Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The wife is looking for a carry gun.

We were at the gun store today and she had a feel of the S&W Bodyguard and really liked it.
The guy at the storesaid it's a good gun but needs a couple hundred rounds through it to kind of get run in.

Any other thoughts on this gun?

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Good piece, nice sights, laser is nice for an inexperienced shooter & for such a small pistol.
Wouldn't be my first choice, but all married men figure out that if the wife likes it, that is what she should learn to carry.
Just make sure she practices with the laser OFF for several trips to the range. After she gets used to the feel, recoil, & sights, then let her fall back on the laser training. Afterall, if something is going to break, it's most likely going to be the laser (batteries die, lose zero....etc,)
...)

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
Small guns appeal to women but small guns have more recoil than larger guns of the same caliber. Food for thought.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
She is used to using the XD9sc at the range currently but wants something smaller for a carry without going down to a .22

"We" have the XD9sc at the moment, so if "she" gets the S&W then "I" can get the nickle Rock Island 1911 ;)

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
9mm sc xd is a pretty heavy pistol some of those ultra light .380s will have more recoil than 9mm.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
My .380 LCP is easy on recoil. My Glock 19 w/ normal loads has more felt recoil than the LCP. I know that is just my experience, but I easily hit a paper plate at 7yards as fast as I can pull the trigger (w/Hornady Critical Defense ammo).
Very accurate, reliable, and low felt recoil for me (average size palms, 3" index finger).

·
Registered
160 Posts
I looked at the Bodyguard but went with the Ruger LCP. I would suggest shooting both and then deciding. Not sure about S&W but for the Ruger, Wolff springs makes extra power springs from 11# to 13# that will ease the extra recoil. Even though it is small, the .380's are not as bad on recoil as many talk about.

·
Registered
178 Posts
700 rounds on mine without any problems, P/U a EMP 9mm to carry but stays in my night table, the BG380 is going with me ALL the time. I don't use the laser, only to play with the cat:).
Real sights, safety, stay open after the last round.....great little gun!!
Love this gun

·
Registered
31,581 Posts
700 rounds on mine without any problems, P/U a EMP 9mm to carry but stays in my night table, the BG380 is going with me ALL the time. I don't use the laser, only to play with the cat:).
Real sights, safety, stay open after the last round.....great little gun!!
Love this gun
LOL, a friend of mine did the same thing with his Sig P238 right after he purchased it. He pulled it out of the case brand new, turned on the laser and his cat went crazy! Then the thought crossed our minds on how it was probably not a good thing to be doing (but funny).

OP, I would advise trying to get her to shoot the gun if possible. I agree though, once the Mrs makes up her mind, sometimes it is easier just to go with it.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Going to be selling my BG380. it shoots fine, very accurate out to 7 yards, but when my wife shoots it she ejects the mag on the 2nd shot. For me, the gun is very small in my hand and hard for me to grasp and be able to make the long trigger pull. (I have rather large hands. I could palm a basketball back in the day.)

·
Registered
725 Posts
I have a good bit of Fiocchi .380 mine won't eat. Fails to go into battery by 1-2mm. It eats other stuff, though, so I just have to be careful to keep the Fiocchi for my Sig. Anyone reckon it might settle in from that, or should I have the chamber worked on?

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
I bought my Bodyguard .380 at a gun show a month ago. I took it to the range and put 100 rounds through it and could of easily put a 100 more. The recoil on it is no where near what I was expecting...a lot better than the Kel-Tec .380's IMO. The iron sights are nice and can be used accurately but the fact that it has a built in laser is the major plus. I zeroed my laser in at 35 yards and it was spot on accurate. I had 3" groupings at 35 yards, which in my opinion is not bad considering the size of the pistol...

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
3" groups with a pocket pistol at 35 yards? Sure it wasn't feet?

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
3" groups with a pocket pistol at 35 yards? Sure it wasn't feet?
Yeah, I know most will find this hard to believe (heck, I found it hard to believe) but I honestly had 3" groupings at 35 yards, of course this was taking my time with each shot.

I did fire 3 quick shots and the grouping was more spread out but still within the silhouette.

I will have to take pics the next time I hit the range....It is a sweet pistol though!

·
Registered
151 Posts
I'm not going to lie, the bodyguard .380 looks sexy as hell imo

But I've seen a lot of reliability issues with them (online not in person)

I'm fairly sure they've probably all been addressed...

but the one thing that turns me off about it either way is...

the lazer....

don't get me wrong... lazer= fine/good idea

its engagement placement is just terrible imo tho..

lazer= quicker to get on target

impractical button placement= slower to get on target than with practical lazer engagement

so it's really neutral imo cause its not making you faster..and you better hope you can aim that lil thing at the short ranges its extremely useful at anyhow.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
OOPS! I re read my earlier post and I mentioned 3" groups at 35 yards....I can see why some of you thought that was an incredible feat...that would be at 35 yards, LOL. I should have said 35 feet. The range I go to has it marked off in feet and I had my target around the 30 to 35 "foot" mark, not 35 yards...UGH! Sorry about that :lol:

·
Registered
725 Posts
The laser placement is fine for me; my trigger finger lands right on it when extended, but that's just me. I still prefer the Crimson Trace on my PT709.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
I personally have no use for a laser on anything other than a boresighter. JMO

1 - 20 of 23 Posts