Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading up online enough to know the general consensus. What I cannot find however is a couple of things.

I will be investing in a 4.5" barrel new vaquero & am having the trouble of which round to get it chambered in. I like big bore guns & the originality of .45lc in old revolvers. I do not currently reload so I realize that can get pricey in .45lc, but I plan to later on.

What I'm having trouble with is how effective is the .45lc? I know the new vaqueros WILL NOT safely handle any hot or +p loads, but they no longer make the old models so I'm stuck with the newer model....I don't like buying used much. I've tried to search on the effectiveness of a .45lc round & everyone seems to think it's a really good round loaded hot - that's just it though...the New vaquero only takes standard pressure rounds.

I am enrolling in a single action revolver self defense course soon & just wanted to know if .45lc standard pressure rounds would be a good man stopper for a CCW or if .357 would suit better (penetration would be something to worry about in .357).

If I opted for the .45lc I would be using 250gr Speer Gold Dots (mainly because that's the only .45lc factory ammo I know of). Is this an effective load? I keep hearing .45lc non +p loads may have unreliable expansion.

·
Premium Member
24,884 Posts
You're good to go with either. If max loads (Ruger only) are your concern, go with the Blackhawk instead.

·
Premium Member
127,710 Posts
^ What he said! You can't go wrong either way.

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
There are cheaper options than Speer Gold Dots in factory loads. Ultramax is a "Cowboy" factory load.

It really boils down to personal preference. When you start reloading, it should matter less what you have. It will cut down on cost and open up your load options.

·
Banned
38,920 Posts
The 45LC worked well in the wild wild west ;)

As others have said, either will do ... But seriously,
Why do you want the CCW handicap of a single action revolver, when there are better options ??

·
Registered
45 Posts
I've been a member of the Single Action Shooting Society for over 10 years shooting Vaqueros and other single actions a LOT. That said, I rarely carry one as a CCW. Usually, I have a an LCP as a bug. Wouldn't be my first choice. It comes up occasionally on the SASS web site and the vast majority of shooters say they don't do it either. Since I'm from Wisconsin, I couldn't have carried anything before our new law comes in to effect. Just sayin'.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
I've owned both, 45LC Old Vaquero and a 357 Mag New Vaquero. That being said I must say that I favored the 45. For a standard pressure SD round you can't go wrong with the Winchester PDX1.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I decided on .45lc & looked into reloading equipment. However after looking at Rugers website under the faqs it says you should not use reloads in Ruger revolvers, any ammunition other than factory destroys your firearm so they say.

I know this is for precaution to some extent, but I don't want to reload just to hurt my ruger.

Any opinions on this?

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
I decided on .45lc & looked into reloading equipment. However after looking at Rugers website under the faqs it says you should not use reloads in Ruger revolvers, any ammunition other than factory destroys your firearm so they say.

I know this is for precaution to some extent, but I don't want to reload just to hurt my ruger.

Any opinions on this?
This is only so Ruger (and any firearms company) can cover their collective, legal a$$. A reload isn't necessarily going to hurt your gun. You can reload up or down the power spectrum. Since Ruger (or any other firearm company) can not control the quality and power of your reloads, and you might accidentally blow up your gun,..... they say that reloads void your warranty.

If it was factory ammunition that blew up your gun, then you have other legal recourses for recouping your loss/es.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well if I did reload I would copy a factory loads data or make it less powerful just incase.

·
Premium Member
24,884 Posts
Well if I did reload I would copy a factory loads data or make it less powerful just incase.
I shoot reloads (Georgia Arms) exclusively through my Blackhawk Convertible. 200 gr. SWC in .45 ACP. Talk about a joy to shoot.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts