Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
been tossing around the idea of a ruger revolver for carry. I see ruger has the SP101 without a hammer and a few different barrel lengths in 357. i want a 357 but are there pro or cons to one with out a hammer. also the barrel length looks like they go up to 3 inch. what you think would be best.thanks
guns are addicting. waiting for my wifes MK111 hunter to come in should be here this weekend.

·
Registered
29,621 Posts
It's not hammerless...it just has a bobbed hammer.;)

The pros of it would be there's no hammer spur to catch on clothing, etc when carrying or drawing; the cons are it no longer has the capability of single-action fire (something one is unlikely to do when using it in self defense, but is a sticking point for some folks).

I'd go with a 3" barrel; it adds a wee bit more oomph to that round.

·
Premium Member
12,086 Posts
We bought one primarily for the Mrs. to use. Even though we're still figuring out the best way for her to CCW it, we plan on using it for fun time at the range as well, so we opted for the model with the conventional hammer and the 3" barrel. It shoots nicely and she has the option of single-action fire for pleasure shooting.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i like the fact there heaver then LCR's.. i see the point on the bobbed hammer.. what you think most people will like better hammer or not.. its going to be a range gun to..so is there anything i should know about these guns..??? thanks guys for the help so far.

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
Love my SP 101. I have only carried it a few times. It does conceal well. I prefer the 2.5" barrel. While I have the .357 version, I carry 38sp +P rounds in it. The .357 rounds are a handful. The smaller Badger Boot grips help with concealment.

·
Registered
950 Posts
I have the 2.5" in .357 love the gun but kinda heavy to carry. It's ok once you get use to the weight. Put a Hogue grip on mine I have big hands but is easily concealed.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I just got mine, 2 inch .357 with crimson trace, gotta agree it is a handful with the 57's but the crimson trace makes it easier to hold on to, waiting on a holster to carry it. But I do have a lcr in both 38 and 357 and the 101 is much eaiser to hold on to whin running full loads.

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
I did get an OWB holster for my SP 101 from Garrett Industries, one of our sponsors below. Its beautiful and holds the gun nice and tight to your side.

American Heritage Leather Holster

·
Premium Member
127,272 Posts
It's a nice carry piece, but a little heavy.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thnkas pretty sure im going to get it. might as well get a good holster to..i have to wait for the wifes 22 to come in. ill never buy a gun from that place its been over 2 weeks. should have gotten it from buds

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
Sweet gun, I like my S&W 442 better for an every day conceal carry. I figure .38 +P is plenty to get the job done.

·
Premium Member
24,885 Posts
I had one and liked it, but it was a bit heavy for what I wanted to use it for. Went with the Smith 642 instead.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
My wife carries the bobbed hammer .357 with crimson trace. She usually purse carries, or has it in a thigh rig. She steps down to a PM9 in an IWB holster when wearing jeans.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
rented it yesturday. liked it alot it shot 38's way better then the 642 i shot.. i want to try a few more guns then decide. but this is real high on my list. i did my CCW yesturday went good cant wait to get it and start carrying.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have an SP101 with a three inch barrel and love it. I kind of purchased it on a whim and glad I did. Great pistol. My only complaint is the trigger pull. It's a little heavy.

Chris

·
Registered
338 Posts
Husky
I fired a ruger SP101 hamerless recently (150 Rounds) and found the final stage when pulling the trigger through it went to a slight catch and a lighter trigger pull making for more accurate shooting so this might give you a better ensight when undecided about the DAO.
I found it to be a fine accurate Revolver.

·
Registered
5,287 Posts
Here's the two SP101's I've CC'd. Top one is my Gemini Custom and bottom is the one I bought for my Mom as a CC/HD gun.

When I CC the SP101, it's in an Occidental IWB holster with a Wilderness 3 stitch belt.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Had an SP101 in .357 for a few weeks. Just too heavy, and .357 loads were painful.

Going with an LCR in .38 instead :)

·
Registered
60 Posts
I had a 2.25" SP101 a few years back but sold it. A couple years ago I replaced it with the 3" version. The recoil of the 3" is a little less snappy IMO. It's not a night and day difference but it's noticeable, especially with .357 magnum. SP101s are a little hefty but a proper gun belt and holster will mitigate how much the weight affects your comfort.

·
Premium Member
2,689 Posts
i used to have a 3 inch and loved it. got rid of it a couple years ago. recently bought the new 4 inch version and love it. its my go to outdoors gun

1 - 20 of 45 Posts