Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought an S&W M&P Sport with a fixed front sight and would like to put a scope on it. What can i buy so the sight does not get in the way of the scope.

·
Registered
838 Posts

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Actually, at any magnification of about 3 or above, you wont even see the front site. It will just blur out. Just use a high set of rings so the scope is at least as high as the front sight post, so the front sight is not actually blocking the target. I've used a 3-9x scope successfully. While not ideal, it is do-able.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Actually, at any magnification of about 3 or above, you wont even see the front site. It will just blur out. Just use a high set of rings so the scope is at least as high as the front sight post, so the front sight is not actually blocking the target. I've used a 3-9x scope successfully. While not ideal, it is do-able.
True but with the length of higher powered scopes he may not get enough eye relief for a good cheek weld. Most higher powered scopes are really best used with gas blocks and buis, if any front sight. Maybe I misinterpreted his question but I think he meant interference with the length of the scope by the fixed FS.

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
^^^ This...I put a Bushnell scope (3-12x) on my M&P and just put a taller set of rings and don't even see the FSP...:)

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
I have scopes (a few red dots) and BUIS on all my AR15's.

You won't see the front sight post with a scope on 4X.

I also set mine up so the cheek weld is the same. The scope mount/scope must allow me to put my nose on the charging handle, just like when shooting iron sights. Consistency is important if you want to maintain group size and group placement on the target.

I also use rings/mounts with a quick detachable feature so that I can remove the scope/optic and quickly use the BUIS. No use having BUIS if you can't use them due to the placement/features of the optic.

You can set up your optic (especially with a red dot) to allow you to "sight through" the optic. Just be sure to test it at the range and practice that way. I have one scope that has something screwy about it. With my Bushnell 1X4 scopes I can turn it down to 1X, flip up the BUIS and aim through the scope. With my Primary Arms 1X6 that doesn't work. Even at 25 yds. the POI is about 8 to 10" high and left of POA if trying to aim through the scope. That's on my GII .308, not a standard AR15 in ;223 but I bet there wouldn't be much difference. There's just something "not quite right" about the PA scope.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
forgot I couldn't edit posts so I'll add these pictures here.

AR15 with an aimpoint and magpul back up sights. I can flip the sights up and sight right through the aimpoint. No issues.

This one has a SUIT on it. Just flip the lever and lift the optic off the rail and the BUIS can be flipped up and used.

·
Registered
9,730 Posts
Seven year necro thread.

Respectable, but hardly a record breaker.

·
Registered
9,583 Posts
Nikon has since (this thread was new) released the P-223 series. About 1/2 the cost of the M-series mentioned earlier but still a respectable piece.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I recommend doing what my sister did. On the upper with a fixed front sight, put on a red dot and a BUIS rear. Buy another upper with a free float rail, and put a scope on that, along with a bipod. Swap uppers depending on what you want to do.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts