Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i want a small revolver for carry im thinking of thies two because theyre chambered for .38 and .357 i was wondering if anyones shot or heard stories of either of thies two with the 357 the 340 is very light and the recoil must be out of control.im leaning twards the 640 because it weighs more so it should be easier to shoot the 357s out of

·
Registered
66 Posts

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Welcome to XD Talk! Good questions!

I carry a S&W 642 .38 special. I find that the .357 magnum in a small frame recoils a lot and does not a signficant enough difference in the velocity with that short a barrel to make up for the kick.

I like the 642 for its light weight and the .38 for its lighter recoil, even with +Ps, than .357s.

For me the SP101 is too big and heavy for pocket carry. If you are going to go that route, look for a snubnosed K-frame .357 and you'll have a little more weight and another shot.

Chapie+

·
Registered
375 Posts
Welcome to XD Talk! Good questions!

I carry a S&W 642 .38 special. I find that the .357 magnum in a small frame recoils a lot and does not a signficant enough difference in the velocity with that short a barrel to make up for the kick.

I like the 642 for its light weight and the .38 for its lighter recoil, even with +Ps, than .357s.

For me the SP101 is too big and heavy for pocket carry. If you are going to go that route, look for a snubnosed K-frame .357 and you'll have a little more weight and another shot.

Chapie+
What Chapie said. There's not much point to a .357 in a short barrel other than the really cool flame at the end of the barrel. Maybe 2-300fps difference between the .357 and .38 special +P. S&W 642 are good solid guns and light enough for carry. I'll forget that I have mine in my pocket or after awhile forget I am wearing it with a cross breed holster.
Somthing else to keep in mind is that on these light, small frame revolvers, heavy recoil can cause the bullets in the other cartridges to work there way out of the case. Just some food for thought.

·
Banned
1,224 Posts
I started with a 642, then went to a 649, then a 640, and now a 340. The 640 is easier to shoot, but a j-frame to me is not a range gun. I can easily shoot 25 rounds with no problem with the 340. Somewhere around the 50 round mark the webbing between the thumb and first finger is split and bleeding.
With all the said it is so much easier to carry a 12oz (empty) gun all day, but I have no problem with a double tap so I am extremely confident with it.

The .357 mag may only have slightly better ballistics for a short barrel, but to be honest if I need to stop somebody I want all the power it can have, which is why I got rid of the 642. My life is worth the extra money.

Below is a link to the ballistics for the Speer Gold Dot SB (short barrel) ammo. Look for the SB ammo near the bottom of the page.

Speer Ammo - Ballistics Tables

·
Registered
66 Posts
The difference can be even more than 300 fps in some cases. Even with a modest 200 fps improvement on the same weight bullet, you're talking about a muzzle energy increase of over 50%.

·
Banned
1,224 Posts
However, you are going to lose time when it comes to follow up shots.

Chapie+
I am by no means anywhere near a marksman, but I can use my buddies (the one I sold him) 642 and my 340 at the range, and dump 5 rounds into a target at 5 yards in a similar time and accuracy.

These are not target guns by any means. With adrenalin pumping you won't notice the extra muzzle fip/recoil anyway.

The light weight and more power (even it is minor) is worth the extra money, in my opinion.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
I am by no means anywhere near a marksman, but I can use my buddies (the one I sold him) 642 and my 340 at the range, and dump 5 rounds into a target at 5 yards in a similar time and accuracy.

These are not target guns by any means. With adrenalin pumping you won't notice the extra muzzle fip/recoil anyway.

The light weight and more power (even it is minor) is worth the extra money, in my opinion.
Sounds like it works for you. I shot a 340 with fullhouse .357 mag loads and it was a killer. I had the firmest possible hold on it and it still kicked high to the sky rotating in my hand. A bunch of us shot it on qualification day and it was a hard kicking gun. So I went with the 642 which cost a lot less money too. But hey, if you have the money and you can take the kick, why not?

Chapie+

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thank you to everyone thats responded to this... super trucker how are the 357s out of the 340? also does anyone have a model 60 pro its a steel j frame has a 3 inch barrel which would be good for the 357s but it also means its not really a pocket gun anymore cause its 2 inches bigger with the large grips and barrel if i could easily conceal the 60 pro id choose that im 230 so i figure i should be able to.. but the 640 is smaller i like the hidden hammer but id like the added accuracy of a 3 inch barrel...because of all the horror stories ive heard about shooting the 340 with the 357 im leaning twards the 60 or 640 if anyone owns thies HELP ME OUT lol or just lend me a grand so i can get all 3:D

·
Banned
1,224 Posts
Sounds like it works for you. I shot a 340 with fullhouse .357 mag loads and it was a killer. I had the firmest possible hold on it and it still kicked high to the sky rotating in my hand. A bunch of us shot it on qualification day and it was a hard kicking gun. So I went with the 642 which cost a lot less money too. But hey, if you have the money and you can take the kick, why not?

Chapie+
I think we found where the difference is. If you are a cop shooting 25 yards then that is a whole world different than my 5 yards. I can see where that can cause more time between shots, as a citizen I can only legally shoot 7 yards or 21 feet here in MI, so I don't bother to shoot the j-frame any farther. I have shot 25 yards with it, slow fire taking time to aim, but it was not very impressive.

·
Banned
1,224 Posts
super trucker how are the 357s out of the 340?
Like I said in post #5 it is not a "fun" gun to shoot, but it so easy to carry. If you run 25 rounds a week it is no big deal, if you run 50 a day it would suck.
The 640 will get heavy in a pocket holster as it is almost double the weight of the 340 (23oz VS 12oz).
I have found that if a gun is easy to carry, I will carry it more.

Have you checked any local ranges to see if you can rent one first? Ask around at a local club or friends to see if you can find one to shoot. I have had probably 10 different people ask to shoot mine. About 1/2 of them like it.

Good luck with whichever you decide to get.

·
Registered
302 Posts
However, you are going to lose time when it comes to follow up shots.

Chapie+

I don't find that to be true. My 340PD has hardly any muzzle rise. The grip positions the hand high on axis with the barrel. 357's don't slow me down. They just hurt pretty good, like someone swinging a bat into my hand. I doubt I'd notice the whack much in a self-defense situation though.

·
Registered
302 Posts
thank you to everyone thats responded to this... super trucker how are the 357s out of the 340? also does anyone have a model 60 pro its a steel j frame has a 3 inch barrel which would be good for the 357s but it also means its not really a pocket gun anymore cause its 2 inches bigger with the large grips and barrel if i could easily conceal the 60 pro id choose that im 230 so i figure i should be able to.. but the 640 is smaller i like the hidden hammer but id like the added accuracy of a 3 inch barrel...because of all the horror stories ive heard about shooting the 340 with the 357 im leaning twards the 60 or 640 if anyone owns thies HELP ME OUT lol or just lend me a grand so i can get all 3:D

I'd rent a 340 at the range. The first time I tried 357's out of mine, with all the hoopla I had heard, I downright expected to break my wrist shooting 357's. I got the guts up one day and loaded 5. The whack on my palm was very strong, but I lived. I don't want to fire more than a cylinder or two at the range, but that's all I'd expect to use in a self-defense situation.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Well,
Like most of the other posters said, even though the 340 is capable of shooting .357`s, it`s not pleasant. It`s just too light. Better to shoot good .38+P`s with it such as the Gold Dot 135gr. Short Barrel.
I have a 442 (Black version of 642), and it`s just right with +P`s.
As far as the 60 goes, a hammerless is better for Pocket Carry.(In my opinion)
If you`re Hell Bent on shooting .357`s, then the 640 would be the best choice. However, as some of the other posters said, it would be kind of heavy for pocket carry.
Regards, Pete

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
I have a 360pd. The same thing as the 340 just with a hammer. The Airlite's are great self defense guns. You can ware them comfortably all day. The kick isn't as bad as they say altho they do kick. .38's you can shoot all day but .357 Begin to hert after a few. This is a carry revolver not a range gun. Its very accurate for a 1 7/8th" barrel.
I did not make a mistake buying my 360.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.