Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of entering the West of The Pecos Run and Gun in The Sun this year and I'm looking for a sling. I've seen these 4016-2 and 4016-2-SC-AR15 the second one is labeled "with clamp" I've looked and looked and have not found what a "clamp" is does anybody have one of these and can they explain what a clamp is? I'm going to need a 4 mag pouch and hydration pack any recommendations?

This run and gun is pretty cool you run 7 miles in the desert and at 4 stages through out the distance you engage targets with rifle at up to 400 yds and pistol targets at 10 to 20 yards.

·
Registered
838 Posts
"This run and gun is pretty cool you run 7 miles in the desert and at 4 stages through out the distance you engage targets with rifle at up to 400 yds and pistol targets at 10 to 20 yards."

Can't answer your question except to say I can see the advantage of a two point sling for running over that much distance.

THAT little exercise sounds "HARDCORE" to me.;)

·
Registered
730 Posts
Indeed.......a two or three point would be my preference.

How do you envision carrying your AR? Over your shoulder? Across your back? Across your chest?

Just curious.....

Sounds in some respects like the Olympic biatholon.....

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Planning on carrying across the chest. It's an M4.
The guy that's won it the last 2 years is a coworker and good friend so I've been getting pointers and info from him. He's been wanting me to go with him but I kept putting it off. Thursday he talked my son into going to I decided I'd tag along.

Here a link to some guy's post.
8th annual "Run-n-Gun in the sun" - M4Carbine.net Forums

This guy finished second last year, he ran just like he's dressed.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Interesting picture. Flip-flops.......well then the Romans conquered the world wearing sandals...
I'd think the hide would disappear between the big and second toe!

Even at my age, I like to backpack and long hunt up to a a couple of weeks at a time. I spend a great deal of thought about gear weight distribution. Just on my experience with that, I think the more weight carried on the hips vs the spine the better a person could run 7 miles with a rifle, water, etc.
I'm wonder if a rifle carried in front waist high, and water carried waist high in back would optimize balance, agility, conserve energy, and save upper body strength so important for shooting.

Anyway, it's fascinating and makes me wish I were younger.

Good luck! Let us know how you do.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I'm going to walk more than run the coarse, I'm 47. There was a 70 year old guy last hear that walked the entire coarse and finished 47 out of 50 something competitors, and an 11 year old girl.

11 year old girl.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
838 Posts
My thirty year old mind is telling my sixty three year old body, "You'd love that, you ought to go out there!" BUT my experience tells me I'm dreaming. I am reminded of that every time I try to hit a target beyond fifty yards with iron sights alone! Gimme my scope and I can be deadly!:p

Same goes for my quad runner!:D

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Many shooters including my buddy had variable power scopes. His was a 1.5X4. All rifle shots were long distance so there was no need for open sights or a red dot.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Many shooters including my buddy had variable power scopes. His was a 1.5X4. All rifle shots were long distance so there was no need for open sights or a red dot.
Yeah but I can see better than I can run!:p Seriously, it does look like it would be quite a challenge to finish it at whatever speed. Enjoy yourself!

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
Sounds like lots of fun...Good luck and let us know how it went...:)

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Got 3 months to start doing some, well you could call it training, I'm thinking of just walking around with a backpack on my back. Have to have 35lb of equipment, including boots, rifle,ammo etc... not including water. Planning on walking the majority of it but it'll still be fun.

·
Registered
793 Posts
That looks like a lot of fun. As to the OP question, I have found these, and plan on getting one for myself eventually.

MissionSpec Irene Adaptive Sling IAS

Watch the video and you can see the multiple ways a rifle can be carried with it.

·
Banned
6,667 Posts
I'd go with a 2 point over the single. Unless you are going the keep your M4 in your hands the whole time it's going to swing around all over the place with a single point.

A single point sling is more of a retention device than it is a sling meant for carrying a rifle.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yea I just talked to my buddy and he says he's something like the Magpul multi mission.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
1 - 18 of 18 Posts