1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
78 Posts
Great gun for carrying. I hated shooting it though. I don't have huge hands, but the way that I'd grip mine the cylinder release latch would cut my thumb on recoil after firing several rounds at the range. Again just my experience with my grip. But the gun itself never had a functional issue and the one I owned had a really smooth trigger pull right from the factory. I carried almost daily for a year and a half. Finally sold it though because I hated getting my thumb busted up at the range.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Her only drawback with it is the lack of a safety. The trigger isn't loose is it? She's a bit nervous of an accidental firing.

·
Premium Member
17,523 Posts
The trigger is long and heavy.
I bought one for my wife and she didn't like it.
I ended up selling it..

A purse isn't a very good place to keep a handgun..

Have your friend check out this website.
A lot of info for women interested in handguns and CCW.
Cornered Cat

·
Premium Member
24,884 Posts
The 642 is my EDC, and my wife has no problem with it. However, she is a deputy. :)

·
Premium Member
20,508 Posts
642 is a good gun.

I do agree with 1LL about not keeping it in a purse.

·
Registered
78 Posts
A pocket holster inside of her purse would serve the same function as it does in the pocket. Namely keeping things from getting anywhere near the trigger and lint and objects out of the barrel.

·
Registered
89 Posts
The trigger is long and heavy.
I bought one for my wife and she didn't like it.
I ended up selling it..

A purse isn't a very good place to keep a handgun..

Have your friend check out this website.
A lot of info for women interested in handguns and CCW.
Cornered Cat
The long and heavy trigger is why I sold my 442, same gun as the 642 except in black. I could not get very accurate because of it. I don't use these for concealed carry, so I now have a 637 with exposed hammer I can fire in single action and love it. I imagine you could have some action work done to improve the trigger on the DAO Smiths.
The Ruger LCR is supposed to have a much better trigger in DAO, but I have not fired one. Feels great in the hand though. A lot of folks on the S&W forum prefer it over the Airweight Smiths.

·
Premium Member
20,508 Posts
A pocket holster inside of her purse would serve the same function as it does in the pocket. Namely keeping things from getting anywhere near the trigger and lint and objects out of the barrel.
Yes, but a purse is typically what is stolen from women. Lets say a thief runs by and grabs the purse from you. Now you have lost a purse and given a crook a gun.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Yes, but a purse is typically what is stolen from women. Lets say a thief runs by and grabs the purse from you. Now you have lost a purse and given a crook a gun.

Point well taken. Perhaps the gentleman should have his wife carry a claymore mine in her purse. From what I've seen, most women would have ample room for one given the size of the bags they're carrying.

·
Registered
67 Posts
My wife has a black model; it's too small for my hands although it shoots pretty well at 10 yards. Short barrel and quite a hefty recoil. Trigger is long and heavy. had a local gunsmith put a lighter trigger pull in but did not notice any difference. IMO would be better with lighter trigger but as a "no safety wheelgun" it works well for the purpose for which it is designed - nice and light and concealable. My wife has a Bullard Bodyguard holster which s very nice and comfortable.

·
Registered
344 Posts
SW 442 is my pocket carry gun. I have the small Crimson Trace grips on it. Friend has the larger grips which make it easier to grip but with some loss of concealability. Had a local smith change out the factory springs for some Wolff reduced power springs which was a big improvement for me.

The gun requires at least monthly trips to the range to maintain my skills with it. It is probably the gun where I notice my skills deteriorate the quickest if I don't fire it very often. This is not surprising--short barrel, small grip, and long DAO trigger--but something to consider; you should plan on plenty of range time. YMMV.

·
Premium Member
2,497 Posts
642 are good guns but I much prefer the 638 or "Bodyguard" style SW revolver (original bodyguard not the new polymer abomination)

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
I had one with the CT grips also. The trigger was bad enough that after 2 years fighting it I gave it up and sold it. The trigger on the LCR IS nicer, although you get the shorter grip also.
on the 642-
Good for reliability, hard to shoot well or regularly w/o gloves. I loved carrying it but came to the conclusion that if I couldn't shoot the darn thing well enough at 7 yards with no pressure at the range, I probibly wouldn't be able to use it well enough to be useful if something went bad.

I am currently adjusting my options for carry.

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
+1 on the LCR....Fun and easy to shoot (38sp, not .357). Easy to carry/conceal since its so light....It has now become my BUG, or quick carry when I don't want to carry my XDsc....The LCR has a great trigger.....

·
Registered
212 Posts
For the most part I have to say people that are posting here are on point. This gun does have a long, a little more stiff trigger pull. If at all possible I would test it out at a local range that rents guns. This a very common pistol and any good rent range will have it. That being said, I bought a 642 for my mom a few years ago and its a purse gun for her. Any women thats not a 'paris hilton' will have no problem shooting all 5 on paper with no problem. The pull isn't much more then a ruger lc9 or lcp and the recoil is nothing when using non +p ammo.
If you can't rent, buy it, if she doesn't like it sell it on armslist they are a hot item and will sell in days on there. As for keeping a gun in a purse theres no reason why you should not.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I just started my 10 day wait for a new 642 Pre Lock. Very excited for my new pocket gun.

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
I have used the 442 as my daily carry for a while. I ended up getting the Crimson Trace grips for it because I couldn't hit the broadside of a barn with it from inside the barn!

Very reliable, plenty of take down power in the .38 SPC +P HP round. I hate shooting it though, super stiff trigger and kills your hand after about 20 rounds.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
love my 642 - the trigger is fine, once it breaks in it is a very smooth double action.

From what I understand the wolf spring kit improves the reset more so than anything else.

It is a defensive handgun not a range gun making tiny little groups. I typically shoot about 10-20 rounds and I stick it back in my pocket. Take it for what it is - small, light, powerful, reliable and a classic!:cool:

1 - 20 of 41 Posts