Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just put some money down for a S&W model 60 .357 magnum revolver with a 2 " barrel. I'm thinking of changing to a model 649 since it has a shrowded hammer, I figure this will prevent it from snagging in a purse or pocket.

Comments?

·
Banned
38,920 Posts
If you're going to carry it in a purse or pocket ... Yes, switch, or even go hammerless.

Less stuff getting caught, is better.

Also,
Welcome to the forums.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the welcome. I thought the shrowded was better since it still goes single action if I want. Also, the steal body at 22 oz, or aluminum at 13.5? Will the aluminum body have a lot more kick?

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
thanks for the welcome. I thought the shrowded was better since it still goes single action if I want. Also, the steal body at 22 oz, or aluminum at 13.5? Will the aluminum body have a lot more kick?
Welcome to XD Talk!

Yes the aluminum will kick more and the steel will kick less. However, the aluminum is easier to carry and therefore more likely to be with you when you need / want it. The steel might not due to the weight, especially in a pocket.

I carry a S&W 642 in a pocket holster every day. It is a .38 special (you can fire both a .38 special and a .357 magnum in the larger .357 magnum revolvers). You can only fire .38 specials in the slightly smaller .38 special revolvers. I apologize if you already know this, not everyone does.

I find the 642 to be a perfect concealed carry gun / BUG (Back up gun) to my primary duty weapon.

Whichever gun you get go with a Mikah pocket holster - they make great ones for less than $20 a piece.

Chapie+

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, I put money down on the model 60, which is a J frame heavy and it takes the 357 as well.

It's not a BUG, it's a primary weapon for my wife.

I'm thinking the 649, because though it is heavy, it will absorb more kick.

What do you think?:confused:

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Thanks, I put money down on the model 60, which is a J frame heavy and it takes the 357 as well.

It's not a BUG, it's a primary weapon for my wife.

I'm thinking the 649, because though it is heavy, it will absorb more kick.

What do you think?:confused:
The 649 is a great gun. It is a little heavier and it will therefore absorb more kick. A good set of grips will also do wonders for absorbing recoil. I put a set of CTs (Crimson Trace) laser grips on mine. They have a high intimidation value (the red dot gets your attention) and have a pocket to absorb some of the recoil. You'll like the 649. I would take it over the 60 to be easier to pull out of a pocket or purse. The 640 hammerless is simlar that way - easy to draw. You cannot pull the hammer back on a 640, but you can't with the 642 that I carry either. If possible pick them both up / handle them and see what you and your wife like best. It would be best to get her take on it if you are getting it for her defence.

Check out Smith and Wesson's website for the j-frames for differences in the models. Stick with a .38/.357 magnum.

Home Page - Smith & Wesson

Chapie+

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
the grips make all the difference in the kick of the gun...I've got a 442 with wood grips that isn't fun to shoot .38spl out of (usually put 20-25 rds down range every trip and thats it), but my bro has the rubber overmold crimson trace grips on his 642 (the same revolver as mine but a stainless version instead of blued) and his I can shoot all day. Those rubber overmold grips really abosorb a lot of recoil.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Guys,

I appreciate your feedback. I think I will change my order from the 60 to the 649. It does have rubber and I will save up for laser sights. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
I would recomend that you have your wife shoot it before you buy. Short barreled 357's can be difficult for those with weak hand strength to control. She will probably prefer the aluminum frame because it's so light and that can be a big mistake. So make sure that she understands why a heavier pistol is a lot easier to shoot. You may also want to consider not loading it with 357 magnum rounds. A lot of people sneer at the 38 SPL but it's plenty powerful enough as long as you don't miss. Simple fact is that you want to get her a gun she will enjoy shooting, that way she will actually practice and learn how to shoot it well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts