Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any personal experiences with the M&P series pistol?

Just came across a great deal on a Compact .40 and have been looking to buy a new style compact. Read tons of reviews in mags and online but hopefully someone can lend me a "the good/the bad" first hand word.

Here's a pic. Its a pretty [email protected] good looking pistol!
This is the M&P9. The .40 is the same.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well I went with it.. And in 9mm too.. Ammo prices are much nicer in the 9mm range!! Took it out to the range on the first day and this pistol is AWESOME. Put about 100 rounds through it and its flawless. Love the grip and the groups arent bad at 7-10 yrds. Some range pics maybe soon..

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
Do you like the way it feels in your hand? I am looking at a 9mm and the Sub compact version, even with the grip extender, is right at the edge of my pinky finger. I don't like that. The SC XD with pierce grip is much better. That being said, my brother has the service size and I love that gun.

·
Registered
599 Posts
I rented a HK p2000 SK .40, a walther P99C .40, and a M&P .40c......I like the M&P it is thin, compact but not too compact like the others, excellent grip and good feel on your hands....the recoil is not bad at all, on my first shoot a bullet straight to the head...the only thing that I did not like was the trigger...too hard to pull that sore my finger...other than that like it a lot. other thing that don´t like is the disasemble some comes with magazine safety..you have to take a stick a pull a lever inside the well looks tricky...I prefer easy way. A + don´t have to pull the trigger to release the slide...that´s good..

·
Registered
7,016 Posts
I rented a HK p2000 SK .40, a walther P99C .40, and a M&P .40c......I like the M&P it is thin, compact but not too compact like the others, excellent grip and good feel on your hands....the recoil is not bad at all, on my first shoot a bullet straight to the head...the only thing that I did not like was the trigger...too hard to pull that sore my finger...other than that like it a lot. other thing that don´t like is the disasemble some comes with magazine safety..you have to take a stick a pull a lever inside the well looks tricky...I prefer easy way. A + don´t have to pull the trigger to release the slide...that´s good..
Why can't you simply use your finger? With a Ruger P345, there is also a lever to push down, and all it takes is a finger to reach down there and do it. Just curious. I'm liking the M&P more and more lately.

·
Premium Member
9,099 Posts
$469 is about the local going rate. Gander wants 550 for my full size 9m. I'm going to make them price match it to a local competitor when I get it out.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I paid $525 for my M&P9C and I ain't even going to complain about that because it is such a good pistol in my book.I can compare cause I have a XD40SC and a Glock 19.I like them all but the M&P just does something for me.It seems easier to conceal and the fit in the hand is very good to me.It is slim and light and is accurate.The trigger,well,mine was a little rough on the pull at first but it does get better after you put some rounds through it.I like my trigger now and I have about 600 or better rounds through it and no malfunctions of any kind.I carry mine in an MTAC holster and it is a good combo.I too,have heard much about the trigger complaints concerning pistols of other manufactures as well.On the pistols I have,they all have improved.Lets face it,CCW are not target weapons and in a SD situation,the feel of the trigger will never enter your mind.BTW,mine does not have the magazine safety.

·
Registered
937 Posts
I think its a great gun, I love my XD but the grip on the M&P fits me a bit better. Ive shot my buddys .40 compact and I was shooting nice groups with it right away. Great gun!

·
Premium Member
1,815 Posts
So, what's a great deal? Saw one at a gun show for $475 today. Should I go buy it?
I bought a M & P 9c for 470.00 with 4 12 rd mags dont know if it was a great deal but I'm happy

1st order of business is to remove mag interlock
2nd fiber optic front sight

then I'm done

40-45

·
Registered
179 Posts
well, I have had my M&P9 full size for almost 3 years. and its been trusted companion of mine since day 1.

So naturally, I bought M&P9C as well to comproment my trusted friend...

Its nice little gun. fits my hand nice, easy shooting, and accurate.
I've tried XD9SC, and it just didn't fit me right.

Even "I don't wanna shoot nothing but my cute little P-22" fiance of mine loves this little bugger..

Trigger out of box is not as smooth as XD, although brake clean at 6.25lb.
tad bit on heavy side. But my M&P9 full size, after 6000rds or so is smoothed out, and its now 5.5lb, which is just about perfect IMO for carry gun.
Mine needed to smooth some spots on trigger bar with some 2000grid sandpaper. It was bit gritty.
It came with 2 mags. One with finger rest, and one without. one with no finger rest is just about useless.
I called S&W to order finger rest bottom plate, but they just send it out to me for free.

Overall, i love this little weapon. it has replaced all my other CCW(Sig, snubby, and XD), and I'd recommend them with confidence that you'll love this little bugger

·
Registered
374 Posts
Figured I'd jump in on this thread since I'm looking for a ccw and the M&P9 compact has caught my eye. Is the darn thing really just 4.3" tall? I'm assuming that's if you use the mag without the finger rest? Local dealer has em for $479 plus a $50 rebate.

I'm thinking the real small compacts (or subcompacts like the Kahr CW9 and Kel-Tec P11) are just going to be too small for me and a bit unreliable for my taste (I do have big mitts). The XD9SC is about half an inch taller (though it felt nice even when tucking my pinky) and the Glock 26 is getting too expensive for me ($550).

Also, how are you guys liking the M&P compacts for their concealability?

·
Premium Member
9,099 Posts
The M&P is a outstanding weapon. Just make sure you check the date on the spent casing envelope. Make sure you get an '08 model as it should have all of the updates.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts