Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the midst of applying for my ccw and I wanted to know what the Sacramento Sheriff administers as their hands on test. Distances, groupings, etc? I have scoured the web and really found nothing for Sacramento. If anyone knows or has advice as to how to get in more practice I would appreciate it.

·
Registered
4,676 Posts
Good luck ... you'll probably find that CCW permit holders in Cali are as scarce as hen's teeth. Suspect you need heavy duty political clout to get one ... more than shooting ability.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Cant speak for Sacramento, but I can speak on the behalf of Shasta County, or California. When I qualified for my ccw, I showed up and asked my instructor how long till we were going to scoot the targets back to the qualifying distance, he replied "we're already sitting at qualifying distance." Say what you will, but I never practice as close as we were shooting(usually around 20+ yards. Our instructors weren't there to fail anyone, they were there to help all understand and pass the course. I passed easily on my first attempt, scoring a 9 out of 10 shots on target, while some tried for another 30+ minutes. I'd say 20 feet at a paper plate sized target is going to max distance they will have you shoot. CCW is for a close threat so they want you to be able to shoot a close target. Shouldn't be much of an issue if your familiar with the handgun your shooting. If not, maybe try qualifying with a smaller caliber? hope this helps.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
Good luck ... you'll probably find that CCW permit holders in Cali are as scarce as hen's teeth. Suspect you need heavy duty political clout to get one ... more than shooting ability.
Not completely true. It's about what county you live in. Kern county issues permits as shall. If you can own, you can carry. Ther are probably more CCW holders in Kern thatn the ehtire rest of the state combined. The shooting portion of the test is embarrasingly simple.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info. I am shooting at the rancho cordova range at 25yards and doing well within the paper plate space you talk of. Sacramento has a new sheriff in town and the waitlist for ccw in sacto is 8mos out to even turn in the application. I should know, my appointment is 8mos from now. BUT Sacto has gone from can to shall issue with our newly appointed sheriff and I am going to take advantage of this to protect my family. Much appreciated on the responses. Thank you.

·
Registered
1 Posts
A bit late but it is rather hard to find info about qualifying in Sacramento County. As of 10/16/2011 at the Cordova Shooting Center you have to shoot 30 rounds, untimed if I recall, at 15 yards with a score of 255 or better. It is also correct that Sac County is now a shall issue county (about time) so if you live in the area, apply now. Of course you'll have to wait a bit. My appointment is in August of 2012 and I made that back in September. Hope this helps...

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
Whats the point? Your just carrying paper weight. From what I have read and heard you can carry in cali with no ammo in the gun. So what is the point?

·
Registered
82 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Glad to see there is some sensibility coming to CA. By next year, Sacramento will become the safest city in CA.:D
I think Fresno County and the city of Fresno may give Sac. a run for its money. Fresno county is just about "shall issue" and the city of Fresno may see some changes soon :)

Fresno City Council President Lee Brand wants to make it easier for law-abiding citizens to legally carry concealed guns.

Brand said his proposal would redefine "good cause" as "any citizen concerned for the safety of themselves, their family and friends or their property interests."
Good cause is the main hangup for most folks.We shall see I guess .

·
Registered
59 Posts
anyone know what the penalty is for carrying concealed without a permit in Ca? I was confused when I read it. It seems that it can be a felony or a misdemeanor, depending.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Everyone I inquire about CCW in San Diego County pretty much tells you that you dont have a chance. Your "good cause" has to be pretty damn good. I think I have come up with a good one but I need to consult some instructors and people before I apply to polish off my interview skills and way to convince the Sheriff I need one

·
Registered
65 Posts
Everyone I inquire about CCW in San Diego County pretty much tells you that you dont have a chance. Your "good cause" has to be pretty damn good. I think I have come up with a good one but I need to consult some instructors and people before I apply to polish off my interview skills and way to convince the Sheriff I need one
There are instructors on Calccw that you can PM your good cause to and they will give you suggestions on how to fix it or if it is good or no good.

They wont tell you what to wright or how to wright it but they can tell you enough to get you going in the right direction :)

My good cause was two sentences ,but we have it pretty easy here.

·
Registered
5 Posts
You are going to find out that there are many different qualification standards as they seem to vary per instructor. I used LFI - www.LFIguns.com and Wes is a great instructor. I used him for my CCW training and a Pistol 1 course. Make sure you check out www.Calguns.net also. They have a CCW page and thread specifically devoted to Sacramento CCW. Finally, make you check the reservation page a couple times a day as openings frequently pop up for the next day. I was originally booked in December and ended up getting an appointment in July. Good luck.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Yeah, I do need to do some more serious consulting. My good cause is job related and I do travel for my job to areas i have never been to at late hours so i am hoping thats good enough. Just need to put it together in a way that the Sheriff will understand. I have open carried on a couple of job sites that are not in the best of areas at night but that is soon going to be illegal soon

·
Registered
87 Posts
I got my CC in Mendocino county awhile ago and I was directed to write "personal protection" as the justification for wanting a CCW. No more, no less.

That being said, it was a quick, painless process (other than the fees) and I got my CC license in less than a month from when I took the embarrassingly easy class.

·
Registered
258 Posts
From what I have read and heard, that doesnt work for San Diego. If you put "personal protection" you need to provide police reports of muggings or attacks directed at you. so my co-worker and i were going to mug eachother but that seemed ridiculous so we havent resorted to that.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am about 3/4 of the way through my CCW process as a Sac County resident. Here is what I know. I applied in December 2013 online. Checked the website daily. January 22 openings were listed and I got in middle of February for my interview. I can not say what my "good cause" statement was however I can tell you that "for self defense and to protect my family" should get you through (hint hint). It took about a month to get an email saying my app was approved. Attached to the email was the Livescan form and the only three locations you are allowed to get the livescan done at. I did my livescan and took my class while waiting (obviously I know I will pass the livescan). I should get my final email in about a week at which time I will schedule my last appointment. It is much faster getting that last appointment than the first one (a week to three weeks tops). Here are the fee breakdowns:
Initial app fee: $20
Livescan: $120
16 hour CCW Class: $115 for the class $20 for ammo (50 rounds)
Final processing: $80

-For those curious about the class I took it at case security training on freeport Blvd in Sacramento. The instructor was Ian and was awesome! By far the cheapest around!

Hope this all helps. Sac county IS issuing a lot more CCW's.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts