it's a Taurus. My best friend had one for a couple years and put over 1000rds through it with not a single problem. And it was quite nice to shoot. Easy 3 inch groups at 10yds.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I own a FNH FNX .40 and it has a manual safety as well as a decocker. You can carry hammer down with the safety on, although I don't understand why you'd want to. Decocked hammer down or cocked and locked. That's all you need. No safety locking device though. Nice gun, very accurate, but my XDM40 feels better in my hands.

·
Registered
324 Posts
OP, the XD isn't the gun for your agency's needs. From what you've told us, you would probably be better off with a DA/SA gun that's lockable. If you need a gun which also has a magazine safety, a Ruger might actually be the best way to go. I believe they have all three + this one.

Most sports shooters here in the U.S. look at these "features" as failure points, but recognize that government and private agencies have procedural requirements based upon standards that were created over the last 50 years.

·
Registered
90 Posts
The XD line of pistols will not meet your requirements..... and I hope Springfield leaves the line ALONE!!!

S&W M&P offers one with a manual safety.... Magazine disconnect, not sure about internal keyed lockout... again NO decocker on a striker fired gun.

HK USP V1 offers manual safety, decocking and a keyed lockout inside the magwell that renders the gun incapable of firing. You can unload the gun with the manual safety lever ON and that is a very nice feature. HK does not have a magazine disconnect in this line.

For what you state as requirements the HK line is your best bet.

Good luck pistol hunting.

HH

1 - 20 of 27 Posts