Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well my wife finally got to shoot a 1911 and loved it. I was really surprised she liked shooting a .45! We rented a Desert Eagle 1911 at my local range and it was a nice gun. I have my heart set on a Springfield Armory TRP Operator. I drool everytime I see it and every review I see about it says how much they love it. They aren't cheap and my wife and I both want a 1911 and she doesn like the TRP. I am just wondering is it best to try to save the money and get the TRP or settle and get something with a lower price tag? I figure some of you guys have been in the same boat.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I love my TRP. Non railed version, THe trigger out of the box is hard to beat, super tight. I have since getting it, broken it in. It feels like between the slide and frame... just butter. I also put more aggressive grips on, which suit my purpose. The front strap at 20LPI can feel aggressive to some, but that is one of my favorite parts of it, the gun grips my hand as much as I the gun.

Many other lower priced 1911's shoot well out of the box, and triggers are not bad at all. I recently picked up a series 80 colt gov, but my trp is still my favorite. Even over the Nighthawk.

I also have a ruger commander, I have shot the fullsize ruger as well. Not bad at all for what you are paying for.

If you get one 1911... You won't stop. You'll end up getting that TRP. I have seen Tons for sale on some other forums.
Thinking about picking another up.

"Shooter" on this forum, I think is the user, has a bunch of them. Super jealous of the collection.

·
Registered
4,353 Posts
What about theTRP she doesnt like? The TRP is no Sig or Kimber, its bred to be a work gun, so it lacks on aesthetics to an untrained eye. I try not to settle when I have a desire for something. In the long run, youre gonna spend more. Because, usually you sell the gun you settled on for a loss then get the TRP.

Spend once, cry once. Get it.

·
Registered
11,703 Posts
is it best to try to save the money and get the TRP or settle and get something with a lower price tag?
you have to separate aesthetics from function to answer that question for yourself.

Will a $300 1911 function reliably? Hell yes it will. just as good as a TRP, or a Ruger, or Sig, or what have you.

is the extra $700 in appearances acceptable? Is it that important to you that you get a good looking reliable gun at 3 times the price? Could you perform some of your own aesthetic appearance modifications to suit your taste without spending an extra $700? Is it worth your time and effort to do so?

that's for you to decide.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys. The wife does like the TRP. She also likes a Kimber Ultra Carry Pro II that she got her hands on. I think she really just loves the feel of the 1911 itself instead of being aesthetically driven. I doubt buying something like a Mil Spec 1911 is going to prevent me from eventually getting the TRP. I know like most people it's hard to come up with the funds necessary to buy the firearm you want without having to wait and save up. I like everything about the TRP but there are tons of 1911's so there might be something else that I could get in the mean time and still be satisfied with and maybe tag that as the wife's gun. Then get myself the TRP down the road.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
PSA has the ATI commander sized 1911s for $289 after rebate currently. Worth a look while you save up for that TRP. It might also be something your wife will enjoy. I have the ATI and a TRP. They aren't even close to the same gun, but my ATI is still a fun gun to shoot.

·
Registered
19,923 Posts
You can always score a used Springfield loaded model. Just read up on the platform and know some warning signs when buying a used 1911.

·
Registered
18,867 Posts
I've got a TRP and it's an excellent gun in every respect. It's worth the price to me but that's up for you to decide.

·
Registered
5,287 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
If she likes Kimber, have her look at the pro versions. Little heavier and easier to shoot. Some 3" 1911's can be finicky out of the box.

·
Registered
788 Posts
I just came home with a TRP with full rail NIB. I have a Operator MC as it is. Was not thinking lol. Might sell one or the other if I can. I have not shot the TRP yet but I was told at the store if I got it I would like it much better than my MC. lol

1 - 13 of 13 Posts