Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
1,790 Posts
Have some small areas of rust appearing on the slide ridges
Of my xd40. Any ideas how to remove or prevent? Kept in
Gun case in closet. Thanks

Remove it from the case and put it in somekind of minisafe at best with a desicant.

Any good penetrating oil will help remove it. Give it a good soak and it will wipe off. I like liquid wrench penetrating oil for rust removal if I find the need to..........

·
Registered
480 Posts
You can easily remove mild corrosion build up on your slide by applying a gentle amount of lubricant and brush it off with either a brass brush or wool.

You can prevent this from happening again by making sure you wipe off your gun with a silicone cloth that will remove any rust forming contaminants such as sweat from skin contact. It's a good habit to lightly coat the slide with a corrosion/ rust inhibitor compound such as Eezox, Corrosion-X, etc. if you'll be keeping the gun in a safe for long periods of time. Placing a moisture absorbing desiccant in your safe can also help control moisture and make sure you replace it every 6 weeks for optimum protection.

Don't be a victim of rusty tales.

·
Registered
109 Posts
You can prevent this from happening again by making sure you wipe off your gun with a silicone cloth that will remove any rust forming contaminants such as sweat from skin contact.
Over time, I've found that wiping a pistol down with a silicone cloth and/or silicone based oil is better for storage than petroleum based oils.

Don't really know why, but similar storage conditions on similar pistols but different by using silicone vs petroleum oils leaves the silicone stored guns in better shape when I get to them a couple years later for another look-see.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.