Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my Ruger P345 to the range yesterday, and when I went to clean it I noticed something that wasn't there before. I didn't have any problems out at the range, and shot 150 rounds no problem. When I took the gun apart I noticed a "chip" on the bottom of the feed ramp. I know for certain this was never there before. I bought the gun in February of 2009, so does anyone know if Ruger will repair this under warranty? I've already got an email off to them, and I'm just waiting for a response. I'm hoping someone on here can give me some good news before Ruger responds.

·
Premium Member
21,760 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your still alive!:D
hahaha well that did make me smile. Thanks for the laugh.

But i'm still bummed out about the Ruger. I just got my 870 working properly, and I was hoping to have my arsenal at 100% for at least a week!

Didn't happen...

·
Registered
7,016 Posts
Don't hold me to it, but from what I was told over at Ruger forum, Ruger has no warranty. There is no warranty card in the box either. That said, I have heard sll sorts of things Ruger has fixed at no charge.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
That chip is so low, it should not affect function. Hopefully they make it right.

·
Banned
744 Posts
Interesting issue. Not Ruger related but my issue is similar to yours so I hope you don't mind me posting this. I have a new XDm 40 compact. Shot 150 rounds of WWB through it foer the first time. Was cleaning it and noticed a little "nick" on the edge of the feed ramp.

I contacted Springfield with pics and they said send it in and we will poslish it out. Sent a pre paid shipping label with insurance and said they will fix it at no charge. I hope you have as good service with Ruger. Just strange how a steel feed ramp can get beat up by brass casings if thats what caused it. Im still at a loss as to how it happened to mine as Im sure you are too.

Attachments

·
Registered
121 Posts
It seems that Ruger picks and chooses. I had an M77 rifle that had a loose spot in the barrel about 5" from the muzzle. I called and was told that id I sent it in they would replace the barrel for about $480. A friend sent in a pistol and they rebiult the whole thing for free

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Don't hold me to it, but from what I was told over at Ruger forum, Ruger has no warranty. There is no warranty card in the box either. That said, I have heard sll sorts of things Ruger has fixed at no charge.
You are correct, they do not offer a written warranty because of the way the laws are written on a warranty, but they do repairs for free if it is a mechanical error, and not user error or wear and tear.

I was just wondering if anyone else had something similar happen and what Ruger did for them.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Interesting issue. Not Ruger related but my issue is similar to yours so I hope you don't mind me posting this. I have a new XDm 40 compact. Shot 150 rounds of WWB through it foer the first time. Was cleaning it and noticed a little "nick" on the edge of the feed ramp.

I contacted Springfield with pics and they said send it in and we will poslish it out. Sent a pre paid shipping label with insurance and said they will fix it at no charge. I hope you have as good service with Ruger. Just strange how a steel feed ramp can get beat up by brass casings if thats what caused it. Im still at a loss as to how it happened to mine as Im sure you are too.
I actually read your thread. I remember thinking to myself that I have never seen anyone's feed ramp get a "chip" or "nic" in it... Then of course a few days later... I'm hoping Ruger will do something for me, because I take excellent care of my firearms, and I know this is not something that was caused because of something I did. Especially since the gun fired flawlessly, and I didn't notice until I took it apart to clean it.

I'm definetly curious to know how brass can damage steel like that...

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I got an email back from Ruger. They want me to send photos along with the serial number of my gun, so they can determine if it was something I caused, or a defect. If it's a defect they will repair the gun free of charge. If not, then it's $30 for the repair and $35 shipping. I'll keep you guys posted.

To be honest, i'm going to be real upset if I have to spend $65 on something I know I did not cause...

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That chip is so low, it should not affect function. Hopefully they make it right.
it didn't at all. That's why I wonder how the hell it happened... Did the rim of the casing get caught on the bottom of the feed ramp and chip it? If so, how does brass chip steel like that??? Isn't brass the softer metal so it should give way first right?

·
Premium Member
127,164 Posts
I had a great experience with Ruger customer service. My Mark lll locked up on me and I couldn't disassemble it. Although it was only five years old they replaced just about every part but the frame...free of charge! :)

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I had a great experience with Ruger customer service. My Mark lll locked up on me and I couldn't disassemble it. Although it was only five years old they replaced just about every part but the frame...free of charge! :)
That's the kind of stuff I like to hear! :D

·
Banned
744 Posts
I actually read your thread. I remember thinking to myself that I have never seen anyone's feed ramp get a "chip" or "nic" in it... Then of course a few days later... I'm hoping Ruger will do something for me, because I take excellent care of my firearms, and I know this is not something that was caused because of something I did. Especially since the gun fired flawlessly, and I didn't notice until I took it apart to clean it.

I'm definetly curious to know how brass can damage steel like that...
Freaking Murphy's Law at it's finest.

·
Premium Member
12,086 Posts
If Ruger won't address it, it looks like something you could try to blend out to a radius pretty easily with a dremel or a fine, round file and then polish.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If Ruger won't address it, it looks like something you could try to blend out to a radius pretty easily with a dremel or a fine, round file and then polish.
hm... didn't think about that. I would rather do that then spend the $65 having it repaired if it's not covered under warranty. Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
324 Posts
hm... didn't think about that. I would rather do that then spend the $65 having it repaired if it's not covered under warranty. Thanks for the advice.
All respect to Dan, but I wouldn't try this.

A chip on the feedramp occurs if there's a fault in the forging of the barrel there - the ramp is a high wear spot because the nose of the bullet scrapes the feedramp. For it to fracture under what amounts to minimal load, there may be a fault in the steel that comprises the entire barrel; that problem may not be localized to just the ramp. This may mean that your barrel isn't safe to fire. If I were Ruger, I'd just replace it rather than risk a +P load blowing up your gun and possibly injuring the shooter.

If you work on it yourself and it blows up, then Ruger would not be responsible for anything that happens to it. My opinion is that you should do exactly as Ruger says, including pay for any repair if they decline to fix it (this would surprise me no end if they declined to foot the bill).

Please don't take chances with your safety.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
All respect to Dan, but I wouldn't try this.

A chip on the feedramp occurs if there's a fault in the forging of the barrel there - the ramp is a high wear spot because the nose of the bullet scrapes the feedramp. For it to fracture under what amounts to minimal load, there may be a fault in the steel that comprises the entire barrel; that problem may not be localized to just the ramp. This may mean that your barrel isn't safe to fire. If I were Ruger, I'd just replace it rather than risk a +P load blowing up your gun and possibly injuring the shooter.

If you work on it yourself and it blows up, then Ruger would not be responsible for anything that happens to it. My opinion is that you should do exactly as Ruger says, including pay for any repair if they decline to fix it (this would surprise me no end if they declined to foot the bill).

Please don't take chances with your safety.
I'm going to wait and see what Ruger says. Most people I've talked too say Ruger is pretty good about things like this even though they don't give you a written warranty. Thanks for your advice though, because you do make a very valid point. I'll keep you guys updated on what they say.

·
Registered
839 Posts
I had a problem SP101 that wasn't even a year old. Ruger wanted me to return it to them...at my expense. One way shipping was $75. After having dealt with other makers I was ticked I had to pay the high cost or shipping a problem gun. They also said they'd fix it...IF they found it to be their problem. If they didn't I would have to pay to get it back.

I decided to get rid of it. The thing only ran me $480 brand new...I wasn't going to drop some $75+ trying to fix it. I landed up with a S&W revolver....

I hope your issue works out well but I will have to think long and hard before I buy another Ruger with a return policy like that.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts