Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm pretty new to XDs and their alleged rust issues, but is there a permanent fix or do you constantly just stay on top of it? I read it on a past thread, that some people get a "KG GUN KOTE FINISH" put on from Canyon Creek or S-A offers an "Armory Kote finish" or "Nickel Teflon finish". Are these really permanent and which one is better? I also heard alot of people mention CLP, Eezox or Armadillo.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
I just clean with #9 and wipe down with RemOil.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Send it to one-eyed fatman for evaluation and testing, lol. Just trying to beat one eye to it.

In my book proper care, wipedown, CLP, etc. but I do not have any rust problems.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
I had Robar put NP3 on mine (the electroless nickel teflon finish), but I didn't have any rust problems in the first place. I use Armadillo on my SS revolver and my AR-15.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm assuming that everyone who replied never had a rust problem with their XD.

Does anyone know the difference between KG GUN KOTE, Armory Kote and Nickel Teflon finish and do all three of these apply to the all black finish models?

·
Registered
9,947 Posts
I am not old enough but from what I was told thats how they used to do it in the olden days. You can also put some wax like johnsons past wax available at walmart for 2-3 bucks for a pound tub. Wipe it on and let it dry.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ajamesp51 said:
I am not old enough but from what I was told thats how they used to do it in the olden days. You can also put some wax like johnsons past wax available at walmart for 2-3 bucks for a pound tub. Wipe it on and let it dry.
Thanks. :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Assuming you run a boresnake thru it , lightly clean it and oil it well, can you get away with only having to fieldstrip it after every 3-4 visits to the range or should I worry about it? (Thats hitting the range usually once, sometimes twice a week, going thru 100 rounds per visit, but storing it in a safe with low humidity <50%). This reads like a math question.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Oohhh crap I knew i forgot to study for something! :lol:

BullsEye, you might want to experiment a bit with how often you clean it. That sounds pretty similar to my own experience, except you get to the range more often than I do! I seem to clean my XD every other range trip, or whenever I feel I've neglected it (not gone to range in a while). When I clean it I leave a light coating of Eezox on it, then store it in a safe. It's worked great for me.

·
Registered
595 Posts
I use Breakfree on ALL of my firearms. It's what we used in the Marine Corp. Although I did spot some mild rust in my extractor well when I replaced the one on my HS2000, I haven't have a rust problem as yet on the exterior. I would figure that as tight as the extractor fits into its well that it would take a pressure of some sort to force lube into the area unless the extractor was removed each cleaning. But I would doubt this measure of disassembly is common. My XD is a stainless model. I hope it never rusts.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts