Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got a push notification for this: SA-35 Handguns - Springfield Armory (springfield-armory.com)

This looks good to me... at a MSRP of $699, 4.8" high, and 31.5 oz. definitely a possible winter or open carry gun. I don't like the blued finish in terms of durability, but... might have to sell my Milspec.

What do you all think of Springfield's newest take on a Browning design?

Reactions: Padraig

·
Registered
527 Posts
Well, I personally like the Hi Power, so I think this is a good thing, especially with the tweaks in the new one. Since I have sold mine, I have come to prefer the 1911, though. I suspect this is made in the USA from Turkish parts. If that’s the case, look for a stainless model soon.

·
Registered
642 Posts
I never had any interest in the HiPower, I've only shot one on two different occasions.
I don't dislike them but I won't be buying one either.
Come on man! made in the USA and a msrp of $699 for a all steel gun. I'm gonna brainwash you to be my friend 😆. See now I'm just being a asshole. I probably shot a high power but since I don't recall. I probably wasn't impressed.

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
Yea, when they add an ambi safety.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: xd45s

·
Premium Member
1,082 Posts
Well this is good and tempting for me, I pine for a 40 version myself. I do need a Hi-Power for giggle and grins though.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Waiting on a stainless one to come out. I live on the gulf coast of Mississippi, and with the salty air and stupid humidity . . . gotta go stainless. Blued guns are pretty, but just not practical on the gulf coast.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Just got a push notification for this: SA-35 Handguns - Springfield Armory (springfield-armory.com)

This looks good to me... at a MSRP of $699, 4.8" high, and 31.5 oz. definitely a possible winter or open carry gun. I don't like the blued finish in terms of durability, but... might have to sell my Milspec.

What do you all think of Springfield's newest take on a Browning design?
Judging by all the comments and excitement over other firearm forums, social media, and Youtube, I am sure that Springfield will not have any issue selling your copy if you choose not to buy.

·
Registered
810 Posts
I had a mint Belgium Hi-Power with a perfect greyish blue finish that would of had any Hi-Power fan giddy. They'd be so eager to buy it they'd pull out their wallet so fast they'd throw it across the room. It had wood grips and was the best Hi-Power I could ask for. I removed the mag disconnect safety and added a hammer to stop the hammer bite. It shot well enough and was totally reliable. In the end I sold it for a lot more than I bought it for. I really didn't feel fondness for it and found it to be a very blocky pistol in the hand with a so-so trigger and a very odd profile when you look at it at certain angles. The abrupt taper of the slide doesn't help with this.

Now I don't dislike the Hi-Power, but I think it's over-hyped to H&K P7 levels. Springfield definitely improved quite a few areas, it's priced well and I may ask to hold one if I see it in a local shop's case, but I'm not excited about it at all. They'll sell every single one they make for sure and maybe they'll come out with more models in the future that may even have me taking a second look. By my profile you'd think I'd be all over it, but I'm more of a 1911 and 1903 Pocket Hammerless fan when it comes to JMB's pistol designs.

·
Premium Member
1,082 Posts
I had a mint Belgium Hi-Power with a perfect greyish blue finish that would of had any Hi-Power fan giddy. They'd be so eager to buy it they'd pull out their wallet so fast they'd throw it across the room. It had wood grips and was the best Hi-Power I could ask for. I removed the mag disconnect safety and added a hammer to stop the hammer bite. It shot well enough and was totally reliable. In the end I sold it for a lot more than I bought it for. I really didn't feel fondness for it and found it to be a very blocky pistol in the hand with a so-so trigger and a very odd profile when you look it at in certain angles. The abrupt taper of the slide doesn't help with this.

Now I don't dislike the Hi-Power, but I think it's over-hyped to H&K P7 levels. Springfield definitely improved quite a few areas, it's priced well and I may ask to hold one if I see it in a local shop's case, but I'm not excited about it at all. They'll sell every single one they make for sure and maybe they'll come out with more models in the future that may even have me taking a second look. By my profile you'd think I'd be all over it, but I'm more of a 1911 and 1903 Pocket Hammerless fan when it comes to JMB's pistol designs.
Well it was good enough for Detective Axel Foley of Detroit Metro, then it's okay by me.

·
Registered
5,886 Posts
Am I silly to want an optics ready version? I've been enjoying switch to carry optics division in USPSA with walther PDP but miss steel gun.

Reactions: treepotato

·
Registered
17,817 Posts
I definitely would like one...even a clone can be a decent piece if maintained well

The Colt 1991A1 I have is a solid shooter and is more or less a "clone" of the original on original tooling...

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Never had a Hi Power, could never afford one.
This SA-35 has just moved to the top of my bucket list.
I have never bought a new firearm when they first came out until it proved itself, but this could be an exception.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Judging by all the comments and excitement over other firearm forums, social media, and Youtube, I am sure that Springfield will not have any issue selling your copy if you choose not to buy.
Well, I'm pretty excited myself and I've been entertaining the idea of consolidating my handgun calibers to just 9mm. Plus, the Milspec is too heavy to practically EDC if I couldn't use my primary for whatever reason.

That being said, I probably won't be an early adopter though. I think I'll see how the market plays out over the next two years.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I first shot the Hi-Power in a NATO weapons class I had at Ft Bragg in 1977, liked the weapon a lot, shot well and fit my hand. Next year we spent 3 weeks with 2 Para and had range time with the SLR ( Fal ), Hi-Power and the GPMG....great fun was had by all. Again lots of range time with the Hi-Power. One of the things I like about the SA-35 is the parts commonality with the FN pistols to include magazines so it might by a builders dream. Wonder if this will cause the price point of the FN guns go down? Do I want one? Who do I give my money too? I have already sent my yearly letter to Santa asking for one to be put under my tree.
Jump62
aka Paul

1 - 20 of 29 Posts