Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm the proud owner of a XDm 4.5 and a XDm 3.8 compact. The trigger on the 4.5 is pretty smooth however the compact has a ton of slack, creep and overtravel. I'm pretty disappointed in the trigger in fact.

I've decided to do a trigger job on the compact (my CCW) and trying to decide between sending it back to SA for their $240 trigger job and sight replacement package or just sending it to PRP for their combat trigger job ($150). I've heard nothing but good about the PRP stuff, what about SA? How do they compare?

Thanks,
Chris

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
I am sure Springfield would do a great job, I know they did a nice job on my 1911. I had a Combat Carry trigger job done on my XD40SC by PRP and it is excellent, very crisp and set at 4#, I love it and would recommend it and the turn around time was really fast I believe I was without my pistol for exactly one week. You just may want to give PRP a call, they are great folks.I believe you will be happy with the results. By the way, Welcome to the forum stay with us you can learn a lot here about your firearm.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Don't forget about Springer Precision, they also do Awesome work.

Stay Safe.

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
Either SA, PRP or Springer, you will get a nice trigger. If done by SA both the pistol and trigger work will be warranted by SA. With an aftermarket trigger, the pistol will be warranted by SA and the trigger modifications backed by the installer or mfg of the kit. IMO: I have confidence in both Springer or PRP backing their product parts and the installations performed by themselves. They also do sight installations.

The only problem might be if SA determined an otherwise warranted pistol repair was directly caused by the aftermarket trigger modifications.

If you sent a pistol back to SA with an aftermarket kit installed (but that did not cause the problem) not sure if it would be returned with your kit parts or SA parts installed (for liability legalities)- you would need to talk to SA about their policy or maybe someone here knows.

I have PRP (DIY kits) installed in both my pistols, but I would probably return them to the original parts before sending it off to SA, just to eliminate any surprises. Same with any kit that might get "repaired" back to original parts.

The same with sights. Installed by SA / warranted by SA. Installed elsewhere would be up to that installer. All the work done by the regular XDTalk forum 'resident' installers (like ajamesp51) / sellers & site sponsors (as noted above and any other regulars I might have missed) seem to have very good reviews from forum members. SA has had some reports of cracked vials on their nightsight installations (but seems covered by their warranty).

As for the work quality or warranty guarantee of your local or other gunsmiths, you need to contact directly for policies and check reputations. It takes more to being a reputable gunsmith than simply hanging up a sign.

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
I would say to do the PRP kit yourself. Use the money you would have spent on shipping to get the ultimate kit and pop for the polished striker. It's a very easy kit to install

·
Registered
21 Posts
Mines going to SA next week for a comp trigger job. I'm sure you can't go wrong with any of them, I just wanted mine done by the factory.

·
Registered
340 Posts
How much is it to send to each of the companies for them to install? What's their charge and how bad is shipping?

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
Since rates and policies change, that would need to be obtained fresh from each company. After you have discussed the job details and prices.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Since rates and policies change, that would need to be obtained fresh from each company. After you have discussed the job details and prices.

I know, I was just curious about a rough estimate. I don't even know the ballpark figure for what it would run me to send my gun to them to install the trigger.

I was thinking about buying some night sights at the same time I buy the trigger. I think I could probably do the trigger job myself, but I know I can't do the sights. I don't know if I can trust the guys at my local gunshops to install the sights properly (not sure how hard they are to do), so I was thinking about just sending my gun in to PRP and have them install the trigger and sights at the same time...

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
If you just need the sights installed, that is a different deal. Send the slide only. This is legally classed as an accessory part. No restrictions on shipping method, or legal issues / no FFL on either end. Then DIY the trigger.
But if you are considering sending out the frame (the legal firearm) for the trigger work and have to go thru the necessary steps for this, then might as well include the slide for sight installation.
Some installers seem to have arranged special shipping for both ways, but you need to contact them first. Others include the return shipping in their quoted price instead of work price plus S&H. Or maybe scale the shipping dependent on the amount of work (price) of the order. Two pistol deals, ect.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I have the PRP trigger in my 4.5 XDM and it is pretty great. You can request the trigger pull weight that you prefer. I think starting at 5.5 lb and ending at 3 lbs. I asked for 4.5 lbs.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I would say to do the PRP kit yourself. Use the money you would have spent on shipping to get the ultimate kit and pop for the polished striker. It's a very easy kit to install
This, I knew next to nothing about how to do this, saw a vid on youtube, and within 2 hours had it fully installed and WOW!!!!

Every person I have let shoot my XDM .40 compact has been amazed by the trigger!!! Such a short amount of travel, nice crisp feel!! I will be returning for other triggers for future weapons.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I have the PRP trigger in my 4.5 XDM and it is pretty great. You can request the trigger pull weight that you prefer. I think starting at 5.5 lb and ending at 3 lbs. I asked for 4.5 lbs.

Sorry about hijacking the thread over and over, but what do you guys think the best pull weight would be for a CCW gun? I know it's personal preference and all, but I'm not going to go try a bunch of different guns with different trigger weights to see what I like. Whatever I get I'll get used to it and learn to shoot it. Since this is my only gun, I also use it for a weekly action pistol match, IPSC, and IDPA. But I also am planning on carrying it every day once I get my permit.

I'm good at keeping my finger off the trigger and all that so I'm not too worried about accidentally shooting it if it has too light of a pull, but I also have no clue how different a 6lb trigger and a 3lb trigger feel. And I'm not sure what my stock XDMc 9mm trigger pull is. I was just planning on ordering a 4-4.5lb trigger...

·
Registered
538 Posts
I sent my XDm 9c to PRP for all new internals and such, and I went with the 4 lb trigger. While I was discussing the order with them, they said 4# is generally suggested as a good carry weight. I had asked for the PRP sear in the pistol as well, and that's when they told me the new sear would take the trigger down to about 3.5, which they did not suggest.

But I LOVE my custom PRP xdm!

·
Registered
768 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Don't forget about Springer Precision, they also do Awesome work.

Stay Safe.
+1
Springer did mine and I could not be happier! Very good work indeed. Scott and Christine are easy to work with, great communication and very fast. Took me 8 days including a weekend and I had my XDM .40 back...

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
Sorry about hijacking the thread over and over, but what do you guys think the best pull weight would be for a CCW gun? I know it's personal preference and all, but I'm not going to go try a bunch of different guns with different trigger weights to see what I like. Whatever I get I'll get used to it and learn to shoot it. Since this is my only gun, I also use it for a weekly action pistol match, IPSC, and IDPA. But I also am planning on carrying it every day once I get my permit.

I'm good at keeping my finger off the trigger and all that so I'm not too worried about accidentally shooting it if it has too light of a pull, but I also have no clue how different a 6lb trigger and a 3lb trigger feel. And I'm not sure what my stock XDMc 9mm trigger pull is. I was just planning on ordering a 4-4.5lb trigger...
The pound pull with factory springs with the PRP kit (which eliminates one spring) is light enough. Haven't measured mine, but it's notably less than buddies XD factory triggers and with the polishing is very smooth. Probably is 4-4.5#. The smoothness is WAY more important than the raw poundage -- unless you have no muscle.

Personal editorial alert!
I wouldn't want to cc a gun with super short travel and light trigger. Too easy to ND yourself into the headlines. WI is going to be issuing CC licenses and I will be getting a different gun to carry for just that reason. I DON'T want my nickname to be "Plaxico" or get in the headlines for shooting a hole in my wanker!

For free you can polish the sear, striker, striker channel and trigger components where any rub is seen. That may improve things all you need. It's also easy to do and pretty quick - probably 15 -20 minutes total with a large polishing wheel.

·
Registered
21 Posts
How much is it to send to each of the companies for them to install? What's their charge and how bad is shipping?
I screwed up big time. I just UPS'd my XDM to SA to have trigger and fastfire sight installed. Shipping was $68.00 one way from Michigan. Thought that was a deal because Fed-Ex wanted $112.00. Then I found out that SA will send you a round trip call tag for $60.00 Too late for me, but hopefully this will help you.

·
Registered
506 Posts

For a carry pistol, i would go with 5.5. The 4.5 lb. pull that i have on my PRP XDM, feels a tad light for carry, IMO.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts