Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, shooting my dads new 642 today was a joke! I shot horrible. Maybe it being the first time I shot a revolver, or the trigger pull. I was pulling high and a bit to the right. I ran 200 rds through it and it was steadily getting better, but it's going to take some practice. Just thought I would throw that out there.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Yeah, snubbies are for close-in fighting. I carry one but wouldn't dream of drawing and firing on someone greater than 25ft away. Not that I should be anyway.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I recommend lots and lots of dry fire practice. You'll be able to learn how to stage the trigger, making it almost like aiming a single action revolver.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was at 7 yds which is one of the CC testing distances here in Texas. I wouldn't consider carrying it until I had it under control. I might pick up a bigger grip also.

·
Registered
375 Posts
practice, practice, practice, short barreled handguns are difficult to shoot but not impossible. 25' is about the limit for snubbies. Keep shooting and you'll get the hang of it.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Don't expect it to shoot point of aim unless you are using 38 sp., 158 gr, round nose ammo, thats what the factory has the gutter sights sighted for. Look for consistant groupings to master the feel of the trigger. A larger grip will help, but make it harder to conceal. I have CT laser grips on mine, sighted in with speer 135 grain +P loads as a way to use a different load.

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
Don't expect it to shoot point of aim unless you are using 38 sp., 158 gr, round nose ammo, thats what the factory has the gutter sights sighted for. Look for consistant groupings to master the feel of the trigger. A larger grip will help, but make it harder to conceal. I have CT laser grips on mine, sighted in with speer 135 grain +P loads as a way to use a different load.
That is the same set up I have. Copy cat.....:p

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
All I could find today was 158 JHP and 135 +P JHP. I couldn't tell much difference in the two. I like the concealment of the 642 so I'll be practicing quite a bit.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
So, shooting my dads new 642 today was a joke! I shot horrible. Maybe it being the first time I shot a revolver, or the trigger pull. I was pulling high and a bit to the right. I ran 200 rds through it and it was steadily getting better, but it's going to take some practice. Just thought I would throw that out there.
"First time I shot a revolver...." Yeah that might do it. I wouldn't want the first revolver I ever shot to be a snub nose .38 special. Try shooting a 6" S&W 686 with .38 special wadcutters and you'll notice a big difference. As for the 642, I shoot it well and have practiced with it. Shoot the gun a bunch and see how you do.

Chapie+

·
Registered
160 Posts
I, have a 642 and use it as my summer carry gun. Glad to see this tread. I, have the same problem shooting, shots are all over the place, thought there was something wrong with the gun. I, got it in July and only have about 100 rounds through it. Looks looks like I, need to pratice alot more.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
I, have a 642 and use it as my summer carry gun. Glad to see this tread. I, have the same problem shooting, shots are all over the place, thought there was something wrong with the gun. I, got it in July and only have about 100 rounds through it. Looks looks like I, need to pratice alot more.
It may be that this isn't the gun for you....

I cannot seem to shoot little autos well. So I stopped buying little autos - they drive me nuts. There are folks who think they are great and will buy up LCPs, baby Glocks, Sub compacts, etc.

Practice, practice, practice, but if it still isn't doing it - get something else.

Chapie+

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
My trigger takes some pulling to fire. I've learn to squeeze the trigger before the final pull. This helps when target shooting... but for self defense I pull hard and fast. Shot placement is all over the place.

·
Premium Member
3,470 Posts
I start most shooting sessions with a revolver (double action), makes everything else seem like it has a GREAT trigger.

Get good with that snubby!!!

·
Registered
341 Posts
I learned to control the aim of my 642 using the CT laser grips, you can see the barrel mve as you squeeze the trigger. A good FIRM grip is required to be consistant with shot placement. Dry firing it will help.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks everyone. I'll be practicing quit a bit with it. I could see that I was pulling it up when I shot.

·
Premium Member
17,523 Posts
My 642 is one of the most accurate handguns I own...:rolleyes:

Top 5 with CTC laser..
Bottom 5 without CTC laser..
Mid 5 without CTC laser...

·
Registered
90 Posts
You need to get some snap caps and practice,practice, and practice. The trigger does not get truely smooth and broke in until you squeeze it a couple thousand times. It helps you learn a smooth trigger pull and smooths out the trigger nicely. I have over 3000 snap cap trigger pulls and about thousand rounds thru mine. I love this gun. It is as accurate as you are. I do not recommend "staging" the trigger pull, as when the shtf, you will be squeezing them off and will not think about staging the trigger. I carry it daily and love it. Snap caps make a big difference. Good luck.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts