Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Considering adding a revolver to the stable. I want to make it a 357 so I can pratice with 38 or 38+P most of the time. Looking at 3" barrel most likely that way it can also be a carry piece if I choose. Anyone have more experience with revolvers than I do? You opinion would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
5,363 Posts
My view is that the S&W has a much smoother trigger than the Ruger. I to would get the 357 as well. Smith makes a great gun....

·
Premium Member
4,402 Posts
I prefer S&W revolver of Ruger's, not there is anything wrong with Ruger I just don't like how they feel in my hand and as mbpe mentioned, Smith's have a smooter action. You can never go wrong with a Smith. What has gained my interest in Ruger is the .327 magnum....feels like your shooting a .38 but you're getting near the performance of a .357.

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
I own revolvers from each manufacture and I enjoy them both. The Ruger can be smoothed out to feel incredible but the Smith does come feeling a bit smoother from the factory.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
I actually prefer Ruger over S&W. Rugers are built like tanks and I like the way they look and feel better as well. Not to mention they cost less. The S&W do have smoother triggers though. The only thing I can recommend is to try both and see what you think.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have both. My Smith & Wesson is nice, but my Ruger GP100 5" is (in my opinion) a much better gun. More robust, Shoots tighter groups always. I have more than 6k rounds thru it. I changed action springs a few years ago and that really helped. It is now very smooth and predictable.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cost is a definate factor, but I was actually thinking of used FTF sale rather than factory new. I have seen S&W 60 and the like in good shape for $350-400 on gunbroker. I was contemplating the 327 Ruger but it's brand new and don't want to get stuck not being able to get ammo if the platform falls through. THe big question is with a 3" barrel the 357 is going to kick like a mule and is there a big bennefit in a short barrel over 38?

·
Registered
168 Posts
My wife and I both have 3" Ruger SP101 .357s, but do our practicing with .38 for ease on the pocket book and recoil/muzzle flash. The SP101 has a great factory grip and handles well. Hers came used-mint, but clearly enough use to have the trigger smoothed out compared to mine brand-new.

I like the GP100s, just a big handful. The SP101 is sized right from CCW if needed and is still a robust tool.

·
Premium Member
2,497 Posts
another vote for Ruger, the SP101 is the right combination of size and heft for a concealable revolver. And the GP100 is my favorite revolver of all time, if I could only own one, it would be the GP 100. Dont get me wrong, I still like a SW 686 but...

·
Registered
161 Posts
another vote for Ruger, the SP101 is the right combination of size and heft for a concealable revolver. And the GP100 is my favorite revolver of all time, if I could only own one, it would be the GP 100. Dont get me wrong, I still like a SW 686 but...
i would love a s&w but i didn't have the money to buy one. i bought a ruger sp101 and have never regretted it. it is indestructible and was much cheaper.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I've had my S&W 686 4" for about 20years and only work needed was a trigger job (not needed, but I wanted a really smooth trigger) and a S&W rep at the National Police shooting championship filed down the forcing cone just a bit because the cylinder was binding a bit on one part when I did a lot of firing with lead wadcutters and SWC during qualification drills. The reliability is great after that, but the ultimate accuracy decreased a little bit.

I've shot the Rugers only briefly, but understand that they are very sturdy guns. I have a Taurus 4" tracker .357 with the ported bbl, but don't like it nearly as much as my 686; it's just not the same level of quality, but is still a serviceable weapon and a bit less expensive.

Alchemist77

·
Banned
38,920 Posts
Smiths are prettier, Rugers are tougher ... Both can be made to function better than either when compared to out of the box, and neither cost that much to improve the trigger feel.

If you ever decide to reload ... Get the Ruger.
If you want to shoot the really hot loads that are available ... Get the Ruger.
If you want to save money ... Get the Ruger.

I've got a few of each, and have had every Smith worked on to fix the timing after I shot it out of alignment with hot loaded 158 grain stuff.

The Rugers are still going strong and are the tank of the revolver world. I've never had a problem with them.

OK Smithy fans ... Flame away:mrgreen:

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Smiths are prettier, Rugers are tougher ... Both can be made to function better than either when compared to out of the box, and neither cost that much to improve the trigger feel.

If you ever decide to reload ... Get the Ruger.
If you want to shoot the really hot loads that are available ... Get the Ruger.
If you want to save money ... Get the Ruger.

I've got a few of each, and have had every Smith worked on to fix the timing after I shot it out of alignment with hot loaded 158 grain stuff.

The Rugers are still going strong and are the tank of the revolver world. I've never had a problem with them.

OK Smithy fans ... Flame away:mrgreen:
If you want to reload and shoot the really, really hot .357 magnum rounds, get a T/C contender in .357 Maximum!

I've owned my 686 for over 20 years. It is a great gun. I always admired the GP-100 for strength but never got one, I didn't need it. It would still be nice to get one and get the trigger smoothed out. I never liked the stock GP-100 trigger.

If you get either one you'll be okay. If I were getting one used I would go for the GP100, they are so tough. But if I wanted an easy carry gun and target gun - though NOT for massive magnum crazy reloads - I would look for a K-frame like a model 19. That was a great carry gun in a 4" bbl. That was back when you actually put the gun in your waist behind your hip - before all the expensive holsters for that same purpose.

Chapie+

·
Premium Member
7,466 Posts

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks guys I was leaning toward RUger...Buck those were great threads! Probably 3" if not 4" barrel since I also want it for hunting/hiking backup.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Thanks guys I was leaning toward RUger...Buck those were great threads! Probably 3" if not 4" barrel since I also want it for hunting/hiking backup.
There are a couple of ways you can go.

Short barrel like the S&W 642 will conceal easily in a pocket.

Long(er) barrel like the GP100 4" will conceal easily in an inside the waistband holster or on an outside the waistband holster.

A 3" bbl won't hide easily in a pocket and won't hide any easier in an inside the waistband holster or outside the waist holster than a 4" bbl.

Chapie+

·
Banned
38,920 Posts
I'd go with the 4" barrel if that is the primary purpose of the gun.
Heck, you might even consider the 6" if you plan to do much hunting.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
GP 100 or 101 jumps to the front of the line...4" barrel is what I was leaning toward...OWB when hunting/hikeing...Pistol hunting is something else to consider, I need to check into, for that it would be 6" barrel and torn between 357 and 44...Marlin 336 in 357 and Ruger GP 100 sounds like a nice combo...1 ammo:p

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
I dont know about your state but 5" is minimum length for any handgun hunting barrel. To me, anything over 4" isnt much fun to carry for hiking.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
OH also, I wasn't thinking of using it for hunting, just as a carry piece while hunting/hiking except bow hunting in KY of course. Hunting I would look at a Redhawk 6" min.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts