Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of buying an all stainless mini 14 with the stainless folding stock with black composit grip. It also comes with the factory wood furniture and three stainless ruger mags . one 20 rd one 30 rd and one 40 rd. the kid wants 550 for it, i was wondering if this was a good deal or if i should pass on it. thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
418 Posts
I keep hearing the minis are hit and miss. Some people love'em some have nothing but trouble and won't buy another one. I want one, but its further down on my list. I think the price is pretty good. In store new they are $699 with composite stock and stainless and only 1 mag.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
I know they used to have problems with accuracy, but from what I understand they made improvments and the new ones are supposed to be good.Because of this, personally if I bought one it would only be if it was new. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the input. i did some more research and decided not to get it. i think i will just save some more cash and try to get an ar15.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I have a mini-14 and really have never had any problem with it that wasn't induced by crap ammo (think Wolf) or cheap magazines. A Mini-14 that is consistently jamming probably has a magazine issue or needs cleaned.

If you insist on cheap magazines don't go over 20 rounds. I have a Ruger 30 round that feeds like a champ, but my other 30s and 40s jam or fail to feed every third round. I have some $5 20 round magazines that feed perfectly every time. It is also important to make sure the magazine is inserted properly. If the little tab doesn't go in the hole on the front of the magazine it won't feed.

You can put down 2 or 3 times as much money on an AR-15 and have all the same problems and then some.

The accuracy on the Mini-14 is close to that of an AR-15... Close enough for just about anything any of us are going to be doing anyway.

For some reason people hear Ruger and turn up their nose. Honestly, I don't think the company makes any truly crappy products. Even their handguns are ok- although ugly, heavy, and hard to support.

·
Premium Member
4,402 Posts
I wanted a Mini back in 2000 when you could still buy them for under 500 new, I honestly regret not picking one up now that they're going for 600+. I've shot a range buddie's mini on more then one occasion and have had zero hicups.

I would have jumped on the deal your were offered but that's just me, but until you get your AR your saving up for nothing else will do.

·
Registered
522 Posts
UM,

550, 3 mags, all SS...... do the math. 1/3rd the cost of an AR in todays world.

Everybody blames the weapon for a jam. Guess what, It's usually the magazine or the person behind the trigger. I had a Smith AR that would stovepipe every 2-3 rounds..... It WAS the weapon. Smith replaced the Bbl and gasblock.

So, just becuase you spend a butt load of money, doesn't make it "perfect". If you actually own a weapon you better use it and make sure it will cycle any and all ammo you can get your hands on. You want a reliable weapon that you know will perform, especially when the zombies are at the back door.

So, that being said, for a brush gun or close in work, a Ruger Mini is acceptable, just as a Desert Eagle would be. Just depends on how much you want to clean up. I'm gonna get flamed for that, but the comparison is valid. A 5.56 will travel through many a residential wall before stopping.... so use it wisely.

Besides, your are only going to use it for "target practice" anyway.... right?:D

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
My Mini is 100% reliable, very comfortable to shoot and plenty accurate (can hit 8" plates at 200yds offhand mostly in the center all day long).
Don't use Wolf.

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
You guys know you can get into an AR for less than $700 right. :roll:

You will have way more gun too. :wink:

·
Premium Member
7,518 Posts
That's actually my favorite rifle. It IS picky about mags though, there's a local gunstore that sells good ones in the 20 and 30rd variety. They just need a very slight lip adjustment to angle the bullets up just a bit, then they feed like the factory 5rd. As for the gun itself, make sure it has a good spring in it, you should probably keep a couple on hand. Make sure to use OIL, not grease. Make sure the gas port is open, and it will treat you well. I usually only shoot up to 100yds, but that's because I like the iron sights. I've had to do some tinkering with a mini 14 to get it sorted out for a friend. It's not so picky about mags, but if the tip of the bullet splats into the back of the receiver, check the angle of the bullets against a known good mag. Anyways, a good cleaning, oiling, and a new spring brought that one to life. I wouldn't mind a stainless mini 14, but I HATE folding stocks. Anyways, you have to know the minis to make them happy. The accuracy problem is one I've never encountered, even with the cheapest ammo I could find. :-|

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
I dont know if a $700 AR would be "more gun" with todays prices.
:confused:

I think a Del-Ton kit on an Essential Arms lower receiver is MUCH more gun. :wink:

·
Registered
408 Posts
i cant find any decent name AR15s in stock under $700
im not saying that a mini is better than even a cheap AR, but a Quality mini14 that costs less than a crappy Century or Oly arms would be a smarter buy, if you can even find one in stock.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I have owned two Mini 14s both of which were and are very reliable weapons when fed with good ammo and quality magazines used. They are also fairly accurate within the limitations of their sights.

Bottom line, I think they are fine weapons and will continue to keep at least one in my arsenal.

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
I'm getting more and more confused by the demands some guys have for accuracy out of some types of guns. Almost anyone will accept that an AK is inherently not accurate, but have a problem with a Mini 14 not being a tack-driver? What is the realistic expectations for a rifle that short to begin with? :confused:

·
Banned
8,565 Posts
I'm getting more and more confused by the demands some guys have for accuracy out of some types of guns. Almost anyone will accept that an AK is inherently not accurate, but have a problem with a Mini 14 not being a tack-driver? What is the realistic expectations for a rifle that short to begin with? :confused:
good point, or in more detail what does the 2 inch MOA fail you in hunting or hitting.

Its not top of my list, but my uncle has had one for 20 something years, he can hit prarie dogs with his all day, granted he does have about 20 other rifles from fancy to plain jane, but he does like his toys and can afford most any gun he could possibly want. Unless your competitive shooter it wont fail you in killing rodents and small game.

Another thing, has anyone every heard why ruger doesnt just get off there duff and make an AR15, I would appreciate the competition, and same with glock. Glock arguably has as much manufacturing expertise as anyone in the gun business, millions of die hards that would cream their pants for a glock ar15, and line up paying good money, but instead they stubbornly refuse to make what i want them to make. bastids. sorry for the rant.

also the down fall of the ruger mini 14 is the high price mags if your a obessive mag hoarder, they can be $60 for factory mags. kinda pricey in a world of $3 hkg3/91 mags, ak mags in the teens, $10 fal mags, etc.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts