Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up my Ruger LC9 this afternoon and after cleaning it I took it to the range for a little evaluation. I'd been wanting a smaller weapon for concealed carry--I'm from Wisconsin, and we're finally getting it--and after some fairly exhaustive research I chose the LC9.

In a word, I'd rate the LC9 as excellent. I recognize that my assessment may in part be biased as it may fit me differently than others, but I was not just pleasantly surprised--I was very pleased.

First, a few tidbits:

1. The trigger is pretty smooth, right out of the box. I'm sure it'll smooth out more, but it wasn't very hard to get a surprise break.

2. The trigger pull is quite long. I have my XDs set up with the Powder River package, which is short pretravel, light pull, and little overtravel. The trigger pull on the LC9 isn't too heavy; in fact, when I switched back to the XD-9 this afternoon, I had to be careful since the pre-travel is so short.

3. The loaded-chamber indicator, which is much larger than that on the XD, wasn't visible to me at all when I was shooting. It's a non-issue. I know some don't like it, but I wasn't aware of it in the least while shooting.

4. The magazine has the extended floorplate with the finger rest extension, which is great; I can get three fingers wrapped around the grip, whereas with the normal flat magazine floorplate, I can't do it.

5. I'd read where some of these smaller guns have a pretty significant recoil; this gun only weighs 17 ounces w/o ammo, and I expected a bit of a jumpy weapon. Only that didn't happen. I'm not recoil-averse anyway, I like recoil, it's part of the fun, but it was absolutely not a problem. I was able to control it easily and bring the gun back down on target and where it was supposed to be.

6. It's much smaller than the XD-9 service I have but I still was able to get a lot of skin on the grip.

Couple of pics showing the difference; in the first pic, there's an optical illusion, as the LC9 is significantly smaller than the XD Service:

Thinner? Try emaciated!

So how did I do? After 7 rounds, I felt like I could have been effective enough with the LC9 to carry it and perform nearly as well as my XD.

Slow fire at 7 yards (and I have to work on that leftward bias):

Then I decided to just empty the magazine as quickly as I could; I'd seen a guy on a Youtube video doing just that, and I tried as well, shooting as fast as I could pull the trigger and bring the gun back onto target, 8 rounds at 7 yards:

Downsides? There are a couple, but I don't consider them terribly serious.

1. Takedown requires something to poke out the takedown pin. I've read that when the weapon loosens up you can just smack the side of the gun into your hand and the pin will pop out. Not as convenient as the XD approach, but what else is?

2. The slide lock I cannot release with my thumb; I have to pull back on the slide to release it after inserting a newly-filled magazine. I've read this will loosen up too, but it's absolutely unmovable for now.

3. The gun only comes with one magazine. I bought mine for $359 plus tax, but in reality, I'll end up adding another $30 per magazine, and I want at least three of them. So add $60.

4. The gun does have an external safety which is easy to disengage, harder to engage. Some have indicated concerns about this, but it worked fine for me, and I don't see it inadvertantly activating.

So what's the verdict? I like it. I'm already self-defense-accurate enough with it, with no practice. I was able to put rounds on a 12x12 paper target at 50 feet, which is about as far as I would expect to be effective with a 3" barrel.

Now comes the search for a holster. :)

·
Registered
892 Posts
Good review. Glad you like it.

·
Registered
11,293 Posts
Nice write up! Good pics. I am also in the market for a pocket 9, and am looking at the LC9, Kahr CM9, and waiting for the arrival of the Beretta Nano.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Thanks for the report, Mongoose33 -- like to pick up a smaller 9mm for CCW and this gun is definitely on my list.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I was thinking about selling my LC9 after getting my XD45, but my wife talked me out of it. I believe she wants to CC it after she has the baby. I've shown her how to operate it, as my backup, should we have a home invasion, etc. She thinks I'm being paranoid, but she cant argue with the old "better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it."

·
Registered
464 Posts
Great review..I am looking at the lc9 also.

The LC9 has a slide LOCK, not a slide RELEASE.
thanks for correcting him, Im sure you had no clue what he was talking about.:-?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Shot an LC9 at the range this afternoon. Been reading up on them for awhile now. I definitely like the size. Relatively light and fits into my pocket. Right now my EDC is an XD45c so that is what I have to compare it to. The LC9 is pretty snappy, which didn't surprise me. I quickly found out what all the long trigger pull talk is all about. That would take some getting used to.

I need to find a Kahr CM9 that I can shoot as well. That one has some great reviews as well. For now I'm sticking with my trusty 45.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I need to find a Kahr CM9 that I can shoot as well. That one has some great reviews as well. For now I'm sticking with my trusty 45.
You may already know this, but in case you don't, the PM9 is basically the same as a CM9. Since the PM9 has been out longer, it may be easier to find.

I was able to try out a PM9, but unfortunately no one in my area has a LC9 to rent (they can't seem to keep them on the shelf, so it will be awhile before they'll rent them). Liked the feel in my hands of the LC9. Still waiting to see the new Beretta Nano in person. And hoping Springfield will enter the market.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I also have an lc9, shoots real nice. And I don't really worry about all the extra safeties that are on it because I don't even use them. Trigger pull is something that takes some getting use to, but after a few rounds its not that bad. But it is smooth as hell.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I also have an lc9, shoots real nice. And I don't really worry about all the extra safeties that are on it because I don't even use them. Trigger pull is something that takes some getting use to, but after a few rounds its not that bad. But it is smooth as hell.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk
I disassembled mine this afternoon and removed the magazine safety. Had a bit of a time as i ended up tapping out the hammer catch pin by mistake, it's a bit of an adventure to get that hammer catch back in place, but the last thing I tried worked!

Not as easy to detail strip as an XD, in my opinion, but I suppose that will improve with time.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Thanks guys. I've been debating between the LC9 and CM9. Buds labor day sale on LC9s pushed me over the edge. With shipping insurance and FFL fees I'll be in one for $374.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts