Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was considering picking up a bi-tone XD-9. Has anyone had rust issues with a bi-tone?

·
Registered
178 Posts
WOW!!!!!! your slide looks FAR more dull than mine. could just be the pics, but it almost seems like mine has some sort of semi-gloss finsh on it. no rust problems whatsoever. and I bought mine new, so I know it had not been refinished...

·
Registered
370 Posts
No rust on my stainless 40 ever. As many here have seen my cleaning practices are less then exemplary! I went over 2 months with no kind of cleaning or oiling at all. I carry when at home (no ccw yet) and I live in Iowa where the summer humidity is terrible. I also shot around 2000 rounds druing this time that I didnt clean it.

·
Registered
224 Posts
No rust after almost a year. I have always kept a good basecoat of Blue Wonder Armadillo on the slide and follow that up with a wipe-down with a silicone-impregnated cloth (from the gun shop) after every time I handle my XD. Everything seems to have worked just fine.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I have a XD SC 9MM that started to surface rust. It seems that once it started no matter what I did I could not stop it.
I used CLP after EVERY handling...cleaned it thouroughly after EVERY range trip and after the initial tiny bit of surface rust started using Armadillo to coat it. Nothing would stop it.
It was not aggressive by all means but it was there.

I just recieved it back from having it refinished by Canyon Creek. We shall see how it holds up against surface rust now.;)

·
Registered
285 Posts
I have a Bitone and have had no rust using it 2-3 times a week in hot, humid Florida. The stainless should be enough to prevent rust but just to be sure I coat it with Boeshield T-9 every six months. I use this stuff on the cast iron surfaces of my woodworking tools in my garage with 100% success. It costs less than $15 a can which will last for years.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Where can I get this Boeshield that I hear so much about? Does the local Walmart/Target carry it? I looked for it at NAPA auto parts store but they didn't have it. I see it at amazon for around 18 bucks w/ shipping included.
I'd rather save five bucks and pick it up at a store nearby.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Any finish options for a stainless slide? I know some SIG-Sauers have a blackened stainless finish - wondering if Springfield's Custom Shop or anyone else offers anything.

Andy

·
Registered
80 Posts
I noticed some small rust spots on my bi-tone after handling it with my sweaty palms a few weeks after I bought it. But I put some armadillo on it and it has never rusted again.

·
Registered
261 Posts
For those of you experiencing rust, use Blue Wonder Gun Cleaner with 0000 Steel Wool. LIghtly rub the affected area for a few seconds and the rust will come off without harming the finish (other than what the rust is doing). Then oil with Disotec XFR to prevent the return of the rust.

Seal that in with a coat of Armadillo and you are ready for long term use of your XD without fear of rust.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Hi Guys/gals,

If you all still have the plastic vapor bag that it came in then seal it up using that. My "XD" has not in any rusted/corroded using this bag. I'll bet that SA might send you all one free if you ask.

Mail Clerk

1 - 16 of 16 Posts