Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Ruger Model GS32N, .357 cal, SS, short bbl revolver, marked NIS. No history can I find, except it was a government contract, but never issued to military. It has been fired with .38 cal. rds, making it fun to shoot.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
If NIS is what I think, it means Naval Investigative Service. Navy detectives. NCIS is based on the current version.
Don't know what they used when I was in the Navy, but the military isseud Ruger Security Sixes to a lot of security personell during the "80's.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply about my Ruger NIS. I have previously owned two Ruger Security Six in SS, but barrels were longer. This is better for CC, since it has a short barrel.
Apparently there is not a lot of info out there, about this model? Unless I just haven't located the right source for info on this model. A Q&A email to Ruger a couple of years ago did not warrant a reply from them. It doesn't matter now...I plan to keep it anyway. It's more "fun" to shoot with .38 rounds , and cheaper. :D

·
Registered
1 Posts
The Ruger GS-32N was made in 1 lot of 500 weapons for a bid submission/ approval to compete for approval as a SEAL Team sidearm. Fortunately for collectors, it hit the dock at Coronado the same week as the first Glock 17's and we know how that ended (Tupperware is even Better in salt water:wink:). It is made for deployment in a high-saline environment(the grips are Teak), and when I got mine back in the day, the sight would flouresce in salt water, but doesn't do it now. I have several Speed- and Security-Sixes, including a duty weapon from my cop days, and they continue to be my favorite small caliber wheel gun.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts