Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At the gun show (this past weekend) I picked up a M&P 15-22 (model 811033, 25 round mag, threaded barrel). I've been wanting one for a while. I love shooting my Stag AR-15, but it gets expensive. Also, my son loves to shoot also and the AR is a bit much for him. He has a 22 rifle (Savage 64 fxp), but it's hard for him to load the magazines.

So, I walk up to the table and the price is $410. Couldn't pass that up... I said, "I'll take that one". Note: this was the first table we walked up to. That was such a good price I knew I wouldn't find it cheaper... and I didn't. We then walked over to another vendor and bought an additional magazine. After we got home we stripped it down, checked it all out, and put it back together.

My son and I went to the local outdoor gun range today. It was hot, so it wasn't crowded. However, another "dad" was their with his daughter and they were shooting their S&W 15-22. I thought that was cool.

We proceeded to blast through a Federal 550 box. Shot everyone of them WITHOUT a single issue. Flawless fun. It's so light that my son and handle it with ease. He can also load his own magazines....

We had an absolute blast with this new gun. We were there for hours and only shot through $15 worth of ammo.

If you are considering one.... go for it. You won't regret it.

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
Definitely loads of fun...:)

·
Registered
298 Posts
Best advice I can give is to purchase a handful of magazines. I have four magazines myself, because reloading is the only problem I ever run into with mine!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Well I was planning on building an ar with a .22 upper but the more I see posts like these I may as well just get the m+p and then build a dedicated .223 ar

·
Premium Member
1,574 Posts
I picked up an M&P15-22 some time back....didn't really want to shoot .22LR through a conversion kit in my M&P15. The more I shoot the 15-22, the more I realize it was the right decision.

It has worn a number of various optics since I bought it. Here is a pic of it before I pulled the Millet MDS-1 for transplant to my backup AR. The 15-22 now runs a 1.5x4 Bushnell optic.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Best advice I can give is to purchase a handful of magazines. I have four magazines myself, because reloading is the only problem I ever run into with mine!
We bought 1 extra. I can see that I need more. My son can empty them faster than I can load them.

I saw a tip regarding loading. You need to look to ensure that the bullets are staggered (the way they stack on top of each other) in the magazine. I was watching it and had no issues.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I was planning on building an ar with a .22 upper but the more I see posts like these I may as well just get the m+p and then build a dedicated .223 ar
That was my initial though also, but I decided I wanted to have both "ready to go" so my son and I could both shoot.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My 9 year old made his "list" today for the 15-22 and handed it to me. It included:

-Red Dot Optic
-bi-pod mount (he said it's cooler than sand bags or the carpet blocks at the range)
-digital camo gun case (with pockets)
-3 more magazines (because the gun case has 5 pockets and he already has 2 magazines).

It just made me smile. I liked the thought and justification he had for each item.

Editorial Note: "Mom" was not nearly as impressed as I was......

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
I bought an extra 25 round magazine for me and just ordered 2 of the short 10 round magazines from S&W direct since none of the usual online places had them, one for each of my boys. I found at the range today that the length of the 25 round magazines was too much for the prone position for them (the were resting the gun on the mag) so that's why the short mags.

I also just bought a fore grip which has a pull out bi-pod from Midway USA. Should be here on Wednesday.

This has been one of the best purchases I've ever made and still makes me grin every time I get it to the range. I originally bought it thinking I'd give it to the boys but I've decided to keep it and be nice and "share" it with them when we go to the range.

I'm hoping to take it rabbit hunting this fall - I think it would be an excellent small game rifle.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I ordered 4 of the shorty mags and have 3 regular mags, but the shorty's are on backorder everywhere. In Cali there is no point to the banana mags because anything over 10rds is illegal. I would love to dump 25 rds a pop, lol!

·
Registered
608 Posts
My 9 year old made his "list" today for the 15-22 and handed it to me. It included:

-Red Dot Optic
-bi-pod mount (he said it's cooler than sand bags or the carpet blocks at the range)
-digital camo gun case (with pockets)
-3 more magazines (because the gun case has 5 pockets and he already has 2 magazines).

It just made me smile. I liked the thought and justification he had for each item.

Editorial Note: "Mom" was not nearly as impressed as I was......

that IS A COOL KID!! LOL

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
I ordered 4 of the shorty mags and have 3 regular mags, but the shorty's are on backorder everywhere. In Cali there is no point to the banana mags because anything over 10rds is illegal. I would love to dump 25 rds a pop, lol!
It doesnt take long to unload 25... but its better than 10 I guess;)

@ the OP, if you dont know about the crayon trick for the engravings, it may be something you and your son would be interested in doing:cool:

Heres mine filled in (the pics dont do the coloring justice)

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
I think the emblems would look great in red, or OD :)
Thats one good thing about the crayon trick... if you dont like the color, its removable and you can test out different ones until you see what you like... unlike paint;)

It holds up really well too, I havent had any melt or any other problems since I did mine, even after 500 rounds in a row... I wouldnt leave it out in the heat anywhere though lol:shock:

·
Registered
839 Posts
I wanted to add that I put a drop-in RRA 2 stage trigger in my M&P...BIG DIFFERENCE!!!

I'm not going to day its as good as my trigger in my AR but it is easily 100% better than the stocker in M&P.

Lastly...I've been having some FTF issue with mine lately (nosing into the feed ramp)...every time it's magazine related. I'm guess that after 1000+ rounds through each magazine (4000+ through the M&P), they're starting to give out.

For the time being it's possibly 1-2 rounds per magazine and I actually don't mind it. For now I welcome it. Doing run and gun AR drills as well as shooting dueling tree matches, it's really helped me to learn to clear a chamber on the fly. If it gets worse I'll address it...if not I've actually picked up some serious speed when clearing a jam.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts