Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
xdm 3.8....

got about 200 rounds through it... well oiled and cleaned after every use..

ummmm why is there spots of rust on slide.. longest it has ben stored was about 30 days at a time. gun is less than 7 months old.....

why? and WHY? seriously is it the case or not being in a well ventilated area? i dont even wanna put it back in the case.....

my house is well Air conditioned .. i dont know

how can i make sure this doesn't happen again? and is there a good way to get it off? i just used gun cleaner and it wiped off after a while but ya..

Attachments

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats because I cleaned it ( whether i did it the correct way or not i dont know) .. I just posted a pic for verification that i take good care of my guns and its not a scratched up pile of crap i toss around.

is there any ideas what to do, or am i just going to acquire a bad taste for my new purchase?

·
Registered
18,141 Posts
Thats because I cleaned it ( whether i did it the correct way or not i dont know) .. I just posted a pic for verification that i take good care of my guns and its not a scratched up pile of crap i toss around.

is there any ideas what to do, or am i just going to acquire a bad taste for my new purchase?

is it a toy or is it a tool? if its a tool treat it as such. take care of it but don't baby it. use it.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
dude, i got 1,300 invested in this gun on custom trigger jobs sights and internals. its a tool i wouldn't think would rust after 6 months old. and to be honest.. this is one of my toys i use as a tool... preference on keeping them looking nice is not the discussion. I am asking why or is there a better preventative to keeping them from rusting? and a rusty " tool " could lead to issues dont you think?

back to discussion: Is there a way to keep them from rusting or cleaing the rust without harming the surface?

·
Registered
565 Posts
How do your store your firearm? For example, do you keep in a zippered handgun case, drawer, air tight safe, locked cabinet that allowes for air flow, etc...?

Good Luck And be Safe!!!
:cool:

·
Banned
1,155 Posts
Maybe it wasn't oiled well enough and where you're keeping it attracts moisture? Who's knows and anyone can speculate. If its not a CCW then oil it well and maybe try keeping it in a different location for the next 30 days and see what happens.

·
Registered
18,141 Posts
so how bad is it rusting? I read in other threads that the stainless sometimes gets small spots on it but you make it sound like its turning into the bottom of a 1981 plymouth.

·
Premium Member
1,329 Posts
After regular cleaning, I simply wipe my XD all over with a soft cloth that has a hint of gun oil on it; just enough to leave a very thin film of oil all over the slide. Same for the barrel and guide rod. This should provide protection from surface rust.

·
Premium Member
8,923 Posts
After I clean mine I wipe it down with a silicone gun & reel cloth.

If you're storing it in the case with the foam, this might be part of the problem as well as the foam holds moisture.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
lol, not the bottom of a plymouth,, just those small spots your talking about.

I keep it in the XDM case it came with.

maybe it had moisture in the case somehow. and maybe my closet is a bad spot. I will try relocating it for a few weeks..

you think a better case is an option?

i thought i hit the slide with some oil.. maybe last time i just forgot.

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
dude, i got 1,300 invested in this gun on custom trigger jobs sights and internals. its a tool i wouldn't think would rust after 6 months old. and to be honest.. this is one of my toys i use as a tool... preference on keeping them looking nice is not the discussion. I am asking why or is there a better preventative to keeping them from rusting? and a rusty " tool " could lead to issues dont you think?

back to discussion: Is there a way to keep them from rusting or cleaing the rust without harming the surface?
Dude, I have a handgun with over $3000.00 invested in it. It's rusted but its because it has a blued finish and I was shooting hot sweaty outdoor matches in the rain. No matter what gun you have, you need to do your part. Take whatever gun case you use and spray the internal foam down with aerosol can of silicone oil. Silicone has been the ebst thing I have found for protection my blued guns and magazines. You can also by a dry silcone spray and thats what I like to use to spray on my guns after I wipe them down and it has done a fabulous job for me. I think you can find some in a Grainger store. the foam liner in gun cases holds moisture and salts from your skin can and will rust guns.

·
Registered
768 Posts
After I clean mine I wipe it down with a silicone gun & reel cloth.

If you're storing it in the case with the foam, this might be part of the problem as well as the foam holds moisture.
+1 exactly what I use on all my guns too. Use an evaporitive cooler here in Colorado and stays pretty humid in the house during summer months...still no rust issues for me. Although I did notice today that my .223 shell holder and dies have a few rust spots on them...simply cleaned with some Hoppe's #9 and put a little oil on them...

·
Premium Member
1,329 Posts
Good point about the moisture in the foam, especially in very humid weather. Another consideration is acids (foods such as vinigar, apples, salad dressing, etc), salts (sweat and other salty substances), other corrosives such as household cleaning chemicals that may be on your hands or cloths while you handle the weapon. Any of these can cause corrosion on metal surfaces. For that matter, just your clean hands have an acidic content. Just touching an unprotected metal surface with bare hands can leave prints and discoloration.

·
Registered
755 Posts
+1 on silicon cloth

+100 on not storing in foam case. I had mine in the case less than 48 hrs after a good cleaning and it rusted. Made me SICK. Sent back to SA customer service, they paid shipping both ways, refinished and sent back within two weeks

·
Registered
480 Posts
Use this on your stainless steel slide and your worries of rust will be long gone;)

·
Registered
827 Posts
I second the use of Eezox.

Once you use Eezox, you won't use anything else. Ever! ;)

Stay Safe.

·
Registered
465 Posts
+1 on not using foam storage of any kind. I have a bi-tone .45 XD and noticed it started to rust on the slide and the grip safety. I cleaned it up and then stopped using the case it was in. Never had the problem again. I also love Eezox but due to availability to me I use G96 complete gun treatment. Great stuff also.

·
Registered
11,292 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Perfect.. thanks guys.. GOOD RECOMENDATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!! i will do the silicone spray and get it out of that foam case.

I am considering a small vault. ill check it out!!

Thanks again.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts