Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, my xd was sitting in my room for about 2 weeks untouched.. i was actually just cleaning bedroom and moved it and noticed surface rust on slide. i was able to remove with just dry cloth.. anything i should do? how to avoid it in future?

·
Registered
386 Posts
Man what is up with that rust issue. :shock: Do the Croats have better stuff. I dont own a XD I have a 3rd gen HS and I would say I am not the most responsible person when it comes to cleaning it and I just have it laying around the house here and there. Maybe i am just getting lucky. I think I will start using Armadillo too since everyone loves it and swears by it. I am curious I know not everyone has this prob and it is not the norm and with proper care it shouldn’t happen but I don’t think I have seen that many people with the HS’s say they have this problem. Now this might be because there are a lot less of them than XD’s or people might refer to them as XD’s. The rat just got on the squeaky wheel and I started to think. Any thoughts. :?

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
I am beginning to suspect these rust posts are fake and only put up here to sell that Armadillo crap. I don't use it and have no finish or rust issues. Maybe Armadillo causes rust. All I know is everytime some posts about rust someone tells them to buy Armadillo. Sounds very suspicious to me. I have yet to see rust on a XD in real life and I know several people besides me who own and shoot one.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
manygunner said:
I am beginning to suspect these rust posts are fake and only put up here to sell that Armadillo crap. I don't use it and have no finish or rust issues. Maybe Armadillo causes rust. All I know is everytime some posts about rust someone tells them to buy Armadillo. Sounds very suspicious to me. I have yet to see rust on a XD in real life and I know several people besides me who own and shoot one.
lol.. you have a conspirecy theory about armadillo? you have too much time on your hands.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
I am an Eezox fanboy. I had serious rust issues. Then I started using Eezox. Then I had serious rust issues after the Eezox rubbed off. Then I sent my XD in to get Armory Koted. Now I don't have rust issues.

·
Banned
1,546 Posts
manygunner said:

It's a conspiracy!!!!!!!!!!!! Tin Foil FOR ALL!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
im considering plating my slide. but i dont want nickel/chrome look. considering a black chrome silimiar to the finish in this pic..

from apwcogon.com
BLACK CHROME PLATING

Black Chrome is the second hardest black finish available for firearms and the hardest finish available at a reasonable price. It is the premier finish when concealment is the first priority.

Black Chrome has many of the same properties as regular chrome. However, in changing the plated deposit from a Light Grey color to Jet Black, we diminish two major properties of regular chrome, hardness and abrasion resistance.

Black Chrome is slightly harder than Nickel. It was never intended to be a highly wear resistant finish, like Hard Chrome. It has much greater wear resistance than any form of Bluing (Black Oxide) and due to the presence of Nickel, or Chrome, as a base coat, a greater corrosion resistance than a single coating of Chrome, or Nickel the to the base metal.

Some of our clients are adamant about Black Finishes. This is the best bang for your dollar, if you are stuck on Black. For technical reasons we only offer this finish in a Matte surface texture and suggest the use of a wax impregnated oil on the exposed surface. Brownells offers a water soluble oil “Pro-Sheen” that is wax impregnated and works well on Black Chrome at two parts oil to one part water.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Rust is caused by the oxidation of the metal. This occurs when the pistol is stored in a wet or moist place - or in an area with moisture in the air.

I keep my XD in a dry case with ant-moisture packets that stupid kids accidentally eat. No rust.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
FireSeven said:
Rust is caused by the oxidation of the metal. This occurs when the pistol is stored in a wet or moist place - or in an area with moisture in the air.

I keep my XD in a dry case with ant-moisture packets that stupid kids accidentally eat. No rust.
kind of guess that, since mine i keep just tucked near corner of bed close to a/c. but im only comfortable having it loaded and within reaching distance at all times. so i guess i'll have to take preventative measures like armadillo or plating as i mentioned.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
[TASF said:
Overkill]I am an Eezox fanboy. I had serious rust issues. Then I started using Eezox. Then I had serious rust issues after the Eezox rubbed off. Then I sent my XD in to get Armory Koted. Now I don't have rust issues.
I had the same experience with Eezox and Breakfree. Not faulting Eezox or Breakfree, just that no matter what you use, the finish is faulty, and the metal needs to be sealed in some way. Armadillo does a pretty good job of that, but isn't perfect either. I've gotten rust where the inside of my holster contacts heaviest with the slide, and wears away the Armadillo coating. I think if your slide continues to rust, refinishing is the only real answer. I haven't gotten to that the point that it bothers me enough, but I'm almost there.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
FireSeven said:

The only time mine ever rusts is after I've carried it and gotten sweaty. It takes very little time to rust. Maybe I need to get some drawers made out of dessicant packets or something... :lol:

·
Registered
106 Posts
LOL.. point taken! :) For you carry and on-gaurd people, that's not a bad idea.

Why not have one of those packets sitting inside your holster? It could be done. :D Who knows, maybe it will help.

Regardless, no one should complain about getting a Black-T or Kote finish :D They rule.

·
Registered
122 Posts
IMPALAon20s said:
im considering plating my slide. but i dont want nickel/chrome look. considering a black chrome silimiar to the finish in this pic..

I don't think anything that shiny is available. The black-chrome is a matte finish. Wouldn't want it to shiny as it scratches so easily.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Who does the black chrome finish? Think they might do a CZ-75? Mine is 10 years old and the wear on the polymer finish is begining to show., Been thinking about a new polymer/teflon finish but black chrome would look so sweet.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts