Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

I went to a gun show last weekend and picked up my first mosin-nagant 91/30 for $75.

I've been reading up on them and started cleaning this one up. I cleaned alot of junk off the stock with a mixture of equal parts of boiled linseed oil and mineral spirits.

I started on the metal parts tonight. I found some pitting and rusting on the barrel. Here are some pics:

Its probably about a 1/16th of an inch deep I'm guessing. It's not too close to the receiver, so I'm thinking it would probably be safe to shoot.

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
"What do you guys think?" in terms of do we think it's safe to shoot? Honestly, I don't know. It's a good question that I'd like to also know the answer to, as we've got an old Mauser that looks similar. Contrats on the first Nagant... now make it beautiful!

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A bit pricey :p. If i bought the gallon, I would have to buy more rusty rifles to play with!

I bought it at a show. They were an FFL Dealer and had a brick and mortar store front.

It still has the Century arms tag on it when I picked it up, so I'm not sure how much checking they did. The bolt and action seem clean, headspace I can't check (don't have the gauges) and this rust was next to the stock, so I don't think they would check for that.

I like this gun, but I don't know how I would feel about running into battle with it even if it was brand new :)

·
Premium Member
9,171 Posts
As long as its just pitting and has no cracks, it will be fine.Looks pretty typical to me, i have some that make that one look like a brand new gun. Mine are just fine. Mosin barrels are thick. What year and arsenal is it?? Looks like a '42-'45 model by the barrel machining....

·
Registered
115 Posts
While the pitting doesn't look nice, I don't see anything in the pictures that would make the gun unsafe to fire.

But of course, I am not a gunsmith. And I suggest that you take the gun to a gunsmith if you are not comfortable making the decision to shoot it yourself.

·
Registered
7,827 Posts
I would probably use PC-7 to smooth out the pits and get it refinished. As far as safety goes, probably best to have gunsmith check it out..

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here's some pics of her all cleaned up.

I just put a nice layer of gun grease on the pits and cleaned and lubed her up.

It's hard to get a good picture cuz shes soo long. The bayonet and accessories are coming on monday :D

·
Premium Member
430 Posts
Nice looking mosin, if you want something that is tough and will stop the rust in it's tracks, get some Por15, they use it on classic car chassis. Tough stuff and it stops rust. Put some on, it'll fill in the holes and than sand it down even with the barrel. You'll be set! Comes in quart cans as well!

·
Premium Member
2,497 Posts
thats not CQB... thats reach across the river into the enemies foxhole :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts