Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
Haven't seen a lot of guns have issues with GDs but sometimes a specific gun won't run a specific brand of ammo. Are they getting stuck on the feed ramp or going into the chamber? If it's going into the chamber then it might require throating if all your FMJ rounds are feeding fine. On the feed ramp it might need to be polished. Before doing anything to the gun I would try another brand of JHPs. If those don't work then I would look at the gun.

·
Registered
29,617 Posts
Do they feed if you slingshot the slide/drop it from slide release, or are you easing the sldie forward?

How do they feed when you shoot them?

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
They feed if I violently rack the slide some of the time. Not good enough. Then again, I haven't shot them, so I haven't seen how they do once one's left the chamber and the next is trying to load up.
Agree. You definitely don't want to force it as it will just dig into the feed ramp. I assume the gun has good springs, has at least a couple hundred rounds through it, and is properly lubed. Occasionally, a different follower will position rounds higher on the ramp. As mentioned, I would try another round from another vendor as bullet profiles are slightly different. Generally Speer SD rounds feed pretty good but if it has issues with multiple brands, you just might need to have the feed ramp polished.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Extra strength mag springs? Just a suggestion.

I have issues with some hollow points and one mag. Middle of ramp on ramped barrel. FMJ works fine in the mag but JHP doesn't.
Same mag, two different weapons, identical issues. It's the mag.
I'm gonna try a higher strength spring first. If that doesn't do it, that's ok, I want the spring anyway. :)
Next is the trying a different follower to kick up the first round a bit higher.
I've noticed the one that doesn't feed the JHP doesn't have as deep a front face on it compared to the ones that feed fine.

Do following rounds feed fine or just the first one? Or just any round?

·
Registered
760 Posts
From what I have read on a lot of forums (take with a grain of salt :)), the 1911 was designed to run FMJ's. A lot of 1911's are finicky about HP's they will feed.....if they will feed them at all. The more conical the HP is, the more like a FMJ it is and will feed without much issue.

I have a Kimber Pro Carry. Kimber recommends shooting Remington Golden Sabers and Federal Hydra-Shoks with their 1911's. However, I have shot Gold Dots, Federal HST's, and the Golden Sabers without any problems. I settled on the Golden Sabers. I also bought Wilson Combat 47D mags, as the factory mags left a lot to be desired. So far, they have performed great. I also changed out the recoil spring to a Wolff brand that was made for the 4" 1911.

As stated above, if you can, try different brands of HP's. Maybe even a different brand of mag.

·
Registered
588 Posts
1) Try different brand mag – like Wilsons.
2) Polish the feed ramp
3) Heavier recoil spring, though it should run with the 16
4) Don't hand feed it; SHOOT IT! If and when it jams take careful note of the position of the jammed round.
5) I am assuming the "great price" was on factory ammo and not someone's reloads?
6) Round count on the pistol?
7) Your first 1911?

CX

·
Registered
59 Posts
All of the advise you have recieved above is excellent.
Some 1911's are ammo and magazine picky.
They can take a bit of range time to sort out.
Just take your time and try the suggestins in the post's above.

The one thing I am assuming is that you have at least 200-300 rounds of FMJ through the pistol, a bit more would be better.

If not, do so, as it will help get the pistol broke in an running proper.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
My Loaded would feed Remington Golden Saber and Winchester whie box 230 gr JHP but the Speer Gold dots would not feed. This was after about 250 rounds down range; now after 400 rounds down range the pistol is eating Speer Gold Dot like a starving Wolf. I clean the pistol after every trip to the range and keep her well lubed, while shooting I put a drop or two of REMOIL on the disconnecter about every thirty rounds seems to keep it runnung smooth.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I know this thread is a little old, but I am having the exact same problem with my SA Loaded 1911. This is my first 1911, and I have tried GDHP's, Corbon DPX HP's, and HST Hp's. The HST's feed 90% of the time, while the others will not feed from a full mag. I have 2 Wilson Combat 47D's, and the 2 factory mags. Same result from all mags. The GDHP's will chamber if I leave two or three rounds out of the mag. They appear to hang about halfway up the feed ramp when the mags are full.

The gun is brand new (50 flawless ball rounds from all 4 mags). Would I need to polish a brand new feed ramp? Should I put another couple hundred through it before I worry? One poster above mentioned stronger mag springs but this seems counterintuitive for my scenario. Mine feed correctly when the mags are partially empty, which would lead me to believe i need weaker springs. Would love to hear follow up from the OP if he/she managed to resolve the issue. TIA

·
Registered
763 Posts
I realize your question is to the OP, but I will chime in and say that 50 rounds is not enough break in time. Also, have you cleaned and lubricated the gun? Some new 1911's like to be run fairly wet until break in, which, to my understanding, is a minimum 100 rounds, some say 500, some even suggest 1,000!

I will suggest you get at least 100 rounds downrange, then try the Remington Golden Sabre's-they are a little more conical on the ends and will likely feed easier. My .02, YMMV. Good luck, and happy shootin' :)

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I think your 1911 needs more break in time. MY RIA Tac 1911had problems with 8 rnd mags fully loaded at first with HP's. See if it will feed 7 rnds of HP(i only Had 7 rnd HP mags for a while), the new springs in my mags seem to cause the top rnd to drag while the slide tried to push it foward. I also picked up some Remington Golden Saber, the rounded HP helped with my feeding problems until i got my "Rock" broken in.

My 1911 fixed itself over the first 500 rnds.

·
Premium Member
16,913 Posts
take gun apart look for metal shavings if no metal shavings take toothbrush put t shirt material over it wipe out all the carbon. put grease on the rails the flat area where the lower and the slide come together where the disconnect comes through the frame, oil, yes oil like mobil one you have in your garage everywhere else. both should be applied in as thin a coat as possible where it still covers the entire surface area. you must pull slide all the way back before releasing the slide. oh when i said take it apart i meant firing in, extractor, trigger all need to come out.

try it if it doesn't work

put a round by hand into the extractor (with the slide off the frame obviously) if it has to be pushed in, and when pushed in when you gently move the slide around it stays put, but no scraping when you put it in, or when you ease it out of the extractor)

if it passes that test and doesn't work I got nothing beyond new magazines and polishing feed ramp, or a gunsmith cause your ramp could be too high i suppose or your ejector could be too low blocking the mag from reaching appropriate height

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
compare the rounds that won't feed to the ones that do.
You'll notice a difference in lenght and shape of the bullet.
My Gold Dots feed fine, but some other JHPs don't. They're shorter and a bit "stubby" on the end. They get hung up on the ramp about halfway up.
palm slam will feed them, but you'll also find this can send the bullet into the casing. Not good.
I exchanged my follower for one from Checkmate with the extended feedlip and the issue resolved in my RIA 1911 but persists with my Kimber Pro Carry II.
It's pickier.
Same mag.
The Rock doesn't have the feed ramp on the barrel, the Kimber has a bull barrel with the feed ramp.
That appears to be the main difference.
Just an fyi on what I found with mine as we have the same issue.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts