Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
5,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I've owned a S&W Model 422 .22 pistol for quite some time, about 18 years. It's the 6", adjustable sight, target version.

If you have never shot one of these, they are really a nice gun and the ideal first gun for anyone (kid, adult). Yet you'll never outgrow it unless you want to shoot competition bullseye in which case the trigger and barrel weight aren't quite good enough for that. For anything else, it's perfect. This gun is not only accurate but literally never jams, even when I ran it dirty and dry. I recall it jamming once when it was new, then never again. It's not ammo-picky either, but it shoots most accurately with CCI Standard Velocity LR.

Out of manufacture for the past 10 years or so, they also made the 622 in stainless and they made a field version with a 4-1/2" barrel and fixed sights.

My stepson and his wife liked mine so much I found used one in cherry shape at the gunstore and got it for them. "Cherry" meaning in the original box with all original accessories unused. It looks like it's had maybe 500 rounds max through it, showing virtually zero wear even on the magazines where the bluing wears off in a spot after not very much use.

Paid $249, gave it to them last night, they are all jazzed up.
These sell for $350 on Gunbroker which is too high.

Personally I like them much better than the Ruger Mark II series.
So, if you see one used in good shape, give some thought to buying it for a newbie shooter or even yourself for cheap plinking.

I think the field version would be an ideal fishing gun.
These have a steel slide and barrel inserted into an aluminum alloy frame.
Mine has more than 10,000 rounds through it and shoots like it was new.

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
So, I've owned a S&W Model 422 .22 pistol for quite some time, about 18 years. It's the 6", adjustable sight, target version.

If you have never shot one of these, they are really a nice gun and the ideal first gun for anyone (kid, adult). Yet you'll never outgrow it unless you want to shoot competition bullseye in which case the trigger and barrel weight aren't quite good enough for that. For anything else, it's perfect. This gun is not only accurate but literally never jams, even when I ran it dirty and dry. I recall it jamming once when it was new, then never again. It's not ammo-picky either, but it shoots most accurately with CCI Standard Velocity LR.

Out of manufacture for the past 10 years or so, they also made the 622 in stainless and they made a field version with a 4-1/2" barrel and fixed sights.

My stepson and his wife liked mine so much I found used one in cherry shape at the gunstore and got it for them. "Cherry" meaning in the original box with all original accessories unused. It looks like it's had maybe 500 rounds max through it, showing virtually zero wear even on the magazines where the bluing wears off in a spot after not very much use.

Paid $249, gave it to them last night, they are all jazzed up.
These sell for $350 on Gunbroker which is too high.

Personally I like them much better than the Ruger Mark II series.
So, if you see one used in good shape, give some thought to buying it for a newbie shooter or even yourself for cheap plinking.

I think the field version would be an ideal fishing gun.
These have a steel slide and barrel inserted into an aluminum alloy frame.
Mine has more than 10,000 rounds through it and shoots like it was new.
That is one of the best .22 pistols ever made, I also had the 422 with the adjustable sights and stupidly traded it accross the board for a Ruger Mk2 Govt model that would only rarely cycle through a full magazine without jamming. Mags are getting hard to find and expensive but they are a great gun.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I've had a 422 for at least 20 years and fired thousands of rounds through it. It is still more reliable and more accurate than ANY other .22 semi-auto I have used.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
The 422, 622, 2206 etc. pistols are some of the finest .22lr pistols ever made as far as I am concerned. I was privileged to pick up a 2206 Target about a month ago and have since put over 1000 rounds through it. I had been looking for a .22lr target pistol for a month or so and had basically resigned myself to ordering a Buckmark 5.5 Target, when I found a guy local to me that had the 2206 for sale. It appeared to be new in the box, but he offered it as like new in the box. It is a stainless target pistol with a 6" barrel, adjustable sights, wood grips all tools, manual and one mag. Also, as a surprise, the guy had a set of Nill Grips (match target type grips with an adjustable palm rest, thumb rest, etc.) that went with the pistol, but were not installed and appeared to have never been. Here is a couple pics I posted a while back:

I have fired Rugers, Brownings and Smith 41's and this is the finest .22 pistol I have laid my hands on.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
I had the 4" field model.

It was not very impressive in the accuracy department.

Everything I've read said the 6" models were much more accurate.

Buddy of mine is an NRA instructor picked up 6 of the 6" all Stainless Steel guns when smith dropped them from the line. He uses them as loaner guns in his classes.

No he won't sell one to me.

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
The 422, 622, 2206 etc. pistols are some of the finest .22lr pistols ever made as far as I am concerned. I was privileged to pick up a 2206 Target about a month ago and have since put over 1000 rounds through it. I had been looking for a .22lr target pistol for a month or so and had basically resigned myself to ordering a Buckmark 5.5 Target, when I found a guy local to me that had the 2206 for sale. It appeared to be new in the box, but he offered it as like new in the box. It is a stainless target pistol with a 6" barrel, adjustable sights, wood grips all tools, manual and one mag. Also, as a surprise, the guy had a set of Nill Grips (match target type grips with an adjustable palm rest, thumb rest, etc.) that went with the pistol, but were not installed and appeared to have never been. Here is a couple pics I posted a while back:

I have fired Rugers, Brownings and Smith 41's and this is the finest .22 pistol I have laid my hands on.
Now that is a beauty do the grips interfere with the magazine release as they look pretty wide.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Now that is a beauty do the grips interfere with the magazine release as they look pretty wide.
The grips do not interfere with the mag release at all.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I recently discovered these pistols. I am absolutely hooked, all of mine are 6", this is also a great host for a can with the tall slide.

I have completely disassembled them, a little judicious smoothing/buffing makes it an even better pistol.

·
Premium Member
1,858 Posts
I've decided to pass on my Marvel Unit 2 conversion and try out a 422. I'm picking up a 6" adjustable sight 422 on Monday.

·
Banned
5,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Be sure to post your impressions of it for us.

I stay OUT of my guns but would like to smooth up the trigger a little. After 5000 rounds it's probably broken in as much as it's gonna.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
+1. Let us know what you think of the 422. I have put a little over 1,200 rounds through my 2206 now and it is shooting like a dream. The trigger is a little heavier than I'd like for a target pistol and does have just a hair of creep to it, but by no means is it a bad trigger. I am going to shoot it for a while and then, like Tard, I may at least polish my trigger up a little.

Congrats on your 422!!! You'll love it!!

·
Registered
512 Posts
I had a gorgeous 422 6" until recently (stupidly traded it) and it was truly a great gun. I took it out shooting one day and shot it to the point that it was just about too hot to touch and it was still putting everything right in the center. Great gun...keeping an eye out for another one!

·
Registered
5 Posts
That is one sharp looking pistol. I have a blued 422. I'm always on the search for grips. I did see the Nill grips but they're $200+. I like the sight setup!

·
Premium Member
669 Posts
I have had my 622 for well over ten years,
When I first bought it the magazine would fail to load the next round, after using it a bit it started working fine and has been flawless ever since.
It has had thousands of rounds through it, best pistol I have ever owned.
Mine has the fixed sights and I always wanted to try some aftermarket sights. Any suggestions?

J

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Mine has the fixed sights and I always wanted to try some aftermarket sights. Any suggestions?
Millett. S&W's factory adjustable sights for the 422/622/2206 were straight from Millett. To my knowledge, Millett still makes these sights and they should be a direct replacement.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts