Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went out in the desert earlier today, and was able to convert a buddies Ruger p95 30rd mag to work in my XD40 Service. I was able to get 34 rounds in it, and it fed perfectly. Just needed a new notch cut in it and it was good to go. Still functions perfectly in his ruger as well.
I need to find some for myself. His is one of the olde ruger factory mags.
IJ

·
Registered
67 Posts
Ruger P Series pistol mags will probably work well in most XD's. If you do a comparison, the feed angle is slightly different, due to grip/frame angle being slightly different. With round nose or conical nose bullets, this is apparently okay. Modification, by carefully cutting the proper mag retention hole should be all that is necessary. As with any XD, ammo used may be a factor in reliabiltiy.

I have yet to modify one for my XD's, (that will be next) but have been working with the 32 round 9mm extended mags intended for the Ruger PC9 Carbine, for my Ruger PC4 Carbine. Ruger or aftermarket magazine suppliers do not offer a extended mag for the .40 SW cartridge, yet 32 round mags are available for the P series pistols. ( anyway--I was unable to find any .40's) By opening up the feed lips of the 9mm magazine from approx .346 (Straight) to .400 at the front, tapered to .365 at the rear, the .40 SW cartridges feed flawlessly in my PC4 carbine. I now have modified 6 magazines that give me 20 round capability in the PC4 versus 10 round factory mag's.

Pro Mag 32 round 9mm P series mags are available from "Cheaper than Dirt" for $22.00 each, item # MAG-441. Pro Mag offers a lifetime warranty on these magazines, which I'm sure is voided by modification for XD or .40 SW use. Caution, alteration of any firearm or accessory should be done with care, and readers of this post assume any liability for thier own actions.

My last online order indicated they had about 60 of the 32 round mags in stock. Curt, mgtd

·
Registered
16 Posts
I am looking at getting a Ruger PC4GR 40 S&W to go with my XD40 tactical. I'm not sure if I'm reading this right but could I use my XD40 mags in the Ruger with minor modification and still be able to use them in the XD40?

Thanks.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I haven't got to that stage, as of yet, but from the checking I've gone, I think it is highly possible, fit in the magwell seems perfect. There may be a slight angular difference in the feed lips, but I think that is negligable. The magazine retention notch to fit the Ruger PC4 would need to be added to the XD magazines, and that should not effect use in the XD40. If you get around to trying it before I do, let me know the result.

I love the PC4, and like the idea of bult ammo purchses.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I just tried my XD40 mags in the PC4GR today and other than the fact I had to hold them in place they worked perfectly. I just need to drill an extra hole about an inch below the existing mag catch hole and they will work just fine in the Ruger Carbine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts