Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife likes shooting my champion operator more than her Glock 19. Would this make a good first 1911 for her? If so I'm going to solo my g36 to fund a GI for her. Let me know your thoughts. Thanks!

·
Registered
942 Posts
If she likes shooting it then i would think it would be a good gun for her.

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
Sounds familiar. My wife moved from her G19 to an EMP 9. She's now fallen in love with my EB Stinger. If she can handle the recoil then there shouldn't be any issues.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I explained all the differences between my operator and the gi. Were going to the range in a few days to see what she thinks about it after she shoots it a bit.

·
Registered
29,621 Posts
I wouldn't get a GI, but a loaded would not be a bad choice. Better sights, for starters...

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
If it makes her happy, then there isn't any question. :)

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think she will shoot it as well as my operator. She could care less about all the bells and whistles. Hope my h36 sells soon. Ready to add the gi to my Uh our collection! Lol

·
Registered
29,621 Posts
Your operator also has a beavertail and a commander hammer--that spur hammer with GI grip safety is a recipe for hammer bite.

Why would you want to go cheap on a weapon for your wife? It's not like it's that much more expensive...

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Your operator also has a beavertail and a commander hammer--that spur hammer with GI grip safety is a recipe for hammer bite.

Why would you want to go cheap on a weapon for your wife? It's not like it's that much more expensive...
Because I'm a cheap ass! I'm confused on the hammer bite. How does that occur?

·
Registered
29,621 Posts
When the slide comes back in recoil, it cocks the hammer by forcing it to rotate down--very, very rapidly.

The spur on the hammer will extend further down than a commander-style hammer; and if one is holding the 1911 in the most efficient--that is, high-handed--hold, the spur will often strike the web between the thumb and trigger finger. It hurts. The beavertail safety and commander-type hammer prevents this.

How about you give HER your operator, and get the GI for yourself...and see how much you like it.

(And I'll bet you want a loaded tut suite...)

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
When the slide comes back in recoil, it cocks the hammer by forcing it to rotate down--very, very rapidly.

The spur on the hammer will extend further down than a commander-style hammer; and if one is holding the 1911 in the most efficient--that is, high-handed--hold, the spur will often strike the web between the thumb and trigger finger. It hurts. The beavertail safety and commander-type hammer prevents this.

How about you give HER your operator, and get the GI for yourself...and see how much you like it.

(And I'll bet you want a loaded tut suite...)
That's a good idea. I can tinker with the gi a bit to my liking. I was wondering how her skin would get in-between the hammer and grip safety.

·
Registered
29,621 Posts
That's a good idea. I can tinker with the gi a bit to my liking. I was wondering how her skin would get in-between the hammer and grip safety.
The GI doesn't have the extended safety (aka beavertail) that the Loaded, etc have. The web of the hand doesn't get on top of it, the grip safety doesn't extend back far enough to protect it.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Ya, Ive got a GI 1911 9mm and that grip safety is just a grip safety. Provides no protection for the web of the hand.
I put a bit over 200 rounds through mine yesterday and I've almost got blisters on the web. Very raw, very tender. Beavertail is in the future on this if nothing else. :eek:

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
It only takes one instance of slide bite and you will never forget it. Mine bit me almost 20 years ago and I can still see the blood running down my arm. I know lots of folks that can shoot the standard gs fine but I've got fat hands so all my 1911s have to have beavertails.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well I sold her Glock so we will be headed out to the gun shop first thing next week. I tried to talk her in to a loaded but she insists on the cheaper gi. I'll let her hold them both and I'm sure the loaded will sell it's self.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts