Springfield XD Forum banner
21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
I honestly don't think this XDM will make it long. Especially not in today's ammo market. If this had dropped at about the same time as the original XDM 10mm, it might've stood a better chance. But right now? No one's buying a brand-new super-compact 10mm pistol, and if they are, they're probably sticking with Glock, who's had one out successfully for years.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I honestly don't think this XDM will make it long. Especially not in today's ammo market. If this had dropped at about the same time as the original XDM 10mm, it might've stood a better chance. But right now? No one's buying a brand-new super-compact 10mm pistol, and if they are, they're probably sticking with Glock, who's had one out successfully for years.
Not sure I follow you...

1) 10 mm is ~ the same price as .45 ACP. $0.60 to $0.70 per round (a lot for a pistol), but 9 mm is hovering around $0.36 to $0.50. I don't think 9 mm will go back down to $0.20 and I don't think .45 ACP is going back to $0.35 to $0.45, but I also don't see people selling their .45 ACP's (I mean I would would imagine that .40 cal fans will keep the round in production for a few decades even though less and less pistols are being chambered in it). People who buy 10mm's buy 10mm's for the power not to save money. Otherwise everyone would use .22 LR exclusively.

2) Most experts recommend new gun owners start with 9mm and the most sold handguns sold in 2020 tended to be 9mm's. Let's assume that new gun owners actually heed the experts (okay, this is a logical fallacy and I know it, but let's pretend) logically most folks who buy a 10 mm aren't buying their first gun. If they own other guns, they have feel for what they like and brand preferences based on what they currently own. Now I'm not saying that this would be enough to steer someone away from the Glock, but if someone likes XD's more than Glocks, I'm not sure it is reasonable to assume that they are going to go with the Glock just because it has been out longer. Furthermore, both platforms (ie XD's vs Glocks) have been out over 20 years (the XD9 has been out since 2000 and Glocks came out in the '80s) and both platforms have a really strong following.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Not sure I follow you...

1) 10 mm is ~ the same price as .45 ACP. $0.60 to $0.70 per round (a lot for a pistol), but 9 mm is hovering around $0.36 to $0.50. I don't think 9 mm will go back down to $0.20 and I don't think .45 ACP is going back to $0.35 to $0.45, but I also don't see people selling their .45 ACP's (I mean I would would imagine that .40 cal fans will keep the round in production for a few decades even though less and less pistols are being chambered in it). People who buy 10mm's buy 10mm's for the power not to save money. Otherwise everyone would use .22 LR exclusively.
A 3.8" barrel isn't taking advantage of 10mm power, though. Price similarity aside, ammo availability was more what I was thinking. Even in the best of times, you couldn't always expect 10mm to be on the shelf of the local gun store or box store. Definitely couldn't get it at Walmart (back when Walmart was an ammo haven). If we weren't in Ammogeddon 2.0, then this particular model would probably do fine. But right now, I don't expect SA is going to sell a lot of these. At least not until 10mm becomes more available to the masses.

2) Most experts recommend new gun owners start with 9mm and the most sold handguns sold in 2020 tended to be 9mm's. Let's assume that new gun owners actually heed the experts (okay, this is a logical fallacy and I know it, but let's pretend) logically most folks who buy a 10 mm aren't buying their first gun. If they own other guns, they have feel for what they like and brand preferences based on what they currently own. Now I'm not saying that this would be enough to steer someone away from the Glock, but if someone likes XD's more than Glocks, I'm not sure it is reasonable to assume that they are going to go with the Glock just because it has been out longer. Furthermore, both platforms (ie XD's vs Glocks) have been out over 20 years (the XD9 has been out since 2000 and Glocks came out in the '80s) and both platforms have a really strong following.
Granted. Prior/current Springfield owners may gravitate towards it. I just think SA missed the boat on this model by a few years. Or maybe (hopefully) they're just a little early.

·
Registered
63 Posts
A 3.8" barrel isn't taking advantage of 10mm power, though.
Please see:
BBTI - Ballistics by the Inch :: Home

Summary:
10mm in 3.8 inch barrel: ~ average of 520 ft-lbf.
10mm in 5 inch barrel: ~ average of 590 ft-lbf.
.45 ACP in 5 inch barrel: ~ average of 400 ft-lbf.
9mm in 5 inch barrel: ~ average of 350 ft-lbf.
.44 Mag in 5 inch barrel: ~ average of 780 ft-lbf.
.357 Mag in 3.5 inch barrel: ~ average of 520 ft-lbf.
.357 Mag in 5 inch barrel: ~ average of 650 ft-lbf.

So the XDM would lose ~70 ft-lbf compared to the Glock and have the power of 3.5 inch .357 Mag revolver in a semi-auto. XDM in 10 mm has 120 ft-lbs more energy than a government 1911 in .45 and 170 ft-lbs more energy than 9mm government.

If we weren't in Ammogeddon 2.0, then this particular model would probably do fine. But right now, I don't expect SA is going to sell a lot of these. At least not until 10mm becomes more available to the masses
There's been an ammo-shortage every 3 to 5 years since '08. Agreed that finding it locally is probably difficult, but up until a few months ago 9mm couldn't really be found locally here.

Plus, a 10mm (though popularity is growing) is still somewhat of a niche market. A lot of people have an apprehension to 10 mm due to the recoil and the FBI even called it excessive when they conducted their massive testing array following the 1986 Miami incident. So, if the marketing folks at SA know what they are doing they probably aren't planning on selling a lot of these. I personally only see this being useful in grizzly country. This would be more compact than the Glock while being a reasonable tool for the job.

·
Registered
541 Posts
It's a great looking pistol. I doubt I would enjoy shooting it. I would rather see SA come out with a compact 22lr pistol than a compact 10mm pistol.

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Please see:

Summary:
10mm in 3.8 inch barrel: ~ average of 520 ft-lbf.
10mm in 5 inch barrel: ~ average of 590 ft-lbf.

So the XDM would lose ~70 ft-lbf compared to the Glock and have the power of 3.5 inch .357 Mag revolver in a semi-auto. XDM in 10 mm has 120 ft-lbs more energy than a government 1911 in .45 and 170 ft-lbs more energy than 9mm government.
You claim the G-20 has a 5.0" barrel it is 4.6". The G-29 has a 3.78", directly comparable to the XDM10 Compact 3.8" XDM10's come in 4.5 and 5.25" versions too, while Glock has the G-40 with a 6" barrel.

·
Registered
54 Posts
You claim the G-20 has a 5.0" barrel it is 4.6". The G-29 has a 3.78", directly comparable to the XDM10 Compact 3.8" XDM10's come in 4.5 and 5.25" versions too, while Glock has the G-40 with a 6" barrel.
Huh? Did you quote the wrong post? He's comparing bullet velocities for various rounds and barrel lengths.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I will never understand magnum / high powered rounds out of short barrels. A snub nose 5 shot revolver in 357mag shooting full load 357mag rounds make no sense.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Huh? Did you quote the wrong post? He's comparing bullet velocities for various rounds and barrel lengths.
@Luckyshot is correct. Since Glock offers both standard and long slide full-size pistols, I just used 5" as a benchmark to make life easier (plus it's comparable to some of the 10mm 1911's now available).

My apologies for the laziness. Please see updated, more complete comparison list.

Summary:
10mm in ~3.78/3.8 inch barrel: ~ average of 520 ft-lbf. (G-29 and XDM-10 Elite 3.8c)
10mm in ~4.5/4.6 inch barrel: ~ average of 560ft-lbf. (G-20 and XDM-10 4.5)
10mm in 5 inch barrel: ~ average of 590 ft-lbf. (SA Ronin 1911 10mm)
10mm in ~5.25/5.3 inch barrel: ~ average of 600 ft-lbf. (XDM-10 4.5 OSP and XDM-10 5.25 Competition)
10mm in 6 inch barrel: ~ average of 620 ft-lbf. (G-40)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Mine arrived on Wednesday. The grip out of the box allows for a three finger grip, so I'm going to get the longer magazine with the sleeve (like I did with my M&P Shield) and I should be good to go. I also need to pick out my optic.

I've always wanted a 10mm, and this is a nice add to my collection.

Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Composite material

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
I’m jealous. Mined me asking how much it cost ya? Just curious🙂

·
Registered
541 Posts
Mine arrived on Wednesday. The grip out of the box allows for a three finger grip, so I'm going to get the longer magazine with the sleeve (like I did with my M&P Shield) and I should be good to go. I also need to pick out my optic.

View attachment 847334
That thing is beautiful. Man with some full load ammo I bet that thing is a beast.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts

View attachment 847334
Congrats! I can't find one around here but I'm going to wait I could get the G29 for a good price but this look like a game changer. So what kind of holster are you going to carry your 10mm and are you going IWB or OWB?

21 - 40 of 47 Posts