Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, new to this forum and new to S&W revolvers, anyway I found an old S&W Model 36 in the attic with a couple of ammos in the box...It has not been used for a long time and I wanted to see if it still functional...I went out and fired a couple and it misfired...I tried the whole ammo and all of them misfired as well...I pointed the gun down for safety issue just incase it was a delay but when I checked the ammos themselves I can see a pin mark just below the actual mark....so I guess my question is after checking the revolver carefully the hammer mounted pins slightly lower when aligned with the cylinder...

Is the a way I could myself adjust the hammer mounted firing pin or the cylinder itself....like I said I'm new to this and would like a professionals opinion on how to handle this situation....thanks in advance

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
You better take the gun to a gunsmith for repair. "Do Not" attempt to do it yourself. Take all ammos out of the gun and put into a safe place.:D

·
Registered
29,742 Posts
Or just really old ammo, that's been stored in an unstable climate...likely in an attic.

Try this.

With the pistol unloaded, cock the hammer and drop a pencil, eraser side down, down the barrel. Point straight up and pull the trigger.

The pencil should jump at least a foot out of the barrel.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Or just really old ammo, that's been stored in an unstable climate...likely in an attic.

Try this.

With the pistol unloaded, cock the hammer and drop a pencil, eraser side down, down the barrel. Point straight up and pull the trigger.

The pencil should jump at least a foot out of the barrel.
Wow, the pencil did not jump a foot not even an inch...

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
Just a quick question. Did you clean it?

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
I wonder if the action is gummed up with old oil, making the hammer sluggish. I would get a can of carb cleaner and flush the lockwork out and then spray a silicone oil into it. Report back if that helps at all. Your firing pin is not broken is it?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts