Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a call from SA, this morning. It seems that some little s*** in the custom shop has ordained that having the finish wear off on the slide-corners after one month is "normal wear." They won't refinish it unless I pay them. I was shocked, especiallly after reading about so many people here getting their gun refinished under warranty.

After the first two months of owning the gun the white came out of the sites, as well.

I was so pissed I told them to send the gun back to me, post haste. I gotta tell ya, for a company to put out a gun with this kind of finish on it, knowing that it comes off, and refusing to warranty it is worse than lame. It verges on criminal. If I'd known of this outcome I wouldn't have bought the gun... maybe a CZ or Sig would have been a better choice. Hind sight is 20/20.

I love the way the gun shoots, but there are other guns out there that shoot as well but don't have these hastles the XD has. Right now, I'm finished with SA, and I expect that it is for good. Screwing me once is all I can stand, it won't happen again.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Im real sorry about your luck! I just sent mine so I will keep you updated on the response they give me. Hopefully it is different but I dont see it being that way. :(

Im suprised no one has started a lawsuit. I realize with a ton of owners on one site you are bound to see problems but it seem's like a few too many.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Unfortunately the abusers of the system have started to ruin it for the people who really need refinishing under warranty.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Just out of curiosity, how much did you pay for your XD??? 419 like most guys here maybe you got it on sale for 399 with the two hi-cap mag’s and holster???

How would you compare this to a Glock??? is it more comfortable to you?? shoot straighter in your hands? More reliable???

Now I don’t know where you live but here in Indiana Glocks run average about 550-650 depending on what model and all so if you sink an extra what is it 70-80 dollars into a new finish you would still pay less than some of the more expensive Glocks have a more reliable firearm and have a lot more fun at the range...

I know some people have gotten away with free finish's but I mean common your getting a great deal on the pistol so what’s the big deal in investing a few more bucks into a finish that will last??? I paid 630 dollars for mine and got a great finish with a lifetime warranty cat beat that in my opinion

·
Registered
427 Posts
It seems that some little s*** in the custom shop has ordained that having the finish wear off on the slide-corners after one month is "normal wear."
Wouldn't you consider that "normal wear"?? Mine has the same thing (carrying everyday seems to cause a minor case of "holster wear"). Why should SA be responsible for YOUR wear (I would agree if it was a rust problem!)??

I realize with a ton of owners on one site you are bound to see problems but it seem's like a few too many.
What site are you talking about?? This site?? If so, I think it may just be you imagining things! Most problems on here are either easily fixable or sent back to SA for repair/replacement (Valid problems!!!)

Also, you guys seem to be the only 2 on this forum who want to sell your XD's due to SA's lack of (whatever ya wanna call it!).

Anyway, I wish ya luck on your problem and hope ya get it hashed out! But I wouldn't spout off and blame SA for "your wear problems"!

Really starting to think that this is becoming a battle ground for GlockTalkers!!! Kinda like the Tanya Harding/Nancy Kerrigan incident!!!

·
Registered
657 Posts
I don’t know that being said that he is only the second person he might just be a troll if so I got the perfect solution to his problem we can just have him stair at this for a little while...

·
Registered
454 Posts
Can't satisfy everyone I guess. Maybe you should sit down with pen and paper and fire off a firm, to the point letter from a consumer to the president at SA. I had some problems with Rocky shoe & boot company awhile back with a pair of 225.00 winter pac boots that tore apart after one weekend of deer hunting. They wouldn't warranty and wouldn't even give me a RA to send them back to even look at them no matter who I talked to on the phone or via e-mail. So I sent off a firm almost angry letter to the president of the company about backing up his expensive product and there customer service,etc.etc. Long story short 2 weeks after the letter went out I got a call from the presidents secretary and she gave me a RA and I got a brand new pair of boots an upgrade from what I had originally had even, a week after that with a hand signed apology. All I asked is that they looked at them and if they still thought it wasn't there defect, that was fine I would buy some Sorels or Lacrosse instead to replace them. But told them I thought they deserved the chance to keep my business if they wanted it. Just my .02

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Holster wear is a separate issue than rusting through the finish, IMO. I expect to see holster wear, even on a gun I take care of. I don't expect to see rust on a gun I take care of. If you get rust despite your best efforts to keep it away, SA should (and probably will) refinish it for you without a lot of hassle. If you don't want any wear on the edges of your slide, don't carry it in a holster. Seems SA is tired of refinishing slides for reasons like this, and I can't say I blame them. Did the finish fall off the edges of your slide all by itself, or did you help that happen in some way? Did you treat the inside of your holster with anything, and make sure it was cleaned of all possible abrasives?

The problem is, it seems a lot of folks want their gun to look like a virgin, even when they use her like a whore.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
I had some minor rusting issues at one time.. I called SA and they said I could send it in to be refinished.. 4-6 weeks to get it back to me.. yeah.. right! Out of my cold dead holster! I ain't sending my pistol in for that length of time for a minor issue.. I just started taking better care of it.

Recently, I sanded off the finish. It seems that it is the finish that collects the rust. The shiny metal underneath has had no problems so far. I don't know if this is because I pay more attention to it, or if the pistol is prone to rusting. I figure, if I have a problem I will send it off to Canyon Creek. But not until I get the holster for the little .38.. I am still waiting for that...

Raymond

·
Registered
813 Posts
holster wear is common for all guns no matter what kind of holster you use. Especially on the edges. As far as I know, they have never warranteed normal wear, only rust issues.
Unfortunately even glocks black coating wears (actually it wears off quick too since it's just a finish on top of the actual Tennifer metal treatment) so no matter what gun you own, expect it to happen. What you could have done, and you may want to consider if they haven't shipped it back already, is pay the 60 bucks to have the slide GunKoted by Springfield. It will come back with a finish that is more durable than most factory finishes on any gun out there (although it too will wear over time. It will just take alot longer). It's done by the factory, and you will still have spent much less than if you had gone with a SIG, HK or Glock.

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
I've been shooting since the 70s and never had to call any gun company for warranty work or any other problem. Remington, Smith and Wesson, Colt, Ruger, H&R, Mossberg, CZ, Springfield Armory or whatever.

What about my British Enfield from 1918?

Who ya gonna call?.....................Ghostbusters! :lol:

I wish there were pictures of your pistol so we can all make a un-bias decision, but a little edge wear is too minor after a few months. Even if Springfield Armory did do a refinish, it probably wouldn't be too long before you sent it back again. I don't know of any gun company that has a permanent bluing process. Parkerizing, Duracoat, Wondercoat, Titanium Coat, HardChrome....they will all show some wear.

I don't care if my XDs were handpainted Yellow with Blue spots! They are some of the best pistols to come down the pipe in ages!

·
Registered
9,135 Posts
lYxFizzyl said:
I don’t know that being said that he is only the second person he might just be a troll if so I got the perfect solution to his problem we can just have him stair at this for a little while...

me likey

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Roland Ansgar said:
Just got a call from SA, this morning. It seems that some little s*** in the custom shop has ordained that having the finish wear off on the slide-corners after one month is "normal wear." They won't refinish it unless I pay them. I was shocked, especiallly after reading about so many people here getting their gun refinished under warranty.

After the first two months of owning the gun the white came out of the sites, as well.

I was so pissed I told them to send the gun back to me, post haste. I gotta tell ya, for a company to put out a gun with this kind of finish on it, knowing that it comes off, and refusing to warranty it is worse than lame. It verges on criminal. If I'd known of this outcome I wouldn't have bought the gun... maybe a CZ or Sig would have been a better choice. Hind sight is 20/20.

I love the way the gun shoots, but there are other guns out there that shoot as well but don't have these hastles the XD has. Right now, I'm finished with SA, and I expect that it is for good. Screwing me once is all I can stand, it won't happen again.
Hmm, CZ is not especially warranty friendly either. Had a hard time getting a gun with cracked frame replaced (had to write the parent company in the Czech Republic, lucky I am a native speaker of the language). Mike, the gunsmith there loves to just ship you parts and tell you to install yourself. On the other hand the black polymer finish is especially tough. I have a 10 year old Cz-75 that is just showing some minor nicks/scratches from wear and this is a hard working gun.

I love my XD and have had no real problems with the finish, sure it gets worn, but just treat it right and it is fine. I sort of like the wear as it shows the gun gets used. This weekend it spent 8+ hour in the open in the rain during a course I was taking. No rust so far, and I do NOT use Armadillo.

·
Registered
114 Posts
All guns will wear, in and out of a holster.I have a Glock 19 that looks grey on both sides from holster wear.Even the shine on stainless dulls from holster wear.CZ's are nice guns but they wear in and out of holsters to.What kind of holster do you have? Maybe a better holster wont wear your gun as fast.I cant see paying high dollar for sig's,thier nice but not 700.00 to 900.00 nice and thier gonna wear to.XD 9's run 389.00 at the shop i buy from and 40's run 409.00 CZ 75b 9mm or 40 runs 419.00.How much $ would you take for it and is it XD 9 or 40?

·
Registered
386 Posts
lYxFizzyl Holly hell what the heck are you trying to do to me. :evil: I’m about to have a seizer staring at that junk. tec you are no good too. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: I about had to shoot my screen.

Darn acid flashbacks :evil:

My finish is fine. If you dont like it, I am sure someone will buy it here. Since it stinks than it is not worth asking for very much. :wink:

·
Banned
11,479 Posts
attackrott said:
lYxFizzyl Holly hell what the heck are you trying to do to me. :evil: I’m about to have a seizer staring at that junk. tec you are no good too. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: I about had to shoot my screen.

Darn acid flashbacks :evil:

My finish is fine. If you dont like it, I am sure someone will buy it here. Since it stinks than it is not worth asking for very much. :wink:
I hear ya! I'm returning fire! GET DOWN! I hate flashing crap.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts