Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, I'm sending my XDM to the custom shop to have a Burris Fastfire installed (milled slide). My question is: Should I just have them do the match trigger job at the same time. I always read about Springer or PRP trigger jobs, but never SA Custom shop. Anyone ever have SA do it?

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
I has SA do a couple Combat/Carry jobs but not a Comp/Match job. Both Carry jobs were excellent FWIW.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have an XD9 Custom Competition. The Custom Shop trigger job is first rate...reduced pull, take-up, and overtravel that feels just about perfect for shooting IDPA/USPSA. Say, how did that FastFire work out? I've heard concerns that the dot is difficult to see under certain lighting conditions. And I'm guessing that the gun us back from the shop by now...what do you think?

·
Registered
17 Posts
The SA Custom Shop does excellent work! If the gun will be used for defensive purposes, I would go with the Combat job, not the Competition job. Regarding the Burris, note that you will need to experiment with the recoil spring as the FastFire adds significant weight to the slide. I prefer the JP JPoint because it's so very light at 0.5 oz and does not impact cycling. The Burris is 0.9 oz which is significant. That said, the FastFire has a great sight picture and as long as you work with spring weight, all is good.

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
The SA Custom Shop does excellent work! If the gun will be used for defensive purposes, I would go with the Combat job, not the Competition job. Regarding the Burris, note that you will need to experiment with the recoil spring as the FastFire adds significant weight to the slide. I prefer the JP JPoint because it's so very light at 0.5 oz and does not impact cycling. The Burris is 0.9 oz which is significant. That said, the FastFire has a great sight picture and as long as you work with spring weight, all is good.
Is this info about springs from personal use or some thing you heard on the internet?

I have a fastfire mounted on an xd(m) .40 service and have not had any feed or any other problems using the stock springs.

don

·
Registered
17 Posts
From personal use. I mounted a FastFire on a XDm 4.5 9MM using the Burris dovetail mount, which sucks btw, and experienced failure to load and failure to lock back on empty. Note that this was with lighter Remmington UMC and Federal Champion loads, and that S&B loads ran fine. A lighter spring fixed the problems, but I gave up on the mount.

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
From personal use. I mounted a FastFire on a XDm 4.5 9MM using the Burris dovetail mount, which sucks btw, and experienced failure to load and failure to lock back on empty. Note that this was with lighter Remmington UMC and Federal Champion loads, and that S&B loads ran fine. A lighter spring fixed the problems, but I gave up on the mount.
What problems did you have with the mount? Mine works fine!

don

·
Registered
17 Posts
I found the dovetail mount to be too thin and not fit well. I tightened it down and it moved. I tightened it down again, and striped the threads. Got a new one from Burris and did the exact same thing. Maybe it was me, but I used a torque wrench, I don't know. The FastFire is now in a happy place on an angle mount as a CQB sight on an AR.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts