Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
29,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In all the hoopla over the G44, this little gem got lost in the background...

Shield 9EZ.

https://www.smith-wesson.com/9ez

I’ve shot the EZ380’s, and, flat out—for someone with limited hand strength and/or problems handling recoil, it may very well be the best option out there in a common caliber.

Up it to 9mm? I’m interested to see how the recoil is, but...these seem to be a bit bigger than your regular Shield (closer to the 4” models out there)...this could be a winner, too.

Put out a ported Performance Center Model? Yes, please!

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
Dammit....My wife bought the 380 ez and it's been awesome..I can see this one next..I like it...

·
Registered
18,643 Posts
Saw that, can't say it's an option I'd choose but I can see the value of it.

I've seen numerous EZ 380's at the range, I think S&W is selling a boatload.

Reactions: zee and JMag

·
Registered
910 Posts
.380 EZ is their biggest seller right now. Plenty of people on the M&P forums complain about stovepiping, ejecting the last round (live) and FTF. I bought my elderly father one about 6 months ago. So far around 1500 rounds through it with zero problems.

I think this 9mm will sell. In fact my dad would have went for that one if it would have been available at the time. I think a lot of people who have the .380 version may opt for the new 9mm version. A lot of people don't trust .380. Personally I put it in the same category as 9mm and I prefer to carry a .45, but that's just me. Another reason to switch is that for some completely retarded reason .380 ammo is considerably more expensive than 9mm.

·
Premium Member
653 Posts
Daughter-in-Law has a 380 and her whole family has shot it and all love it, never a problem. I bought one last year. yet to be delivered, but that's between me and the FFL, who has a host of medical issues.

·
Registered
19,923 Posts
I've been on the fence about getting my mom an EZ .380. This might be even better as I don't own any .380 and a 124gr HST pill beats the pants off anything in that caliber anyway.

·
Registered
910 Posts
I've been on the fence about getting my mom an EZ .380. This might be even better as I don't own any .380 and a 124gr HST pill beats the pants off anything in that caliber anyway.
Not to mention that .380 ammo is more expensive than 9mm for some ridiculous reason.

·
Premium Member
653 Posts
I do not agree, the gun is not for YOU, it is for her she will like the lowered recoil using 380 over 9 in the same weight pistol. You can use Underwood +P and still get lower recoil. I the gun is for you, then 9 would be a better option.

Never a fan of a MAN interjecting his preferences and foisting them on a lady. Kind of like buying her you favorite football Jersey I surprise surprise your size that means you are buying for you.

If you are buying boutique ammunition like Underwood then the price difference is small. Even is you do buy mainstream from a local source, you are not buying a range gun where the quantity will make a big difference.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Aaargh! I just got the wife the .380 Shield EZ a few months ago. It's a great gun for her, and may work as a CC for me. I do enjoy shooting it despite the smallish grip.

Now they come out with this.

I'm picking up an M&P 9 M2.0 this morning at the LGS. We just had the "not planning on buying more guns" typical husband/wife chat as I was purchasing it at $80 off.

I guess I'll have to ask to see this new EZ now while I'm there..... and then wait for the next discount.

Anyway, I appreciate the heads-up.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I am sure it is a nice pistol, but why on earth did S&W have to put that hideous grip safety on the pistol?

·
Registered
910 Posts
I am sure it is a nice pistol, but why on earth did S&W have to put that hideous grip safety on the pistol?

I'm not a fan of it either. It doesn't bother my old man though and I'd sure like to see them cut one of these 9s for optics so I could buy it for him.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I'm not a fan of it either. It doesn't bother my old man though and I'd sure like to see them cut one of these 9s for optics so I could buy it for him.
I can take or leave grip safeties, but IMO they have no place on a CCW gun. I'm sure the 1911 lovers of the world will scream loudly.

With this being said, the 1911 and Springfield XD both have grip safeties and they are not hugely hideous.

·
Registered
29,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The grip safety on these reminds me of the Colt 1903 & 1908 safeties...ain’t never heard anyone call them hideous...

·
Registered
910 Posts
I can take or leave grip safeties, but IMO they have no place on a CCW gun. I'm sure the 1911 lovers of the world will scream loudly.

With this being said, the 1911 and Springfield XD both have grip safeties and they are not hugely hideous.

I personally prefer no safeties on a carry pistol. Still, I suppose the thing is going to work as long as you're holding the gun so it's probably a non issue. Lots of people carry who probably have no business carrying. I think some sort of safety is good for those people.

·
Registered
39 Posts
My LGS had the 9 EZ in stock today. Very nice trigger. I noticed the grip safety is not like a Springfield grip safety. The Springfield grip safety depresses without any resistance. When the EZ grip safety is depressed you can feel something working. You can see a few parts moving between the slide and frame. I’m not sure about the mags. Seems like lent could easily build up in the cut out. I wish I had asked them if standard shield mags fit.

·
Registered
4,684 Posts
Just saw this thread, and appreciate the chance to hear some thoughts on it. Going to bring my wife to check out the .380 EZ. As stated, the .380 ammo is more expensive and that sucks, but it's for her and if she will carry and shoot it, then it's better than nothing!

For the grip safety. Yeah... A bit ugly I guess, but between my two M's, and the 1911's that I have run, the grip safety has not ever caused a problem when on a firing line, for just target practice or in a higher stress training environment. IMO, out of all the options out there, the grip safety just seems to me to be about the best option for that extra layer of safety when carrying. To each their own I guess.

Reactions: MN_Drew
1 - 18 of 18 Posts