Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, the dreaded rust appeared on my XD the other day when I was inspecting it. Just a tiny little bit on the outside of the barrel. It wiped off easily with a silicone cloth. I must not have evenly coated the barrel with oil or something of the sort so I just gave it a quick recoat and reassembled. Still no rust on the slide to speak of as I clean and lube extensively after each range trip. My finish is starting to wear down in some spots already and I've only had the pistol for close to 1 month. Guess I knew this would happen before I bought it though.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
I finally got my xd, a 4" 40. Put 150 rounds of win. 165 wb. and 5rnds of hornady 155 tap something ?, and she ran flawless. As for the finish, if you can call it a finish, it's done. I got the package w/ 3mags. and holster, picked it up fri. afternoon. The allen wrench they shipped in the case to adjust the tension scratched the slide up by the barrel, what were they thinking ? The wrench should have been located lower in the case, but nooooo, they wanted a pony for christmas. Oh well, what are ya gonna do? I was impressed the way it shot out of the box, at first out of every mag. I had 2 low and left, had a buddy with me who is a much more exp. shooter give her a try and he had same results. But after another 25 or 30 rounds all were pretty much at 6' oclock. I should mention I could only get 8 rnds in the mags. with the new springs, but being the stubborn one that I am, didn't pick up the speed loader till after the range time was up. At least the blister isn't in the pad of the trigger finger Eh? Decided to just go w/5 in a mag. after a little soreness. Was a bit suprised just in shooting 1 hour the amount the finish seemed to get worn. Didn't really get bent out of shape over it, kind of expected it, just not that soon. Can't wait to put the next 150 or 200 rounds thru. Have fun and be safe. I'll try and post some pics. of slide and targets, I may have a bit of a wait though, our dig. camera had a drop at Hoover dam and the screen got cracked, at least she kept on taking pics, we still had to go through Cal.,Vegas, Grand Canyon, then the 2000 miles back to the great mitten!!

·
Registered
6,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Of course if I wanted a trophy gun I wouldn't have bought an XD in the first place. I just wish it wasn't such a headache constantly watching and worrying about rust (I clean very well after my weekly range trip, and if I don't make it to the range I inspect it for corosion).

·
Super Moderator
10,574 Posts
Charlie Hotel Uniform Papa Alpha Charlie Alpha Bravo Romeo Alpha Charlie Hotel Uniform Seirra -

Rust is only a concern if you let it be. It has not
bothered me in over four years with my HS2K/XDs!

Ed

·
Registered
397 Posts
Ed Ely said:
Charlie Hotel Uniform Papa Alpha Charlie Alpha Bravo Romeo Alpha Charlie Hotel Uniform Seirra -

Ed
How about, Charles Henry Union Paul Adam Charles Adam Boy Robert Adam Charles Henry Union Sam (phonetic alphabet from my old dept....yes I used to be LEO)

·
Super Moderator
10,574 Posts
Ed Ely said:

Ed

The above is the official NATO phonetic alphabet
used by the military and ham operators throughout
the world. LEOs are taught a different lingo.

Well, let's face it.. there's no dignity in saying "Dog
Yeti Nutcase Apple Mother Otter Otter" on the telephone.

The NATO Phonetic Alphabet was developed in the
1950s to be intelligible (and pronounceable) to all
NATO allies in the heat of battle. It replaced other
phonetic alphabets, for example the US military
"able baker" alphabet.

The NATO Phonetic Alphabet is now widely used
in business and telecommunications in Europe and
North America. There are dozens of other standards
in use throughout the world, but then the great thing
about standards is that there are so many to choose
from.

Ed

·
Registered
6,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What prompted the Zulu? Why not just spell them phonetically... See - ayech-pee- etc etc et or wait.. why not just type it normal.

·
Registered
6,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When I looked at my gun last night I had rust again in the exact same spot! This is AFTER I cleaned it again and THOUROUGHLY coated it with oil. Makes me worried a bit. When I noticed it last night I just quick cleaned it off and put more oil on the spot.

·
Super Moderator
10,574 Posts

Me appologize if I hi-jacked your thread.

If the rust thing has hapened again in the same spot,
how about backtracking your movements with the machine
and see if there is something that you may be doing out
of ordinary to cause it.

If the machine is new, I would not hesitate to call SA
and get them to refinish it under warranty if you think
that it is a manufacturing defect.

It is interesting how the rust thingie has shown up on so
many different machines XD or HS2K. Not bragging, but
I own eight of them, two unfired stored in a safe, and the
other ones, I shoot them, maybe clean them if I feel like
it, otherwise, I don't worry about them. I am going to
send two slides to Ajames for DuroCoating just to see
what his process is all about and then maybe put them to
the test, like putting them in a bucket of salt water for a
week and see what happens. No, I would not torture them
like that. Hope you get your problem solved.

Ed

1 - 10 of 10 Posts