Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I might be in the market for an M&P compact. Anyone have one? What are your thoughts?

Also, my friend bought an M&P around the time they came out and had problems with his striker breaking and his magazine fell out one time while firing at the range. :-|

I read somewhere they fixed these issues on the "new" M&P's, however, what do I look for in a "new" one?

Yeah, I know, S&W lifetime warranty but I would rather not send it off unless I HAVE to.

Any info. is appreciated.

·
Registered
937 Posts
I think its a great piece, my buddy just got a .40 and it is very nice points well fits great in the hand and its a great deal right now with the rebates S&W is offering. I would say that the ergo's on it are better than my XD. Oh and I like the trigger a lot too.

·
Premium Member
3,448 Posts

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
I have seen too many issues with M&Ps. If you want a plastic striker fired pistol, Glock still reigns supreme. If you are like me and don't care for the Glock, the XD is a good second choice. Next up is a Walther P99,. Steyrs are pretty good guns, but they have no support. Another thing to keep in mind about S&W semis is the fact that they seem to come out with a new latest and greatest pistol every few yrs and they (and accessory manufacturers) forget about the older designs.

ranburr

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
I've run a few thousand rounds through my "new" M&P without issue. I waited to buy one until they worked out the kinks and I really love the gun. I'm thinking of buying a 9L and a 9C B.O. (Before Obama).

I hate to admit it (here), but I like the M&P better than my XD. :shock:

·
Premium Member
9,099 Posts
Hello everyone,

I might be in the market for an M&P compact. Anyone have one? What are your thoughts?

Also, my friend bought an M&P around the time they came out and had problems with his striker breaking and his magazine fell out one time while firing at the range. :-|

I read somewhere they fixed these issues on the "new" M&P's, however, what do I look for in a "new" one?

Yeah, I know, S&W lifetime warranty but I would rather not send it off unless I HAVE to.

Any info. is appreciated.
Make sure your pistol is an '08. Check the date on the envelope the spent casing comes in. My full size I have on lay-away is 4/08. The '08's should be trouble free.

·
Premium Member
9,099 Posts
I have seen too many issues with M&Ps. If you want a plastic striker fired pistol, Glock still reigns supreme. If you are like me and don't care for the Glock, the XD is a good second choice. Next up is a Walther P99,. Steyrs are pretty good guns, but they have no support. Another thing to keep in mind about S&W semis is the fact that they seem to come out with a new latest and greatest pistol every few yrs and they (and accessory manufacturers) forget about the older designs.

ranburr
Most new pistols have issues. Think recently to the Ruger SR9 and LCP.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I actually just recently bought a m&p compact in 9mm. As some people have already said, try to get one made in 08 (shouldnt be hard if your buying new from a good dealer). Mine was made in July.

I cant say how it will last in the long run, as I've only had it a few days and have only put 100 rounds through it. But it did function flawlessly, and was surprisingly accurate for a compact.

I like the ergonomics on it, you can change the backstraps on it (similar to the xdm) and that really helps to get a good fit for your hand. It points every bit as naturally as my xd, so that is another plus.

Then theres the trigger. Its heavier than my xd, I would say my xd is close 5 or 6, where the m&p is probably closer to 8lbs. But, it is much "crisper", it has a shorter travel, and has a shorter reset. So its kinda give and take in that sense.

Overall, I like it very much, and the rebate/ 2 free mags is a good deal (although it looks like springfield is running a special pretty similar to that also). I was torn between the m&p and an xd9 sc, and even though I'll still probably get a sc someday, I'm completely happy with my smith and wouldnt change it if I had another chance.

The only issue I can think of is that holsters are much harder to find.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
I was ready to buy a full size M&P 45 until I read in depth about the M&P . I studies them for about a month and even read up on the M&P forum . A lot of people were having rust issues with the M&P's .
They have stainless steel slides and use the Melonite treatment and if not done exactly right , the stainless steel gets really prone to rust , even more prone to it than it was before the treatment . I may not be exact on my wording but the stainless steel that S&W uses on the M&P slides has a negative effect on the Melonite treatment if not done correctly, and carbon steel like the XD's and Glocks are a lot better and take the Melonite treatment correctly with no ill effects .
Supposedly a bad batch of M&P's got sold that were not properly treated and they rusted bad .

·
Registered
8,632 Posts
I've got an '07 and have over 1500 rounds through it without a hiccup. Its by far my favorite pistol. Never had an issue with it. Only work done was a trigger job.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Any idea what batch? I just bought one dated 9-08-08
No I dont know , but over at the M&P forum there is a bunch of talk on it . I'll try to find you the website .

1 - 14 of 14 Posts