Springfield XD Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
889 Posts
Guns are safe, people are dangerous.
I have never seen, or even heard of a gun doing anything bad, unsafe, or dangerous in all my years in the gun world, but I have seen alot of unsafe gun handling.
The only unsafe gun is a broken gun.

·
Registered
11,064 Posts
I glad to see that a new firearm owner is so concerned about safety. Whatever you decide to get, make sure that your whole family gets gun safety training. Also, get a gun safe with a combination lock, not a key. If your child finds the key it's the same as leaving your gun out unlocked.

Also, involve your family in your new pastime. The more you shoot together, the safer your family will get. Just make sure to constantly stress safety first and always.

Plus, it's a great way to spend time together.

·
Registered
453 Posts
adamjrae said:
Hello everyone. Let me explain my background a little. I am 32 years old and I am just getting into guns. I have fired a few rifles many, many, many years ago with my father and I recently rented/borrowed a few pistols to shoot at the range. I have rented sigs, glocks, SWs, and XDs. I want to get a pistol that I can carry (after I get my Concealed license) that I can also use to protect me and my family in our house but I want something SAFE. I have a wife and a 10 year old son to think about. I love the XD 40cal sub-compact but I'm having a hard time thinking its safe with the firing pin pulled back ready to go. I know the XDs have 4 safeties but my mind keeps telling me to go with a double action since the pin is at rest and it has a heavier trigger pull.
Should I go with a double action or are you guys going to convince me the XD is safe, safe, safe when it's in a holster properly secured. Any examples of stories that show how safe these XDs are would be great.

Also I have a fear of guns just because I have not been exposed to them. In the past few weeks shooting I have overcome my fear and feel more comfortable around them but there a little bit of me that needs more exposure to completely overcome this fear.

Please be honest!

Thanks and this site is great and I have learned a lot!
Keep your damn finger off the trigger untill you want it to go bang.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I think alot of people here missed your question....and answered it at the same time.

The XD is perfectly safe in and of itself cocked and ready to fire with a round in the chamber. People have tested it numerous ways (including a "Torture Test" i read about in here, a guy dropped it loaded and cocked from a 100 foot cliff, it didnt go off, but fired flawlessly when it was picked up). Because of the safeties on the gun, it WILL NOT FIRE unless you are gripping the gun in your hand AND pull the trigger.

BUT.......i read people saying that YOU are the only safety that counts, and thats the bottom line. Take some classes, inform and educate your family, then buy an XD.....there isnt a gun SAFER to carry (some are as safe).

Im 38 years old, I am NOT a gun nut-lol-or an expert--I dont compete. But I do have over 20 years of experience involving guns in general. I have taken classes, carried legally, and had a gun near children and others all throughout my life. The gun in my possesion will NEVER be fired unless I choose. No kids will ever have access to my gun without ME being there to teach them about it.

Safety, yeah the XD is completely safe.....are you?

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
R/T Performance said:

Biggest thing is never leave it laying around loaded a ten year old will want to check it out .Do not try to hide it from him.Show it to him unloaded of course and explain this is not a toy and you can see it if you ask but only when I am here. :)
That is the reason that I have the love for guns as well as the respect for guns. My dad always had guns as I was a kid and he always took me to shoot. the best times I had as a kid was when my dad and grandpa would take me shooting. Now it seems I take them....

·
Registered
166 Posts
I agree with everyone who stated that any gun is only as safe as you are. Yes, there are guns with safe/fire switches, but that does not make a gun safe. There are no "off" switches for loaded guns. Would you load a gun, put it on "safe" and then hand it to a child to play with? Of course not!!

Show your kids the weapon and go over the rules. Aside from that, show your children that you respect the weapon as dangerous. If they see YOU respect it, they will too.

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
Ask a cop that had real experience carrying a revolver where the safety was on it
I carried a revolver for 14yrs before we went to a semi auto. My gun only fired when I pulled the trigger. There were no external safeties except for me. I never had an accidental or negligent discharge of my weapon and when I holstered it (and I withdrew it hundreds of times during those 14yrs), I made sure my thumb was on the trigger holding it down as I reholstered. That was a trained and then instinctive procedure.

My whole point being as others have said, you are the primary safety. The fact the XD does have the external safeties it has is what helps make it a very safe weapon in my opinion. Take the course tho.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts