Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone here having or had any rust issues? Today i noticed what looked like a small bit of rust inside the barrel and i have rust inside the little holes right above the trigger. Its time for its first cleaning i was just wondering if anyone had any trouble with rust.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Whoa!! Wait a minute.. this is the first time I have ever read of anyone having rust inside the barrel.. The outside of the barrel yes, the slide, yes, the trigger, Grip safety, slide lock... yes.. but inside the barrel I have not heard of..

Do you clean it regularly? My barrel is mirror clean.. If you have rust in there, you have a problem.

Raymond

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
the ox said:
Has anyone here having or had any rust issues? Today i noticed what looked like a small bit of rust inside the barrel and i have rust inside the little holes right above the trigger. Its time for its first cleaning i was just wondering if anyone had any trouble with rust.
You should have cleaned a Lubricated it right after you purchased it!
You should Clean it After EVERY Shooting session!
If you have rust in the barrel you have problems!
Call SA

·
Registered
527 Posts
How sure are you that it is rust on the inside of the barrel? The only reason I ask is a friend of mine who is new to guns told me his brand new SIG 226 had rust in the barrel. I looked at it and it was just a little copper fouling. That is normal and easily cleaned.

If it is rust, you can clean it no problem, but you might want to let Springfield know.

As far as the "two little holes above the trigger", I think you are referring to the pins. If that is the case, you can remove these and clean them off, just remember to put a little oil (I like to use TetraGun) to keep this from happening.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
I agree with Jcrich, copper is most likely what you see, I also agree with BUG, clean at least the barell after every session.

If you decide to remove "those pins above the trigger gaurd" which are actually the locking bloc/trigger pins, you may as well remove the locking block and trigger assembly as well.. You don't need to do this every time, but it's fun, and it teaches you a lot about your pistol.

AJames has detailed instructions on all this at http://www.xd-hs2000.com

Have fun cleaning.. I find cleaning my pistol almost as much fun as shooting.. almost..

Raymond

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah I took a good look inside the barrel and it looked like rust but actually it is copper. I am going to clean it after work tomorrow

·
Registered
96 Posts
searching around I found this thread, I also seem to have the same problem, looks like a little bit of rust on the inside end of the barrel, Ive cleaned the hell out of it and its still there, I honestly dont know if its rust or copper but its not goin away

·
Registered
65 Posts
Clean your weapon after every shooting, no matter what it is. If you don't have time that instant at least do it that evening after you unwind for the day. And if you don't shoot often at least give it a good oiling periodically (more than once every six months!! LOL.) Mine is a working gun I carry every single day on duty so it's not babied, and I've never seen a hint of rust because I simply take time to oil it at least a couple times a week. Usually when I'm vegging out on the couch after a night at work. Take care of your weapon like it's gospel. It may be the only thing between you and the grave someday. Sorry if I sound preachy, but I can't imagine rust in a barrel being their for any reason other than lack of maintenance :) .

·
Registered
96 Posts
I can tell you its not due to lack of maintenance, some say I over clean the thing.. not sure what else to say
**edit, I always have pictures :D **

[/url]

·
Banned
1,546 Posts
Solution to rust in the barrel -

Shoot the gun. Lubricate afterwards with CLP

·
Banned
1,546 Posts
pd40 said:
I can tell you its not due to lack of maintenance, some say I over clean the thing.. not sure what else to say
**edit, I always have pictures :D **
Looks fine to me

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Looks fine to me too.. all I see inside your barrel is the rifling.. I checked mine because looking down the nose of my pistol is something I avoid, and I had not noticed what I saw in your pic.. but having disasembled it, mine looks exactly the same.

Raymond

1 - 17 of 17 Posts