Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just got a Ruger SR9. I haven't been able to shoot it yet. I've done some dry firing and the trigger is stiff. Does anyone know if there is a way to loosen it up?

Also, are there any duty holsters out for it yet? I'm wondering if I should have got it this early after its release.

ETA: Range report at bottom of page. Post #11.

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
I just got a Ruger SR9. I haven't been able to shoot it yet. I've done some dry firing and the trigger is stiff. Does anyone know if there is a way to loosen it up?

Also, are there any duty holsters out for it yet? I'm wondering if I should have got it this early after its release.
shoot it a lot:mrgreen:

·
Registered
441 Posts

I'm pretty sure I read that it fits well in Glock holsters. But you'd have to make sure of that and find the right model.

BK

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Congrats on the purchase. One thing I've heard about the SR9 is that if the magazine isn't inserted while dry firing that it can be very stiff and/or gritty.

Can't help you as far as holsters go. It might be worth asking someone at your local gunstore.

·
Registered
855 Posts
I got to shoot one mag thru an SR9 a month ago. While it was a great shooter the trigger had a definite "snap" to it that I didn't like too much. It will probably loosen up with use tho.

As for holsters, if you can't find any locally check the 'net. If all else fails, check them out on eBay. I just did a search and there are some available.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
One of my buddies bought one a few months back he carries his in a universal Galco holster made for XD's, Glocks and the like. I can't seem to find the link right now. I'll ask him tomorrow what holster it is. He already has about 1k rounds through it. The trigger is pretty nice after the 1k rounds. I like my XD's trigger better and so does he but the SR9's tigger is not horrible. And 17+1 is alot of bang for one mag....Dayum I can't imagine the 19+1 of the new XDM9!!!! Sorry to get off tangent with that (M) comment. Congrats on the pistol purchase and good luck.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So, it looks like I better start shooting. :D I'll check out some Glock holsters. It seems a lot of people are mentioning those. Does anyone carry an SR9 on duty?

·
Registered
7,016 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
One of the SR9 reviews I read said that dry-firing WITHOUT a magazine inserted results in a "gritty, stiff" trigger pull. Dry fire WITH an empty mag installed is supposedly normal. (interesting!)

Jim

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So, on Monday night I took the new SR9 out to the range. Here's how it went:

I shot WWB 115 gr. FMJ 9mm ammo. I didn't really notice the stiff trigger once I started shooting. It's a straight shooter and recoil is light. The reset is also pretty nice. It's a little long but it's light. Those are the good things.

About halfway through the first mag, it didn't push a round all the way into the breech. So I tapped the slide foreward and fired. The casing stove piped as it ejected. Could've been a bad round. I shot through about 8 mags altogether and had 7 or 8 bad feeds, which were fixed by a tap to the slide, or sometimes just pulling the trigger pulled it forward.

When I got home I cleaned it and noticed all the grease from the factory, which I noticed when I cleaned it before even shooting it, I just didn't bother with it because I was cleaning the barrel. I wiped up all the grease and it seems the slides moves easier now. I don't know if it will solve anything.

Another thing I noticed is that the SR9 got really hot, really fast. After about 75 rounds I could've cooked an egg on it. My XD and G23 have never got that hot that fast.

So, do you SR9 owners have any of these problems? If so, how can I go about correcting them?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts