Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I've inherited my dad's Ruger MkI (serial trace to 1955) and I'm having a bit of a dilemma. Once I cleaned fifty years of snot out of the thing, it won't chamber HPs. I have a lot of HPs, and would like to use them. However, the points just jam straight into the feed ramp, almost centered. Would my best course of action (assuming I want to get them working) be to weld an extension on the feed ramp, then smooth it and polish it, or is this going to be a loss? I have MIG, various metals, all kinds of tools; mechanically it doesn't confront me, I'd just like to hear someone say I'm not batshit insane to consider it. Should I have it done by an expert? Or just not done at all and live with the ammunition limitations? What say you?

·
Registered
272 Posts
That'll teach you to clean things ;) Assuming, of course, that this wasn't a problem prior to the cleaning.
While I suppose a bit of skillful metalwork could fix the issue, wouldn't it just be easier to just buy a brick or two of round nose ammo?
While it may not become a uber-collectable, modifying the feed ramp certainly won't help it's value. Mk1s aren't exactly Holy grail items, but there is interest and they aren't exactly growing on trees. If it were me, I'd let it go into semi-retirement (Occasion use/Sunday drives) & get a used MK2 or 3 for general use.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Have you tried a new magazine? Many problems with feed problems can be traced to the mag follower or feed lips. Come to think of it, have you disassembled, cleaned, and lubed the mag? A dragging follower can certainly cause the problem you describe.

In my experience, most MkI Rugers will digest almost anything. Look into other possible problems before modifying the pistol. Also, a feed ramp may not be practical, as the protrusion would likely snag the nose of the bullet as it rose/fed from the mag. A better solution may be to very lightly "throat" and polish the existing ramp.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Would try to eliminate all other posible causes before doing metal work. What kind of ammo are you talking about 22 hornets? Not an expert but they have different shape and the HP's should be close to round nose's. If any thing some different ammo first. Those Rugers are quite well know for reliability.

·
Premium Member
24,885 Posts
Or just not done at all and live with the ammunition limitations?
In a word..."Yes!"

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh you wouldn't believe the snot that was in there, it was various shades of yellow and green. I have been using the original mag, as newer ones seem to have an issue with removal. I'll check it out. I would like the thing to eat what I feed it though, and if a quick mod would fix that, then great. Otherwise, a Mod II or III wouldn't be a bad addition to the family; I'm just that kinda guy.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, once I've done watching "The Nude Vampire" I'm off to the local outlet to see if they have any II/III's available. Not in a welding mood. Doesn't sound worth it. I'll just find something it'll eat.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, problem solved. Finished watching "Nude Vampire" (not that great a movie) then went over to Gander & picked up a model III. It should eat about anything, and the model I can eat what it eats. No problem. Now i could do with a little something to eat, myself.

·
Banned
38,922 Posts
Hi. I've inherited my dad's Ruger MkI (serial trace to 1955) and I'm having a bit of a dilemma. Once I cleaned fifty years of snot out of the thing, it won't chamber HPs. I have a lot of HPs, and would like to use them. However, the points just jam straight into the feed ramp, almost centered. Would my best course of action (assuming I want to get them working) be to weld an extension on the feed ramp, then smooth it and polish it, or is this going to be a loss? I have MIG, various metals, all kinds of tools; mechanically it doesn't confront me, I'd just like to hear someone say I'm not batshit insane to consider it. Should I have it done by an expert? Or just not done at all and live with the ammunition limitations? What say you?
Live with it ... If you fire up that MIG, you might as well use an Oxy-acetylene set, and melt it down ;)

Well, problem solved. Finished watching "Nude Vampire" (not that great a movie) then went over to Gander & picked up a model III. It should eat about anything, and the model I can eat what it eats. No problem. Now i could do with a little something to eat, myself.
Problem solved, or problem sitting on a shelf

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey, ya know what? I've disassembled the MkIII and WOW! The feed ramp is extended just exactly like I was proposing to do on the MkI! I was right after all. An engineer's job is never done.

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
You could start a new thread, "Most extreme repair work to solve a feeding problem" I bet no one could top using a mig welder on their 22 feed ramp.:razz:

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, sorry, I'm not takin that thing apart again for a while. You ever try to put a MkX back together? I still have a headache. Anyway, the MkI feed ramp is too short. It doesn't go down far enough for the HPs to engage, and they jam into the edge. Pointier ones feed ok. It needs metal added, so Elmer's glue isn't gonna cut it. Got anything better than a MIG for that? It's not like I'd be melting down the whole upper, just tacking a little square onto the end of the ramp, but it would need to be stuck well, what with bullets smashing into it and all.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts