Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok.......I may be opening up a whole new can-o-worms here, but I've been wanting to ask the XD'ers out here for awhile now....so here goes:

For purposes of having a general purpose .45 used as a house gun and a range gun, what do you guys think? For the purposes of this thread, let's pretend that ammo costs are the same between cartridges......I'm more referring to fit and function. I've never owned (and only fired once) a 1911A1, so I'm asking about this purely in the blind.

A work associate told me the 1911 is a pain to clean whereas my XD's are a cinch.......I suppose 'cuz there's less parts to deal with.

I guess I'm just a little afraid of spending the money and owning something that's plain too much of a pain in the butt to deal with, if that's the case.

Anyway, whatchya's think?

·
Registered
802 Posts
mullanman said:
I'd Vote the Operator TRP......

An all steel gun will last a lifetime.....Plastic does not.
Being my first gun was an XD, and I just recently cleaned my first 1911 a couple weeks ago, I am torn.

The XD is amazingly quick to take apart and clean compared to my wilson.
I agree with the steel gun idea also.

I would go with the Tactical if you are worried about the maintenance. Springfield Warranties all of their weapons for a lifetime.

So get both :twisted:

·
Registered
116 Posts
I'd get the Operator simply from a balistics standpoint. I have not been impressed by then 45 GAP round (I know there are some people who love this round, but I'm not one of them). And the Operator is a great looking and shooting pistol

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
If you want a .45, get a 1911. As far as cleaning, the first time you take apart a 1911, it does take a while. It's definitely not a easy a take down on an xd. However, after a few cleaning session on the 1911, it won't be anything to worry about.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Personally if I was going to buy a .45 for range and home use it'd be a 1911. I like the XD as a 9mm/.357/.40 platform but when you step it up to .45 the 1911 has stood the test of time.

·
Registered
98 Posts
if it si a choice between the 1911 in 45 ACP and an XD in .45 gap I would take the 1911. I prefer pistols in the calibers they were designed around. which means my XD's are 9mm and my 1911'a are .45ACP.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Everybody needs a 1911. I have every intention of buying a XD Tactical .45 but I already own a Springfield 1911 loaded.

Buy the 1911 and later if you still are interested in the Tactical 45 buy it.

I own both .45ACPs and .45GAPs and love them both. Of course I like the .357SIG too and many people see no use for it either. Variety is the spice of life.

·
Registered
813 Posts
As soon as I finish gunkoting my SA1911, I'm trading/selling it off for a .45 Tactical.
I like 1911's but the XD has demonstrated it's dependablity and ruggedness to be on par and above many 1911's out there. It's all personal preference though.

·
Premium Member
24,847 Posts
1911...The Operator is a nice looking specimen!

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
Well, it just took me 9 seconds to break down my 1911 for cleaning (doesn't include removing the grip panels). Takes me about 5 seconds for the XD. Since I prefer 1911s in major calibers (10mm and .45 ACP), I can live with the extra 4 seconds it takes to strip it down for cleaning.

(In fairness, it does take a fair bit longer to reassemble the 1911 compared to the XD, but again, I don't care, it's still significantly less than 30 seconds.)

It just took me 25 seconds to put one back together, after working on it for about 3 hours (new sights, mag well, arched mainspring housing, new grips--getting ready for IDPA ESP shooting--1911 in 9mm.)

·
Registered
11 Posts
I would have to say the 1911 too. I own 2 XDs and a TGO . The TGO is a very nice shooting piece and the Operator is a good specimen of SA. You will need to get used to taking it apart but after I cleaned my 1st 1911 a few times it is second nature.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hi Doug,

I've recently acquired a 45 Tactical and I've had a Springfield Loaded 1911 Stainless for several years. First, don't be put off by the cleaning - the 1911 was designed as a combat weapon and it is not particularly tough to break down, clean and reassemble. That being said....

Many new 1911's require break-in periods until they will function reliably. Some can be picky about loads. Unfortunately, 1911 Springies are subject to this as well. The XD's seem to be much more plug n' play.

The 1911 is a classic which has an enormous following. Parts and mods are prevalent. The 1911 Forum is a great source for advice, if a bit overwhelming at first.

Comments about plastic wearing out before steel should not impact your decision. By the time your plastic frame "wears out," a new life form will be in charge of our planet. Most of the issues with the XD involve corrosion of the steel slide, not the frame.

To enjoy the ballistic advantage provided by the larger 45 ACP, you need to use +P loads. The shorter GAP cartridge keeps up with standard ACP loads quite well. However, be advised that the GAP likes lighter bullets and it wants to push them out fast. Recoil with the svelt XD, especially if using lighter bullets, has got a snap to it.

On the other hand, recoil with 230 grn bullets is very comfortable with the XD Tactical.

Best wishes, whichever you choose!

Rotnguns

DougXD said:
Ok.......I may be opening up a whole new can-o-worms here, but I've been wanting to ask the XD'ers out here for awhile now....so here goes:

For purposes of having a general purpose .45 used as a house gun and a range gun, what do you guys think? For the purposes of this thread, let's pretend that ammo costs are the same between cartridges......I'm more referring to fit and function. I've never owned (and only fired once) a 1911A1, so I'm asking about this purely in the blind.

A work associate told me the 1911 is a pain to clean whereas my XD's are a cinch.......I suppose 'cuz there's less parts to deal with.

I guess I'm just a little afraid of spending the money and owning something that's plain too much of a pain in the butt to deal with, if that's the case.

Anyway, whatchya's think?

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'm not sold on the GAP yet. It may become really popular, or may die a slow death like the 10mm has been. I think the 1911 is a gun everybody should own at least once. One of great quality like the Operator is one I've been looking at for a bit now. Just my opinion, but I'd go the way of the Operator. The takedown is a bit more than an XD, but it's nowhere near tedious. And, even though I'm leaning towards the 1911, the XD's plastic fram should last a lifetime, if not, the warranty will take care of it. I currently have 3 polymer frame guns (1XD and 2USP's) and have no doubt they'll be around alot longer than I will.

http://www.myadultmegasite.com
http://www.killcable.com

·
Registered
580 Posts
my vote on the subject...is for the Operator.

tried and true design...more spare/replacements/accessory parts for it (rivaled by glock)...any gunsmith worth a damn knows how to tweak a 1911 properly (if you should ever need it)...they come in MANY sizes...etc.

i like higher mag capacities, though, and that's MY only beef with the 1911.

:-D

·
Registered
5 Posts
Go with what you like. Both are .45's. One just happens to be called a .45 GAP instead of ACP. Both will put the same size hole in its target and the bullets travel about the same speed. If you like the XD's get the XD-45, but if you like the feel and grip of the 1911 get the 1911. I myself like the XD platform so I bought the XD-45. When Springfield comes out with the .45 3 inch, I will get one of them. I know the 1911 is a tried and true design but the XD is in many ways a better design.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Oh yeah, get the 1911 Operator!! :twisted:

For a .45, a 1911 is the best way to go, can shoot 230 grain cheap ammo, 185 gr +P and with the proper spring you can shoot .45 Super.

For a range and house gun, the 1911 is hard to beat.

BTW I love my Springfield 1911 double stack, hard to argue with 13 + 1 in a .45 ACP.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I have a XD Tactical IN 45 gap. I shoot IDPA matches once a week. Watching the 1911 owners shooting I did notice that they lose time in thumbing off the safety. It is a small thing but the more I watched them the more I know an XD or Glock is the way to go. My scores have gotten better even with having to get use to a new gun. As far as the round being there in the future, well when was the last time you saw 38 super on the shelf. But it is still used as a competition round. I reload my 45 GAP so that is not an issue for me. OMO

·
Registered
93 Posts
Here's my slightly different take on it, because I was faced with the same decision not too long ago.

Most of the differences between these two choices that have been brought up in this thread are trifiling and insignificant to the choice of a defensive arm. Here's what's important.

1) Which gun fits your hand better? If the 1911 is too long in the grip, get the XD. If you like the feel of the 1911 better, get the 1911.

2) Are you used to using the manual safety? Are you willing to make a serious training investment? If you're not instinctively flipping off the thumb safety on guns that don't have one, you haven't practiced enough. If you learned on a thumb safety, get a 1911. If you are more familiar with guns that have no manual safety (or have people in your household who are) get the XD.

3) Which gun do you shoot better with? If you are shooting significantly less accurately with one gun or the other, then pick the better one.

As far as home defense is concerned, everything else is insignificant degrees of improvement.

If you really want the gun for target shooting or competition, well, the 1911 will probably be better, independent of the factors above.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts