Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at my rifles the other day and noticed that a few of them have rust spots in various places. I noticed it early enough to be able to oil them and wipe them down but what is the best way of preventing this again?

They are currently being stored "open air" in closets and such, or sometimes left in a foam padded travel case for a short time. I thought about getting a cheap non-insulated gun safe to store them in, but will that really help if its not air tight?

Suggestions?

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I was looking at my rifles the other day and noticed that a few of them have rust spots in various places. I noticed it early enough to be able to oil them and wipe them down but what is the best way of preventing this again?

They are currently being stored "open air" in closets and such, or sometimes left in a foam padded travel case for a short time. I thought about getting a cheap non-insulated gun safe to store them in, but will that really help if its not air tight?

Suggestions?
Get some silica packs and put them in the safe. I have one that's reusable and works great. I put a hygrometer inside and found that the silica keep the relative humidity to about 40% - 45% inside. Just make sure you get one that is correctly sized for the space. My gun safe is not air tight by any means. No rust.

For rust prevention, I usually use CLP and most recently, Eezox.

For rust removal, I've just done my first experiment using naval jelly for the really badly corroded metal. It works great but strips the bluing. If the rust is not deep enough, maybe some oil and fine steel wool might help. Clean it with brake cleaner, dry then apply Eezox.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts