Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have an opportunity to trade my M&P9 for an SKS. I'm naive on SKS, so don't know if it's a good deal. They seem to be going in the $300-$400 range. This guy is thinking $500 trade value.
Bipod, flash hider, 3 Tapco mags, Tapco stock,
shaved bolt

"I miss America"

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
If you have more use for the SKS and don't really use the mp9 it sounds like a no brainier. But by the look of the hollow points in the 9mm it's used for something so it's a toss up. Seems fair to me though

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
Last 2 SKS' I bought were both around $275 each out the door tax and all.

With that said, the stock is about another $80 or so, maybe $20 for the bipod, the mags are about $17 each, and I don't know how much those slip on brakes are going for lately, but they're junk.

Typically, to make a gun look like that though, they'd also have to replace internal parts to remain in compliance with 922 also. Some replace the gas piston/op rod, but it should be marked with made in the USA on it somewhere. If not, and it doesn't have enough US made parts, then it's not in compliance with the law.

Here is a good link for 922 parts count.

BuildSKSVerifyCompliance Gunwiki TWiki

·
Registered
29,831 Posts
No way I'd make that trade.

Sell the M&P for $400, and find an SKS for under $300.

And I wouldn't gamble that someone took the time to make it 922r compliant; I've mentioned that to folks who have done similar work to their SKS that I've seen at the range--they have no idea what I was talking about...

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
If you want an SKS get one in the original config.
When it comes to SKS's They function best the way they came out the factory door. Just my opinion!

No way that's a 500 dollar rifle.

·
Registered
10,949 Posts
No way I'd make that trade.

Sell the M&P for $400, and find an SKS for under $300.

And I wouldn't gamble that someone took the time to make it 922r compliant; I've mentioned that to folks who have done similar work to their SKS that I've seen at the range--they have no idea what I was talking about...
I was foolishly not aware that it was not legal to modify your own freaking gun.

And people get all worked up when I say **** the ATF and **** the federal government.

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
Yep...I'd sell the M&P for about 400 then go buy one of the Chinese military SKSs being sold by certain surplus dealers in the 325-350 range.

With the SKS,...the less aftermarket crap you put on it...the better it will run. The Chinese military SKSs are quality guns built like the Russian SKS - milled receivers, threaded barrels and they are fine shooters as they are stock.

That is what I would do if you really want an SKS. Sell the M&P for 400 then but the Chinese SKS and a case of 7.62x39 and go shoot happy.

I own a 1963 Chinese SKS and it shoots as good or better than my nearly new 1952 Russian SKS or my lightly used 1958 Romanian SKS. They're good rifles although they might show some exterior wear.

In its original military configuration, the SKS is a handy, reliable and fairly accurate rifle that will give you little trouble and is big fun to shoot. They are also easy to clean and work on.

-brickboy240

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
The factory original norinco's are very good guns.

While they are "cheap" (to buy), they are quality guns. The only reason you can pick one up for the low prices are because when the Chinese (and Yugoslavian, etc) Armies adopted other long guns, there were literally millions of them that hit the market throughout the world.

Back 25 years or so ago, there were so many, I can remember that you couldn't hardly go to a gun show and not see a dozen of them laying everywhere with price tags for under $100 a piece. But after the Chinese sanctions (err...Import Ban), prices for them have been steadily rising.

Personally, I believe the Norinco and Russian SKS to be the best quality out there. They have chrome lined bores, milled receivers, great bolts and parts, etc.

I have owned several SKS over the years. From all original factory configuration

Bubba'd

To heavily modified, but at heart is still a work horse.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Pass. That plastic on it does not add any value. Poor sks. Unless, If it is a model m or d(which ever one takes ak mags) then i would do the trade just to save it. You can always get another pistol.

Sent from Motorola Razr

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
True. And an SKS original stock can be had from GB or other sources pretty cheap.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
The factory original norinco's are very good guns.

While they are "cheap" (to buy), they are quality guns. The only reason you can pick one up for the low prices are because when the Chinese (and Yugoslavian, etc) Armies adopted other long guns, there were literally millions of them that hit the market throughout the world.

Back 25 years or so ago, there were so many, I can remember that you couldn't hardly go to a gun show and not see a dozen of them laying everywhere with price tags for under $100 a piece. But after the Chinese sanctions (err...Import Ban), prices for them have been steadily rising.

Personally, I believe the Norinco and Russian SKS to be the best quality out there. They have chrome lined bores, milled receivers, great bolts and parts, etc.

I have owned several SKS over the years. From all original factory configuration

Bubba'd

To heavily modified, but at heart is still a work horse.

whatis the brand bullpup stock? Also norinco's are awesome my dad gave my lil brother his norinco sks and gave me his mak90. Both are super sweet rifles

·
Registered
5,759 Posts

·
Registered
17,777 Posts
Yep...I'd sell the M&P for about 400 then go buy one of the Chinese military SKSs being sold by certain surplus dealers in the 325-350 range.

With the SKS,...the less aftermarket crap you put on it...the better it will run. The Chinese military SKSs are quality guns built like the Russian SKS - milled receivers, threaded barrels and they are fine shooters as they are stock.

That is what I would do if you really want an SKS. Sell the M&P for 400 then but the Chinese SKS and a case of 7.62x39 and go shoot happy.

I own a 1963 Chinese SKS and it shoots as good or better than my nearly new 1952 Russian SKS or my lightly used 1958 Romanian SKS. They're good rifles although they might show some exterior wear.

In its original military configuration, the SKS is a handy, reliable and fairly accurate rifle that will give you little trouble and is big fun to shoot. They are also easy to clean and work on.

-brickboy240
ding ding ding

I got my Norinko SKS for $90 (did some computer work for a guy, he gave me his pawn slip for the rifle, $90 to get it out of hock)
I tried all the stupid duckbill 30 round mags, this and that's...ended up going back to the stock 10 round mags and 10 round stripper clips, and a simple black Monte Carlo stock...thing shoots like a champ. I did have to go in and polish and deburr the firing pin because I was getting double tap slam fires occasionally and got some odd looks at the range.

Going rate for a SKS is $250-$350

1 - 16 of 16 Posts