Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. Let me explain my background a little. I am 32 years old and I am just getting into guns. I have fired a few rifles many, many, many years ago with my father and I recently rented/borrowed a few pistols to shoot at the range. I have rented sigs, glocks, SWs, and XDs. I want to get a pistol that I can carry (after I get my Concealed license) that I can also use to protect me and my family in our house but I want something SAFE. I have a wife and a 10 year old son to think about. I love the XD 40cal sub-compact but I'm having a hard time thinking its safe with the firing pin pulled back ready to go. I know the XDs have 4 safeties but my mind keeps telling me to go with a double action since the pin is at rest and it has a heavier trigger pull.
Should I go with a double action or are you guys going to convince me the XD is safe, safe, safe when it's in a holster properly secured. Any examples of stories that show how safe these XDs are would be great.

Also I have a fear of guns just because I have not been exposed to them. In the past few weeks shooting I have overcome my fear and feel more comfortable around them but there a little bit of me that needs more exposure to completely overcome this fear.

Please be honest!

Thanks and this site is great and I have learned a lot!

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
I just encounterd this question first off I hve had my cpl for 4 years and an Xd for three of those.Cocked and locked is the only way to carry.
Hard holster kydex for me I like the ctac
Been ready to go for 3 years never even close to an acidental disscharge.
I get up and put it on holster and all every day even when I am not leaving the house.When I go to bed it goes in the head board holster and all.

Biggest thing is never leave it laying around loaded a ten year old will want to check it out .Do not try to hide it from him.Show it to him unloaded of course and explain this is not a toy and you can see it if you ask but only when I am here.If you holster is hard and covers the trigger it cannot discharge.I have complete faith in all of the saftey's and like the fact that if I draw I am ready to go if gripped properly :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info R/T Performance. Anyone else want to give their thoughts?

I agree with not hiding guns from your family but I do believe in locking them up when they are not next/attached to you.

A friend of mine at age 13 found his dads gun, went out and shot a rabbit. To this day he feels bad what he did and is against all guns probably because of that reason. My thought is there were 2 people that did something wrong. The father for not locking it up when he was away from it and the 13 year old for knowingly doing something like that. If one of them did something different that would have never happened.

·
Registered
71 Posts
You have nothing to be afraid of. The XD won't fire unless you've got a proper grip and pull the trigger. Doesn't get much safer than that. IMO manual safties are a liablity if you get into a situation where tenths of seconds matter. I'm completely comfortable carrying mine with 1 in the chamber. Get over your fear and teach your wife and son not to be afraid of it either. When you take away fear and mystery you're left with clear understanding, this goes for pretty much anything.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info R/T Performance. Anyone else want to give their thoughts?

I agree with not hiding guns from your family but I do believe in locking them up when they are not next/attached to you.

A friend of mine at age 13 found his dads gun, went out and shot a rabbit. To this day he feels bad what he did and is against all guns probably because of that reason. My thought is there were 2 people that did something wrong. The father for not locking it up when he was away from it and the 13 year old for knowingly doing something like that. If one of them did something different that would have never happened.

·
Super Moderator
8,970 Posts
It take more than shooting to become comfortable with guns. I'd suggest some formal training. I would suggest you take a few classes before buying your first gun. If you are that uncomfortable/concerned, you will be more dangerous than the gun itself. You need to first learn the basic before getting a gun, as the basics will save your life and the life of those around you. Go to the NRA website and look for a Basic class in your area. They are everywhere.

http://www.nrahq.org/education/training/find.asp

When holstered, all guns are safe. No gun will fire unless you pull the trigger and pulling a trigger is hard when it is in the holster.

Perhaps the heavy and long pull is more in line with what you are looking for. Best of luck on your decision.

OS

·
Registered
338 Posts
adamjrae, I think you have to get into the mindset that you, as the gun's owner/keeper are the only safety. Especially if you aren't planning on educating the family members in your house. It doesn't matter what kind of safeties the weapon has, if someone else gets possession of it, they may disable the safety and the weapon may discharge. Some people think that because you can pick up the XD and grip it properly and pull the trigger it is unsafe because you don't have to manually flip some lever to disable a safety.

How many of us can recall seeing someone who is not familiar with firearms, holding either an unloaded or loaded weapon and they pull the trigger and nothing happens because the safety is on. Then they then turn the gun to try and find the safety and disable it. Many times their finger is still on the trigger and that is when trouble is only a heartbeat away if it is loaded, because they are now aiming at something they really don't mean to. I see this played out in my mind's eye especially with boys and I replay it over and over to make me more vigiliant.

I have made it a point that my wife knows where the pistol is and is familiar with it. But my boys don't yet know about it or have seen it because I don't think they are ready yet. Therefore, I - ME - YOURS TRULY - DEFENDENT PRESENT YOUR HONOR, am responsible for my guns and where they are at all times. I am the safety and to trust a safety lever that a two year old can disable is just ludicrous.

That being said, I think the XD is inherently safe, when the grip safety is not engaged it will not fire. When the trigger safety is not engaged it will not fire. If it is dropped, the firing pin cannot strike the primer because the firing pin is blocked unless the previously mentioned safeties are disengaged. So it will only fire when gripped properly and the trigger safety is disengaged. Where it is aimed is up to the one disengaging the safeties.

Ask a cop that had real experience carrying a revolver where the safety was on it.

·
Registered
9,135 Posts
I have a 6 year old girl at home, She helps me clean the gun, and when I shoot, loads the magazine for me. She knows the rule, she is to never touch the gun when fully assembled. Never. Ever. (But when it is apart for cleaning, she is a cleaning machine!)

We had some company come around to our local Gander mountain and pass out free gun locks AND safety kits for kids. The kit is a book / stickers/ certificate that the parent goes over with the kid, then the kid takes a test, then signs an agreement to not touch a gun should they ever find one anywhere. I had our daughter read it all, twice. She will be reading the safety book again soon, as it has been a few months since she did it, just as a refresher.

But, the thing that led me to the XD, was the grip safety. It takes a good size hand to be able to grip the safety, and squeeze the trigger.

But all of that is a moot point in that the gun is NEVER left lying in an area where anyone but me can get it. Never. It is either locked up or on me.

As far as a double action, it would seem easier for a kid to pull a 8 pound trigger then to rack a slide.

Just my .02 cents

·
Premium Member
2,694 Posts
It's got a block on the firing pin, how much safer do you want? Your double action won't have that, and could fire if dropped. What kind of choice it that?

·
Registered
9,135 Posts
adamjrae said:
Also I have a fear of guns just because I have not been exposed to them. In the past few weeks shooting I have overcome my fear and feel more comfortable around them but there a little bit of me that needs more exposure to completely overcome this fear.
quote]

A fear of guns is good, but a healthy does of RESPECT is better.

Respect of what it can do.
You mention a 10 year old in the house, how mature is he. Does he understand what a gun CAN REALLY DO?

Any gun you get is dangerous. Period.

You have to look for what you feel is the best suited for you and your needs . AND what you feel most comfortable with.

What is good for one may not be the best for another.

Somebody here asked the same question not too long ago. A forum member responded with what he did.

The question was about a possible accidental discharge while wearing the gun.

The forum member responded that he carried his gun for some period of time, unloaded, but cocked. During this period of time, the gun never discharged on the empty cylinder.

What do you feel most comfortable with?

A suggestion, before carrying concealed, you may want to get very familiar with whatever gun you carry. And carry concealed first in the house, get used to it, how it feels. do you always have to readjust it under your clothes? does it stick out. are you always grabbing it through your shirt to check it. If so, your not comfortable with it, yet.

Safety starts with SELF, yourself. not the gun.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
First, I admire your honesty and courage about expressing your fear and then overcoming it. I'll second or third the opinion that professional training should be top on your list of things to do. But, to help with your understanding of the XD, here's a little more detailed explaination of the mechanics of the XD.....

Understanding exactly what is happening with the grip safety AND the trigger safety will help your comfort level.

Unless the trigger safety is pressed then the trigger cannot move to the rear AND until the trigger is slightly moved to the rear will the firing pin safety move out of the way of the firing pin. The firing pin is physically blocked until the trigger moves about 1/4 inch to the rear. AND...if the grip safety is not depressed then the sear is also physically blocked. When these two conditions are met, then further rearward pressure of the trigger will the sear release the firing pin to contact the primer and fire the pistol.

You are the ultimate safety, the XD has been built to be as mechanically safe as any pistol that I know of.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I guess working with computers and servers all day long I tend to throw the "should" word in a lot of stuff. With technology I don't believe something until I see it. There are many many instances where something SHOULD work but is does not. I think that is where I’m sort of concerned about safeties but not trusting them(as you should). I understand and agree with everyone posting on my question.

Yes I plan on taking a safety course and maybe with my son. Yes he will learn about the weapon and how much damage it can do. Yes I'll threaten him within an inch of his life never to touch the gun without adult supervision(but then again it will be locked up if I am not with it). Yes I need to overcome a fear of the unknown. Yes I agree guns are only as safe as the person using them. Yes everyone one here knows more than me and that is why I completely value your posts.

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
9,135 Posts
We are here to help. Please, don't be afraid / embarrassed to ask any other questions. When dealing with a firearm, it is better to ask and be safe, then guess and take a chance.

:D

By the way, welcome to the gun nut site.

·
Registered
149 Posts
"I know the XDs have 4 safeties but my mind keeps telling me to go with a double action since the pin is at rest and it has a heavier trigger pull."

The problem with the heavier trigger pull is that on your second shot the trigger is about as half as light. Which is good for a follow up shot, but with adrline pumping though your system you might accdentily pull the lighter trigger when you do not mean to.

A consistant trigger pull (although maybe heavier than the XD) overcomes this possible area. Glocks you can get New York trigger (it is a heavier trigger pull), no sure if that is available for XD's anywhere.

"Any examples of stories that show how safe these XDs are would be great."

I know I like the safty aspect when i holster, I put my thumb on the back of the slide so that my hand is not engaging the grip saftey. Even if the trigger does get pulled by a flap of cloth, it will not discharge if the grip safty is not engaged.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've been around guns all my life, so it's a little different for me. I believe that if you are scared of guns you could do more damage than good to yourself and/or your family. Having a respect for what a gun can do is a different thing. You handle it safely, but confidently. Don't play cowboy or soldier with it. Remember that it is a weapon and can be used to kill. It will NOT kill, UNLESS YOU point it a something and PULL the trigger.

It's cliched, I know, but guns don't kill people, people kill people. A bullet does not leave the barrel, until someone pulls the trigger.

Some others may disagree with me, but I don't think you should buy a gun, until you are comfortable with the idea of one being in the house. If you do get comfortable with the idea of keeping a gun in the house and are going to use it for target practice, I don't think you should keep it loaded. I believe the only reason to keep a loaded gun is for self-defense. So, I don't think you need to keep it loaded in the house or especially, carry it loaded, if you are not comfortable with the idea of taking a life in self-defense. If you have a loaded gun, pull it and are not prepared to use it, you have put yourself in jepordy.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
As somewhat of a side note, the heavier trigger pull aspect of double actions is becoming somewhat of a fallacy, particularly with the recent popularity of double action-only (DAO) pistols. Sig is offering DAOs with advertised trigger pulls in the same range as the XD and some of HK's DAO offerings are not much higher than the advertised XD range.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I've been shooting since I was eight and have owned handguns with numerous action types. IMHO, the XD or any other semi auto is probably not right for you at this point in your development as a shooter. At this time, you need something like a basic stainless steel double action revolver and a lockable case for it.

1. Revolvers are very visual. You can see the ammunition, there is no chance of removing the magazine and leaving one in the chamber for example.

2. There is no safety to deal with or forget or give you a false sense of security. For a beginner, a safety is nothing but an opportunity to screw up. Finger control and muzzle control create safe conditions, mechanical safties are conveniencies or safety nets. If a safety keeps you safe, you did something you shouldn't have.

3. People can relate to how revolvers operate, you can see the hammer rise and fall, and the cylinder turn. It is intuitive.

Good luck, have fun, be safe.

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
therooster said:
any gun is only as safe as you are....
+ 1 billion

·
Registered
100 Posts
You can have years of safe gun handling instruction wiped out buy a second's mental lapse. There are no such things a accidental discrarges, all are negligent discharges. I see all the reports of Glocks going off when being reholstered, etc., I call BS! Someone screws up, tries to blame the handgun instead of the hand holding it. When I decided it was time for my kids to learn handgun shooting, to prevent them unexpectably turning with the gun, I built a frame, similar to a door frame that was narrow enough that it required the pistol being pointed at the ground before they could turn at all.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts