Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all,
I am currently in the market for a concealed carry gun and I've already narrowed carry options down to IWB carry but as far as guns go I'm still somewhat on the fence. I've been looking closely at the SR9C and like it a lot but it still needs a range test before I make my final decision. I like the balance, the grip angle, I'm not really a fan of a manual safety but if I'm packing it down the back of my pants I dont want to take any chances of blowing a chunk of my keester into the pavement. also I will probably end up removing the mag catch safety but I'm alright with that for the price. now I've asked about it on the "unbiased" forums but I instantly get swamped with people telling me that I'm a waterhead unless I buy a glock or a sig(hence coming here).

I do own an XDM45 and love it to death but I just like the ruger a little better for CCW than the XDM3.8.
so would anyone here recommend it
and just as a pre-emptive strike I do not want a glock, a M&P, A sig and definitely do not want a Khar.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Get it.

Since I got mine, I haven't carried my XD9sc anymore.

·
Registered
61 Posts
hello all,
I am currently in the market for a concealed carry gun and I've already narrowed carry options down to IWB carry but as far as guns go I'm still somewhat on the fence. I've been looking closely at the SR9C and like it a lot but it still needs a range test before I make my final decision. I like the balance, the grip angle, I'm not really a fan of a manual safety but if I'm packing it down the back of my pants I dont want to take any chances of blowing a chunk of my keester into the pavement. also I will probably end up removing the mag catch safety but I'm alright with that for the price. now I've asked about it on the "unbiased" forums but I instantly get swamped with people telling me that I'm a waterhead unless I buy a glock or a sig(hence coming here).

I do own an XDM45 and love it to death but I just like the ruger a little better for CCW than the XDM3.8.
so would anyone here recommend it
and just as a pre-emptive strike I do not want a glock, a M&P, A sig and definitely do not want a Khar.
I went through the same decisions a few months ago. Starting from about 20 different contenders, I narrowed my selection for a primary carry weapon down to the XDm9c 3.8, the Ruger SR9c and the S&W MP9c. It's the most thought I've ever invested into a gun purchase. The winner of the final three was the XDm9c, but it barely edged out the SR9c. I now have both. I still use the XDm9c 3.8 for primary carry, but that little SR9c is addictive! I like being able to carry nearly a full box of ammo either loaded or in a couple of extra mags with the XDm9c. The XDm9c is extremely accurate and I like the trigger pull. It has no mag safety, which I count as a good thing. It's a very comfortable gun to shoot.

That being said... that little Ruger is sexy and fun! I have a Ruger SR1911 with what I consider a near perfect trigger. But... the SR9c is just about as good as the 1911! It's about 5oz lighter than the XDm9c 3.8 and more narrow, except right where the breakdown pin goes. I find the grip at least as comfortable, if not more than the XDm9c. I wasn't able to rent an SR9c before buying. I did rent the XDm9c and the S&W MP9c. I have also shot the S&W MP45, which I really like. But you couldn't give me a (well, yes you could, but I'd sell it) an MP9c. I'd do more damage throwing the thing than shooting it. I wasn't happy with it's trigger pull or release and found I could not shoot it consistently. But the XDm9c was just about as easy to shoot well as my XDm45 4.5, which is in a tie for accuracy with my SR1911.

But the lure of the SR9c just wouldn't quit. Plus, it's quite a bit cheaper than the XDm9c! I bought one on impulse and it has quickly become one of my favorite guns. Some people don't like the thumb safety, but I actually do. The trigger is so light and there is virtually NO excess travel, I think having a thumb safety is a very good idea. As for accuracy, I can shoot it with results nearly as good as my XDm45 and SR1911, even up to 25 yards.

Knowing what I know now and if I could only have one of these guns, I would go with the SR9c. But you can't go wrong with either. I did a quick and dirty posting of my worksheet I used for comparison. If all goes well, you can view it here... or not! ;-)

BTW - if you have some experience with the Ruger SR9, the SR9c has several improvements over the SR9, especially that incredible trigger!

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
jlh820,

thank you for that spread sheet it was very helpful. it's nice to have stats laid out all in a row instead of having to compare from 3 different site with different layouts.
little more information and a
I'm right handed so I dont really have to worry about ambi safety.
I am trying to budget as much as possible so that put the SR9c just ahead of everything else at the get-go.
I prefer black just beacuse I dont want sunglare to catch my gun as easily
I've shot a few M&P full sizes and all of them had super crappy triggers, did they improve the triggers for the M&Pc like ruger did or not?

·
Registered
287 Posts
My wife just got one 2 weeks ago. She loves it. She carries in a soft holster IWB @ 1'oclock position. She originally wanted some Tauras Slim, but after going to several gun shops they pretty much stopped selling them because of " quality issues". She picked the SR9c over the LC9 because of the manual safety. She felt more secure knowing she could quickly disengage the safety vs. racking a round since she's not 100% comfortable carrying a round in the chamber just yet.

The only problem I've seen so far at the range is it doesn't like cheap bullets. While testing out some other 9mm we were told we had to use "their ammo" which i believe were very weak reloads. We had a few extras so we put them into the SR9C and it seems the rounds didn't have enough power to eject the spent case and rack the next round. We just kept getting stove pipes after another. I put in some Blaser and no issues. Tried the range reloads, and it started again. So just make sure you use quality ammo and you shouldn't have any problems.

Also we had to adjust the sights from the factory. They seems to be configured for about 1-2 yards in front of you. Anything further than that we were about 5-7 inches high. We lowered the rear sight down and were hitting right on the money about 25 yards out.

Lastly, field stripping seems a bit touchy. Maybe it's because I'm spoiled on how easily my XDM breaksdown but sometimes it feels like things just don't slide or line up the way they should. It seems to be getting better but you might notice that as well.

Hope this helps and good luck with the purchase.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The only problem I've seen so far at the range is it doesn't like cheap bullets. While testing out some other 9mm we were told we had to use "their ammo" which i believe were very weak reloads. We had a few extras so we put them into the SR9C and it seems the rounds didn't have enough power to eject the spent case and rack the next round. We just kept getting stove pipes after another. I put in some Blaser and no issues. Tried the range reloads, and it started again. So just make sure you use quality ammo and you shouldn't have any problems.
I've heard that some of them don't like hard primers, was that the first time you shot it? I think it has a 250 round break in process but I'm not sure. I wonder if it starts to "agree" with cheap ammo after a quick breakin? I have about 3000 rounds of 9mm built up that's anywhere from new BVAC reloads to winchester whitebox, I do have an old box of black talons but being 10-20 years old(not quite sure when they discontinued it) but I'm not sure if I'd trust my life with it anymore.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I've heard that some of them don't like hard primers, was that the first time you shot it? I think it has a 250 round break in process but I'm not sure. I wonder if it starts to "agree" with cheap ammo after a quick breakin? I have about 3000 rounds of 9mm built up that's anywhere from new BVAC reloads to winchester whitebox, I do have an old box of black talons but being 10-20 years old(not quite sure when they discontinued it) but I'm not sure if I'd trust my life with it anymore.
Actually i didn't even consider the break in process and yes that was the first time taking it out. We only put about 200 rounds through it i think. I guess that could have been the issue, but i also still think those crappy reloads didn't help.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Actually i didn't even consider the break in process and yes that was the first time taking it out. We only put about 200 rounds through it i think. I guess that could have been the issue, but i also still think those crappy reloads didn't help.
I would have to agree, not all guns can be XDMs, :-| I guess if I have ammo my SR9c doesn't like I always have an AR15 in 9MM that I can try it in, and it doesn't like it I can borrow my brothers XDM9 and have funn shooting with that:twisted:

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
I held one at a local shop last night. Was amazed at how balanced and light it felt with the 17 round mag. Pretty sure I will be trading my XD for one at some point. I think it would be a good choice.

·
Registered
61 Posts
jlh820,

thank you for that spread sheet it was very helpful. it's nice to have stats laid out all in a row instead of having to compare from 3 different site with different layouts.
little more information and a
I'm right handed so I dont really have to worry about ambi safety.
I am trying to budget as much as possible so that put the SR9c just ahead of everything else at the get-go.
I prefer black just beacuse I dont want sunglare to catch my gun as easily
I've shot a few M&P full sizes and all of them had super crappy triggers, did they improve the triggers for the M&Pc like ruger did or not?
You're most welcome. I'm glad it could be helpful for someone else. It was driving me nuts going to all the different sites and trying to find the stats, let alone compare them.

RE MP9c trigger: I know the full sized MP45 hasn't got the greatest reputation as far as triggers go, but it was great compared to the MP9c. Not only did the 9c have a long travel, but it seemed to break at different points. Granted, this was a rental and the shop told me that MP's were their number one rental, but the gun I shot had serious problems. If it is a good representation of MP9c's, then they are just not in the same league as the XDm9c or the SR9c.

RE breakdown: I listed that on the spreadsheet as a negative for the Ruger. I too have been spoiled by the ease at which XD/XDm's breakdown. I've only fired a couple hundred rounds through the SR9c and cleaned it 3 times, but I still can't get that pin out with my bare hands. But, that's why God made punches! ;-) And, it is getting easier - just not easy yet. ;) You also have to move the ejector out of the way before removing the slide and it has a mag disconnect (you can't fire it without a magazine in place), which I personally don't care for.

Something I didn't put on the spreadsheet, because I didn't have the data - the SR9c is harder to rack the slide than the XDm9c and the slide release is difficult for me to actuate with one thumb. It's probably a little harder gun to use than the XDm9c if hand strength is an issue. But it shoots like a dream!

For either gun, the mag loaders that come with them aren't that great, but the XDm is better than what the Ruger comes with. I doubt most people can fully load a 19 rnd XDm mag by hand. My advice, if you haven't already got one, pick up a Butler Creek Universal Mag UPLULA (loader/unloader). It's the best $25 you'll ever spend. A friend of mine who really doesn't even like guns was having a blast loading up my XDm mags with it this morning. That's goes to show what a great little invention that thing is.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Something I didn't put on the spreadsheet, because I didn't have the data - the SR9c is harder to rack the slide than the XDm9c and the slide release is difficult for me to actuate with one thumb. It's probably a little harder gun to use than the XDm9c if hand strength is an issue. But it shoots like a dream!

For either gun, the mag loaders that come with them aren't that great, but the XDm is better than what the Ruger comes with. I doubt most people can fully load a 19 rnd XDm mag by hand. My advice, if you haven't already got one, pick up a Butler Creek Universal Mag UPLULA (loader/unloader). It's the best $25 you'll ever spend. A friend of mine who really doesn't even like guns was having a blast loading up my XDm mags with it this morning. That's goes to show what a great little invention that thing is.
I've never used lulas, I've always loaded by hand and never had much problem with XDMs, glocks, AKs or my M4 but man the UZI mags that my 9mm AR15 uses are the worst thing I've ever tried to load by hand, definitely don't have to worry about thumb strength with me lol. fully load a couple of those 32 rounders and your thumb'll feel like it's about to fall off for a week

·
Registered
4,218 Posts
If you purchased a Springfield EMP, you would carry cocked and locked. And you would train with pulling the safety down as you pulled it from the holster.

Treat the SR9c in the same manner. You could carry it with the safety off, which would not be that different than what you would encounter with a Glock. But you would still need to have muscle memory trained to pull that safety down in case it was engaged, so you might as well engage it and train with it as such.

You can think of the 1 in a billion chance where a bad guy pulls your SR9C out of your holster and then pulls the trigger and nothing happens. Very minor food for thought.

It's a slim gun with an interesting trigger. If the gun is comfortable for you to shoot and you can develop confidence in its ability, get it and train with the safety feature.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I just bought one recently and fired fifty rds just to start breaking it in. Yesterday I aimed a bit more and fired fifty more rds.
I have bifocals and it's hard to see the sights. I'm over 70. However I shot this at 35ft and wasn't trying to get 2" grps,just shooting to hit the targets. I shot center mass first and then went for the head. The two flyers are the result of trying to pull the trigger fast.
I really like this gun,especially the price.

·
Registered
7,016 Posts
I hear a lot of good things about the SR9c, and they are fast sellers too. Finding one may not be easy because of their popularity. My was garbage and after I got if fixed, I sold it. But there are a lot more happy owners than ones like me who got one of the few melons. I may still get one later on because it is one of the nicest feeling, easiest shooting guns I ever owned. The sights are good and easy to pick up fast. Well, for me they were. You do get a lot of gun for the money which is good.

And if you want something more than a 9mm, the SR40c is also now available. It has one full-size mag of 15 rounds and one compact mag of 9 rounds. I still prefer the SR9c, but that is from personal preferance. The trigger has virtually no take-up so it goes *bang* real fast. The manual safety comes in handy because of that for those who are concerned with the trigger. Great trigger, just goes *bang* without much pull if you know what I am trying to say. Crisp, clean break with no squishyness.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I saw a SR9c do a belly flop while attending TDI. Failures to feed, failure to go fully into battery, failure to fire when in battery. All intermittent but still not good for a defensive tool. It was brand new. The guy was ready to pull out his hair. All the folks at TDI looked it over and couldn't determine the problem. Dave Bowie said he had seen this type failure before. Dave is a gunsmith so I give him a pretty wide latitude in the opinions. He is brutally honest when it comes to guns. He is not going to sugar coat it because you are paying for a class. He said and I agree, that this isn't the platform to trust your life on.
I'll also add they tore it down, lubed it and couldn't get it to consistently run.

I am not down on Ruger at all. I own three. I carry a LCP that has never failed me. I have a MKII with Lord knows how many rounds outa it. A pallet full I would guess. I have a GP100 that is a freaking sledgehammer reliable gun.

YMMV

1 - 17 of 17 Posts